XMOS DSD 384 kHz / 32bit USB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Sorry for my late answer, lately the time is not enough :)

..what happens with old XMOS_AK4396 combo, is there support for native DSD..
If the firmware version of the XMOS board is greater than 3.06 - yes.

@joro_s is there any possibility to control DAC chip directly thru i2c using an external controller?...
For now there is not such an option.

... Can I just drop the 4490DAC in instead of my 5102? Do I need additional power supplies?..
Yes, you can switch just the DACs, no problem at all. Depending from your version of XMOS firmware, there might be some clicks. The necessary power supply for the AK4490 is one 5V, my recommendation is one to use clean external power supply.

I just figured the €16 LCdisplay board is required to do the settings (filters + volume)...
That’s correct. Soon Lyuben will post scheme of the board. Without this board the DAC will work only with service settings.

And there are more options (DRV603 and the LME49710 filter board)
The AK4490 DAC has differential outputs and LME49710 board and DRV603 board make the differential outputs to single ended and of course the reconstruct filters. On the AK4396 board the Opamps and the reconstruct filter were on the same board, but there ware plenty of diyers who remove the OpAmps and use directly the outputs of the DAC, that's why I decided the filters to be on separate boards. DRV603 is lower class than the LME49710, but it manages good with 5V PSU (it's the maximum :) ) and there is 2V RMS on the output and its' mute is good enough. The LME49710 board works form +-12V to +-15V.

Id like to use a few reflektor shunt supplies. What are the power requirements of the USB and AK4490?
The USB part is little hungry 330mA, I recommend 4V – 4.3V in order the board to be cooler, as for the DAC and oscillators 5.1V 120mA.

I can't wait for Hummingbird dual ak4495 DAC... any out date prediction?
Later today I’ll open a new thread about the Hummingbird dual ak4495 DAC with all detailed information.

What will be the SQ/performance differences between Hummingbird and single 4490 DAC board? ...
It's not right I to make the comparison, I can only tell that the dual mono has its' advantages :)

Does the latter have balanced output? ..
On the AK4490 board the outputs are directly from the modulators from the DAC chip and they are balanced.
Regarding for AK4495 I'll open a new thread.

Could the output stages of both DACs be replaced by a se/balanced tube buffer/line stage amplifier?...
On the AK4490 board - right now, without interventions on the board :)

Hay guys, do you also have problems to conntact with Joro?...
Sorry about that, you can always contact by mail, where Lyuben is faster than me :)

... AK4495 seems better, have more ...or section and post the links. Regards, Joro

Hi,

If I correctly understand , the clock (XMOS board) doesn't have a individual regulator, and it requires the maximum clean power? Or MC7805, LM317 will be rather?

On the XMOS board there are three 3.3V LDO LP5900, one 1.8V LDO MCP1700T-1802E/TT and one 1V LDO MCP1825T distributed as follow: one LP5900, one 1.8V MCP1700T and one 1V MCP1825T are before the galvanic isolator (i.e. USB part) and two LP5900 are on the clean side for reclock and the oscillators.

The LP5900 doesn’t like voltage above 5.5V and that’s why one needs to use pre-regulator on 5V. Between those two, the LM317 in mode with capacitor between adj and gnd pins is far better.

Regards,
Joro

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.