Simplistic NJFET RIAA

a 4way single pole dip switch could allow "live" exchanging of resistor load. The same can be done for capacitance loading, but due to stored charge I would not do caps "live".

Fixed resistor at highest usable value. Say 2k
Switch1 brings in 3k for an effective // combination of 1k2
sw2 1k5 for 860r or 667r
sw3 750r,
sw4 330r.
All switched in gives a lowest value of 170r5. That's a good range of 16 adjustments for a switch and 4 extra resistors.
You can choose any resistor values you think would suit your system and any likely future needs/loads.

I dont thinks is too critical ...
as if we thinks at all variable in play..caps resistor ,shunt, traking force , vta ,azimut ,wire...

ES. in my system (5r cartridge) max 150ohm with riken , min 180ohm with shinkoh....

with 1k and 500r you can cover 333r too ,no need on the fly to ear .......

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The VLF roll-off is largely pre-determined by the inter-stage cap's value to 2nd stage's input impedance. The output capacitor to next in the chain impedance will aid further. In phono, rumble is a problem. 2Hz -3dB argued in that link can be nice in line stages, plus it sells bigger boutique cap$. Your CCT along with 2.2uF output cap to 27K input Z line pre or amp, is simulated. It gives a shape as shown attached, when fed from textbook Lipschitz inverse Riaa. Measurements in previous builds showed that the modeling is largely valid. I think you mentioned you could already follow the beyond 100kHz roll-off on your scope even.

Attachments

• BkSabFRsim.gif
    BkSabFRsim.gif
    7.9 KB · Views: 305
Yes Salas

I can see now that using a bigger capacitor would have been a mistake.

I take that as we are dealing with Jfets (hi impedance in) those are mostly set by R1 47K and R5 1 M and in my case with prepre 220K

I am using the following document posted on this forum as reference.
Salas-RIAA-V1102F0.pdf

By the way I did manage to have a proper listen with the house empty
My current set up is ProjectRPM5 with Goldring Elite
An old Akay SS1 as Pre F5 mono-blocks and Polk LS15i

Even on the first take with cheap and nasty components I was really impressed
And ended up listening to many more tracks that I at first intended to.

Gain that I did not have with my previous set up is there and maybe more than I need to

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Its good you got gain. Hope it can do enough SPL for you on F5 alone even. Just decide an adequate capacitor good for rumble for your next stage most likely to be used. See that the bass is enough and male voices are full when no woofer cones are pumping much by records eccentricity etc. and you will be well set. That minimum value will up detail and leave dow for better quality when ordering your better one. Most important than parts, make its shunt PSU.

load

A thing is not clear ,why active and step-up have difference load value !!!??

active: 400-1k . . . . stepup : 40-100r

A lot around are happy to use the DL-103 with a Cinemag CMQEE-3440A step-up 1:35.4 turns ratio ,47Kohms / 37.5^2= 37.5 ohm !!!

we end up with a load of 37.5r ,Why?
as near the same of 40r internal imp. the output voltage is reduced 1/2

Discussion on MC Cartridge Loading

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hagerman Technology LLC: Cartridge Loading

http://www.kandkaudio.com/mccartsetup.html

http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridge_database_tools.php#StepUpLoading

http://www.galibierdesign.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=296#p296

http://www.theanalogdept.com/sut.htm

The Tx has no impedance different of what it reflects from secondary to primary. I would recommend the standard 47k for secondary and to listen with it. Although it may seem intuitive to load with say 18k to get 180 Ohm, sometimes they download and lose gain or have worse transient response. Also the reflected load on a Tx primary has different damping subjective effect that you would expect if it was a resistor. The Tx has limited response and pulse. No, don't put resistors in the primary.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
A thing is not clear ,why active and step-up have difference load value !!!??

active: 400-1k . . . . stepup : 40-100r

A lot around are happy to use the DL-103 with a Cinemag CMQEE-3440A step-up 1:35.4 turns ratio ,47Kohms / 37.5^2= 37.5 ohm !!!

we end up with a load of 37.5r ,Why?
as near the same of 40r internal imp. the output voltage is reduced 1/2

Discussion on MC Cartridge Loading

As per your calculations 1:35.4 = 30.98dBs : 2 = 15.49dBs

103 output 0.3mV to get 3mV is a necessary a factor x10 = 20dBs so you aren't to far about necessary gain.

Nope

quote from Ve

"A step-up modifies the impedance of the output by a factor equal to the square of the amplification ratio. (ok we know well)
This is known as ‘natural impedance’. A word of caution: by itself, a step-up doesn’t have any impedance. The natural impedance is directly linked to the impedance of your MM entry and to the amplification ratio.
So, a step-up with an amplification ratio of 10 has a natural impedance and load impedance of 470 ohms (if your MM input impedance is 47 kohms: 470=47000/10²)"

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi thanks Ricardo but you miss the point...

why the load seen by the dl103 is different form active or step-up ?

If you want the DL103 to "see" 470ohm, you can use a 1x10 SUT with a 47000ohm in the secondary.

That way, the load for the DL103 will be R(Load effective) = Rload / (SutR)^2

470 = 47000 / 10^2 = 47000 / 100

If you want the DL103 to "see" a load of 1000r, than you need to have a 100kr in the secondary instead of 47k. 1000 = 100000 / 10^2 = 100000 / 100

If you want to determine Vout in the SUT secondary, you can use:
Vout real= (R(Load effective) / (R(Load effective) + Rcart)) x Vcart

So if your "plain" DL103 outputs 0.3mV, using the formula you have Vout real = 2.8mV

Vout real= (470/(470+40)) x 0.3 = 2.8, where Rcart = 40 for the DL103

The more you increase the load (lower resistor) the lower will be the cart Vout real.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Yes, you are right the natural impedance of step-up is directly linked by the impedance of MM usually 47K but as you said also "amplification ratio of step-up" so the amplification ratio of each step-up is the only variation to calculate the natural impedance & load impedance because the Moving Magnet input has its own impedance generally equal to 47 Kohms.

Yes, you are right the natural impedance of step-up is directly linked by the impedance of MM usually 47K but as you said also "amplification ratio of step-up" so the amplification ratio of each step-up is the only variation to calculate the natural impedance & load impedance because the Moving Magnet input has its own impedance generally equal to 47 Kohms.

Merlin we are diy , gain and R input is not the problem.....

example:
A man is Happy with dl103-Salas jfet -load at 500r

He want try the itch ,search right gain stepup and add a // resistor at input for: What?

500r used on jfet ?

or 40/100r see on the web???!!!

Last edited: