XMOS DSD 384 kHz / 32bit USB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Another document evaluation board for ak4490 page 13 shows how capacitance influenced on thd.
Supply is ok but for finese give max 100nf MKP across C3.
AD797 is not optimal for that schematic ...(AD797 BR is brighter than AN) and resistor values are to high for optimum preformance.
Lme49990 is not so bright more relaxed and deep bass...maybe a little to soft.Highs have very good microdynamic. If the sound is to harsh then try some other supply.
Not tested ADA4898 by myself but said to be very good.

Attachments

• ak4490 vref.jpg
    ak4490 vref.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 798
Vulejov... then put your values for that filter that you gave me in that filter calculator and describe what you get...you need to put just half period values no need to full balanced...
Multiple Feedback Low-pass Filter Design Tool

so R1 is 5110R
R2 is 2740R
R3 is 6190R
C1 is 680p
C2 is 150p
An then check original sheme values wich are
R1 1500R
R2 390R
R3 1500R
C1 2200p
C2 1000p

And now change 150p in your filter to 330p ....

You can not use this calculator, it is note same circuit as balanced to SE output or AK..
You do not understand how C2 capacitor influence opamp speed, you do not understand how value of R1 affects AK4490 analog output..
Here are all three filters.. 330p is the worst..

Attachments

• JLSound analog output.jpg
    JLSound analog output.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 720
  • AK4490 datasheet output.jpg
    AK4490 datasheet output.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 701
  • 330p.jpg
    330p.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 686
I'm wondering to upgrade the 4396 DAC board to the latest 4490. Is is the worth, soundwisely? I'm using a double LT3080 based PSU.
I'm sure I'll have to upgrade the firmware, so I'm not so sure this will up an easy affair me. Anyway, the display is so fancy!
I'm planning to add the filter board (or it isn't optional?). Do you think it will work with HDAMs?

Thanks all!

I'm wondering to upgrade the 4396 DAC board to the latest 4490. Is is the worth, soundwisely? I'm using a double LT3080 based PSU.
I'm sure I'll have to upgrade the firmware, so I'm not so sure this will up an easy affair me. Anyway, the display is so fancy!
I'm planning to add the filter board (or it isn't optional?). Do you think it will work with HDAMs?

Thanks all!

I can not hear any significant difference, but I did not expected it..
Previous DAC is Joro's AK4396 with LT1818 instead of LME49710 and 10uF MKP instead of 22uF output capacitor..
New one is 3dB louder, for someone that could be important.. it is also easier to switch opamps.. AK4490 have more digital filters, three new one are better compared with old sharp and slow..

I'm having trouble with DSD128 playback from my Mac using J river. It plays music but the relays keep clicking until I stop the music or switch to PCM. Any ideas?
DSD128 works perfectly, I tried on MacMini with Audionirvana, Daphile, Win7 and foobar..
Which PSU you are using, if you powered DAC from USB that may be problem..
Check DSD filter and mode settings..DSD128 works without problems on both filters and modes, with external 4V and 5V PSU for XMOS board..

So much for being totally isolated, the computer was putting so much noise on the cable that it was causing the DSD problem. I patched the issue by putting a 300r resistor in series with the black ground wire and cut the sheild and power connection at the USBtoI2S end. Now the relays click when the music is paused. The computer won't recognize the dac without a ground. I think it's time for a LR filter on that stinky black wire.

I'm using two Salas Reflektors for supply.

I managed to remove the +/- from the USB cable to further reduce ground loop noise from the Computer, altho a ground jumper is still needed to the USBtoI2S for the initial handshake but offers no improvement when removed afterwards. I connected it to analog star ground and will finesse it later. The Reflectors are at a steady 4.1vdc and 5.1vdc during the relays switching on/off. This only happens during Jriver DSD up-sampling when paused, and maybe once or twice during 15 minutes of playback.

What triggers the relay circuit?

What other software should I try for DSD up-sampling on a MAC?

Thanks for your help and advice. :)

I don't upsample music files, just play them as it is..
I don't had any problem with DSD playback with Audionirvana, try it twice on two different computers, works DoP and native DSD.. but only with DSD files..
I dont' think it is good to connect digital and analog ground.. I think that upsampling makes problems, try to play DSD files with normal conections..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.