XMOS DSD 384 kHz / 32bit USB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
About prices..

XMOS_AK4490_LME49710 combo is 150 euro's.. but you need PSU for digital and analog part and control board.. so I think about 250 euro total acount..

Dual mono AK4495 was announced with 500-600 euro price.. but with PSU on board, more digital inputs, XLR (balanced) analog outputs..

About prices..

XMOS_AK4490_LME49710 combo is 150 euro's.. but you need PSU for digital and analog part and control board.. so I think about 250 euro total acount..

Dual mono AK4495 was announced with 500-600 euro price.. but with PSU on board, more digital inputs, XLR (balanced) analog outputs..

Thank you. But what about output stages? Are they the same? Could they be replaced?
After my stunning experience with tubes based Broskie's Unbalancer i can't even listen to ss or (blame!) opamps stages...
Will both DACs have balanced output? Is Hummingbird's output already balanced before output stage?

Last edited:
After my stunning experience with tubes based Broskie's Unbalancer i can't even listen to ss or (blame!) opamps stages...

I can't even begin to describe how happy I am with my completely tube-based DAC! It sounds soooooo much better now that there are no solid state components involved at all.

As an extra bonus, it really warms up both my house and my swimming pool in the winter - the only downside is that it takes up all of my garage and needs it's own power substation...

I can't even begin to describe how happy I am with my completely tube-based DAC! It sounds soooooo much better now that there are no solid state components involved at all.

As an extra bonus, it really warms up both my house and my swimming pool in the winter - the only downside is that it takes up all of my garage and needs it's own power substation...

Blessed are you! ;)
Unfortunately my Broskie Unbalancer is just 6"x6" and it is able to heat only the upper floor in the wooden cabinet outside - and not so much. Too bad the room it is in is still so cold! And it draws so much less power than my ss class-T power amplifier, too!
What mistake did i make?
Maybe i was born in the wrong era, when tubes buffers/preamplifiers are no more charcoal stoves? Surely Mr. Broskie's genius is to blame...

Maybe i was born in the wrong era, when tubes buffers/preamplifiers are no more charcoal stoves? Surely Mr. Broskie's genius is to blame...

Here is the DSP part:

ColossusRebuild_12.jpg

Thank you. But what about output stages? Are they the same? Could they be replaced?
Will both DACs have balanced output? Is Hummingbird's output already balanced before output stage?

Anyway, is someone able to answer to my previous questions about output stages?

Look carefully pictures of AK4490 and AK4495 boards and you have answer..

By the way, every modern DA converter have balanced output..

Thank you, but... where can i find detailed pictures of both DACs? I only can find one pic of 4490 DAC on Jlsounds site, only one side. I can't understand in that photograph if DAC outputs are prepared for an output stage relacement or if i should bypass any opamp... I know 4490 chip has differential outputs, but i would like to avoid taking output from board traces...
More, will output stage on Hummingbird be the same?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.