zen v1 build problems????

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
ok i got rid of the heatsink being live. there was a micro piece of metal under one of the mosfets. probly punctured the mica insulator. so one more bug worked out. still the amp isnt working. mr. pass could you please elaborate on what you want to know about Q1 and Q2.

ill be honest, im starting to wonder why i chose this project! something that looked so simple is turning out to be nothing of the sort. ill admit i had the transistors backwards in the beginning, i guess i trusted the silkscreen far to much. if i dont hear some very good news on why this thing isnt working very soon im probly going to ditch the idea and move on to another project. you all have no idea how much i want this amp to work but im starting to get really pissed with the whole thing now. sorry for the vent but im losing it here

If you have a diode tester on your meter, take out the zeners and check the forward voltage. If you can measure 0.5-0.7V when the black lead is on marked side of the zener (with a bar) then the diodes probably good. The bar should go to the gate of Q1.

You will kick youself when you finally find out what is wrong with this and then you'll have many years of pleasure from a great amp. Don't give up now - you're so close.

It's always like this - we call it fun:D

P.S. while the zeners are out, measure the resistance from gate Q1 to ground. If you can't see P1 varying from 0 to 10Kohms then that would indicate a bad FET

You need to find out where all the current through R8 is going. There's only 4 places it can go through R5, through P1, through Z1 or throughQ1-gate. It's supposed to go through P1.

I'd get a good magnifying glass out and have a good hard look at those components checking for shorts and wrong values.

Double check them with an ohm meter. There's a short somewhere.

if it was a short wouldnt something be totally fried? my power supply is rated ar 5.5amps per secondary and after the bridge and caps im getting 45 volts. i was wondering this earlier tonight too. if there was a short you would think the traces in the board or something would have died a horrible death.
please correct me if im wrong

This thread is why I love the diyAudio website so much. Immediate feedback from so many members who are willing to help, and teach anybody. I really hope you get this sorted out!

I wish I had a lifetime to learn all the information thats been donated by so many talented and helpful members!

Good Luck!

Steve

I sent you some extra power resistors like we talked about.

thanks for all your help. being a hardcore sound quality freak and my love for learning electronics is the real basics to why i chose this project. it was very fun up till now. im an automotive technician so trouble shooting is what i do best but on things im well educated in, lol. i hope i do get this thing working so i can walk away from this having learned so much and hopefully helped someone else now or in the future with this thread.

fligti91 said:
im an automotive technician so trouble shooting is what i do best but on things im well educated in, lol.

there's huge difference between mechanics and electronics troubleshooting/repair: in mechanics, you need seconds, if not minutes to diagnose the problem. repair can require hours of labor (clutch repair comes to mind). in electronics it goes the other way round.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.