Simplistic NJFET RIAA

Dear Ricardo I know well how stepup work ,no need to teach me ,no need to know that there is a denon stepup on the market with wrong data sheet,you can use the 470r load if you want, Kevinr are happy with 6:1, I load the dl160 (your) at 23k, I prefered higth load go figure,we know load is system taste dipendent .

this is not what I asked !!

the point his

why half web load the dl103 with real 40 to 100ohm ? (please search well ,AA)

I thinks this a serious question ,is not possible this load with active ,the sound will be orrible.

now at the same load as R of cartidge the output is cut in half this can explain the no gain problem , but no the sound !

Nick you have the jfet and itch with sut..... your suggestion ?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
the point his

why half web load the dl103 with real 40 to 100ohm ? (please search well ,AA)

I thinks this a serious question ,is not possible this load with active ,the sound will be orrible.

now at the same load as R of cartidge the output is cut in half this can explain the no gain problem , but no the sound !

Nick you have the jfet and itch with sut..... your suggestion ?

I know most of the time DL103 users load the cart with lower values than 470r.
Most budget phono preamps have one fixed load of 100r value for all MC.
Even in Vinyl Engine it is suggested load to be >100 http://www.vinylengine.com/cartridg...chi=&stid=&masslo=&masshi=&notes=&prlo=&prhi=

Of course we can do better so I experimented with 100r and even less and did not like it. Lacks bass, sounds thin and has very low output.

I experimented with 1:33 SUT with 47000r on the secondary, resulting in 43r effective load. In this case I did not loose gain because the SUT amplifies 0.3mV to 5.1mV but sound was thin and lost detail.

With 1:10 SUT, with 47000r on the secondary I got the best results.

Last edited:
Hi everybody,

after very good results with my njfet-RIAA Salas "designed" for my Lyra Dorian
(by the way, i like it with AT33ptg as well) i really want to build another njfet.
This time it should be an very flexible Version for MM/MI-Systems.
So i need a switch for input-capacitiy and a switch for input-impedance (1k/15K/
47K/100K).
As there are a lot of versions for MM...which is the best one or are they all
the same, just for different idss?
By the way, i have a lot of 170 with a wide bandwidth of idss.

Greetings Ulf

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi everybody,

after very good results with my njfet-RIAA Salas "designed" for my Lyra Dorian
(by the way, i like it with AT33ptg as well) i really want to build another njfet.
This time it should be an very flexible Version for MM/MI-Systems.
So i need a switch for input-capacitiy and a switch for input-impedance (1k/15K/
47K/100K).
As there are a lot of versions for MM...which is the best one or are they all
the same, just for different idss?
By the way, i have a lot of 170 with a wide bandwidth of idss.

Greetings Ulf

If you have 8-8.5mA make the pdf MM circuit. If you have more around 7mA make with the bksabath's values.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member

That's what we used on the Itch. 1:10 on 47K.

We used Lundahl and Dynavector in two builds. If you look back they are discussed at the presentations of the two builds. First (wooden box) and second revised black metallic box in first pages. Was not for DL103R was for other, 0.5mV carts.

If you have 8-8.5mA make the pdf MM circuit. If you have more around 7mA make with the bksabath's values.

I have not made much progres
Life sems to be trowing same big spanners in the works latley.

I have started the design of the new PCB with the uge Mundorf capacitors.

I have aded a 12 way dip switch for cartridge loading and I am going to use
5 resistors and 6 capacitors for cartridge loading.

I am planning on switchable values from say 40 Homs up to 1K and capacitance from 10 to 200 Pf. (the capacitance bit is easy as values sums by parralel connection).

Is all in my brain at the moment so ne real values so far.

The big question is how much it will impact on the 0.2 mv signal from the cartridge as more tracks more PCB area exposed and so on.
Idealy once found the best values by listening
I am planing on the first switch to thake the rest out of thecircuit and provide board space for components to be soldered on permanentley.

Another alternative is to solder the components inside the phono plugs.

To be continued...