Your next extended range driver? Scan Speak Discovery 10F/4424G00

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tell that to Hammer -they brought the late Sir Christopher Lee (probably the greatest under-rated actor in history) back a few times. ;) I always thought it was sad that he never really got the opportunity to play Stoker's character, since nobody has made a proper 'straight' film version of Dracula, Nosferatu arguably excepted. OK, given how ponderous the latter half of the book is (talk about padding... M.R. James was right about it suffering from excess -on several levels) that's not necessarily a bad thing. But the first half drips atmosphere. Same problem with The Hound of the Baskervilles. Even the Jeremy Brett version had some issues on that front, although I digress.

Before all that twaddle kicks off again (let joy be unconfined), I should make one thing clear: I like that Scan unit well enough. It's an excellent small midrange driver; I've used it before in that role, and I may do so again if necessity calls. As an FR wideband unit in the more usual sense? Not as much. If other people do, fair play to them.

Grrr - my hot button has been pushed and now I'm off on a rant!

Pardon me, but was I induced into years of hibernation and find myself seemingly suddenly in the future where we no longer use electromagnetic coils attached to cones to produce sound? Because otherwise, I don't think my post was inappropriate in the least.

Ye gods, another vampire :vampire: thread -revived from the dead, last seen August 2010... ;)
I completely disagree with your apparent opinion regarding the usefulness and relevance of information which is more than a few days old. In fact, sometimes I even go to the library - one wonders, do you think they should throw out everything in their collection on it's 5th year since first publication?!?

I am also interested in the ScanSpeak Discovery 15M - should we all simply make new threads from now on and forget we even have a search function?!?

I appreciate the information that XRK971 has added to the thread since my post the other day. I look forward to continuing discussion, and, I am further inspired to think that this driver I have on my shelf, is actually worth taking the time to build into a speaker.

Last edited:
well this thread went dead in the first place only because people with commercial interests ganged up on it right after the original post since it happened to say something positive about a competitive driver.

never understood why the forum tolerates this where any thread here is meant to be by DIYers for DIYers.

and all this going back and forth on the measurement practices trying to undermine data for the SS 10F driver(s) was really a turn off for me. If it wasn't, I would have used the referenced professional equipment in a hemi-anechoic chamber I have at work (yes, one of those dressed up with 2 foot cones all over the walls and the ceiling) to get "the real measurement", but I am pretty sure that would have been a waste of my time.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
well this thread went dead in the first place only because people with commercial interests ganged up on it right after the original post since it happened to say something positive about a competitive driver.

never understood why the forum tolerates this where any thread here is meant to be by DIYers for DIYers.

and all this going back and forth on the measurement practices trying to undermine data for the SS 10F driver(s) was really a turn off for me. If it wasn't, I would have used the referenced professional equipment in a hemi-anechoic chamber I have at work (yes, one of those dressed up with 2 foot cones all over the walls and the ceiling) to get "the real measurement", but I am pretty sure that would have been a waste of my time.

A similar thing happened in this thread where a driver I measured had such a an odd (non-flat) frequency response that the immediate response from the manufacturer of the driver, was that because my equipment was too cheap (not a Earthworks M50 running on LMS) and I did not have an anechoic chamber were the reasons why my measurements did not match the factory response curve. Deja vu all over again. Turns out, several others got similar measurements. In any case, what was an interesting thread had to get shut down permanently because of too much discord. Oh well...

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...parison-3in-4in-class-full-range-drivers.html

appreciate the information that XRK971 has added to the thread since my post the other day. I look forward to continuing discussion, and, I am further inspired to think that this driver I have on my shelf, is actually worth taking the time to build into a speaker.

You are welcome. I look forward to hearing more about the 10F/4424.

Last edited:

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member

+1

Pardon me, but was I induced into years of hibernation and find myself seemingly suddenly in the future where we no longer use electromagnetic coils attached to cones to produce sound? Because otherwise, I don't think my post was inappropriate in the least.

Around where I live, it's called 'humour'. You may be aware of the term. There was even a little vampire :vampire: added to demonstrate that it was a joke. If you want to work yourself up into a lather about my Anglo-Saxon sense of humour though, please do not in any way feel constrained.

I completely disagree with your apparent opinion regarding the usefulness and relevance of information which is more than a few days old. In fact, sometimes I even go to the library - one wonders, do you think they should throw out everything in their collection on it's 5th year since first publication?!?

Since I'm a professional historian, I'll leave you to decide what my opinion is regarding information 'which is more than a few days old'.

I am further inspired to think that this driver I have on my shelf, is actually worth taking the time to build into a speaker.

Of course it is. It's one of the finest MC midrange drivers on the market. I know: I've used it. Personally, out of the popular mids, I prefer the larger Seas MCA12RC, mainly since I gravitate toward higher system sensitivities and in practice the larger Seas has an edge in that respect, with the usual balances of trade-offs in that, motor design etc. But the little Scan is very nice.

Last edited:
thanks 5th E,

I surmised Something like this !

@ BYRTT, yes you are true, but for me they are close enough to ask the question. Btw still have my 10F /84 :) ! Have to do Something with it if my skill is not good enough to make a foam/wood horn ! Still think the horn loading is a good idea, one have to find the best aperture for his own listening room.

Why Mr T. Gravsen uses it with a XO so low as 3K ??? (on a bafle)... To have to use a tweeter ? But why does not it XOed it higher as 8K or 10K ???? The need of a 90° off axis alignement between the two drivers for better soundstage ?!

What 5th said. Also, you'd be pushing it to cross a great deal higher if you want to reduce the potential for some response anomalies through excessive spacing between the units. Whether those would be audible is another matter -YMMV on that one; it'll depend on the design details.

Attachments

• miniposaune2web.jpg
    miniposaune2web.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 307
What 5th said. Also, you'd be pushing it to cross a great deal higher if you want to reduce the potential for some response anomalies through excessive spacing between the units. Whether those would be audible is another matter -YMMV on that one; it'll depend on the design details.

C. to c. I had the idea on a K-tube for treble near the 10F in the Trynergy horn (through one of the wall horn to be exact) from xrk971's design... but don't succeed to make the horn for the moment :( . It seems the horn can live with the 10F without treble unit in the highs !

Looking at the distors measurement of Zaph on a close 10F unit, it surprised me T. Gravsen didn't want to push it a little higher, e.g. 5K, where the c to c is not too much a problem yet (but with the big face plate of some tweeter---at least not all the treble made by ScanSpeak !). So I surmised as confirmed above it was to match the off axis of its mate upper driver !

As i find also the BBC curve to be better at home, I have no problem with a design where the 20K or less are at 6 to 10 dB lower from the 1 to 2 K Hz ! So a lively little speaker at the 10F in a horn, à la xrk971, à la Zingali or whatever you prefer as far the cone mvt are low because the higher efficienty is a good bet imho !

Right -some of the small Illuminator range are good for that (although centre-to-centre isn't cast in stone -depends on the driver; some still produce a proportion of HF energy further out toward the periphery of the cone). YMMV as always.

Re the BBC curve, similar here, albeit depending on what drivers I'm using. As for efficiency -yep. Higher the better, all other things being equal.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.