Simplistic NJFET RIAA

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Salas

From that chart we might deduce a higher Idss jfet has higher transcondutance.

A higher transcondutance means more Volt/current amplification potential right ?

If so, why not use only high Idss jfets instead of the average 8.5mA you calculated ?

Because those were plenty statistically back when designed (asked some of you to check your BL stashes and you gave mean value graphs, remember?), and good for the gain/THD goals. As you can also see, the Yfs rise gets slower with ID rise. ID is not IDSS since we have Rs local feedback resistors designed in. But dissipation and its extra noises stay in check with BL. So Yfs/ID is much closer to higher samples when in circuit than you may initially think, bcs Rs brings it way down from IDSS. We have implemented K170V also in some cases that they were on hand, like Franz's one if you also remember.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
If I was you I will try, because depending the recording & your system including acoustic treatment can vary. I will start trying to lower 01.gr each step/time, every time/step you reduce weight you can hear more highs & less lows so it's a question of your personal taste & If you don't want to modifie the VTFwith each record you have to chose a compromise that more or less all your records sounds well. I really surprised lowering the tracking force because I had 2.5gr as you, first setp I hear more mids I next step hear more highs, finally I stopped when hear highs clear without losing mids & lows if your cart it has excesively weight you lose focus: bass difused, mids & highs lost.

Last edited:
Joined 2009
Paid Member
I will try, but we have different tonearms also etc. etc. It will show in practice. I will check out an AC mains IEC filter also.

I'm interested wich AC main filter you will use, speaking about other way to improve the RIAA lately I have implemented "active shielding" in the RCA cables between the NJFET RIAA & the preamp with good success

Cinch.gif

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have tried 2.15gr & sounds good but It's possible that this lower VTF can be a signal that 15nF RIAA it's not well adjusted?

For your info, IEC filter in my single box LMC 61dB, positive for smoother but even more distinct highs, less ''surface'' noise. 2.5g best at 220R PRP load. Mission 774 arm, VTA (rake angle) very slightly nose down. My Riaa curve textbook flat. Compatible to most of my records, no surprises.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
For your info, IEC filter in my single box LMC 61dB, positive for smoother but even more distinct highs, less ''surface'' noise. 2.5g best at 220R PRP load. Mission 774 arm, VTA (rake angle) very slightly nose down. My Riaa curve textbook flat. Compatible to most of my records, no surprises.

I have 220R Shinkoh load so I must adjust 15nF RIAA, thanks Nick your information has been very useful for me.:)

What's LMC 61 dB?

Last edited: