XMOS DSD 384 kHz / 32bit USB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Joro,

Over the course of my power supply experimentation, I may have applied too much heat on the board, though I'm not sure.

When using a cheap DMM to check for continuity, there is no beep when testing the GND and + points for the XMOS supply (AK4396 board, 5V 400ma). So far so good.

However, when I use my benchtop DMM (Fluke 45), with the black lead on + and the red lead on GND, I get a reading of 35k ohms, instead of 0L which indicates a resistance too high to display. Is this ok?

Hi,

...When using a cheap DMM to check for continuity, there is no beep when testing the GND and + points for the XMOS supply (AK4396 board, 5V 400ma). So far so good.

However, when I use my benchtop DMM (Fluke 45), with the black lead on + and the red lead on GND, I get a reading of 35k ohms, instead of 0L which indicates a resistance too high to display. Is this ok?

Sorry, but I'm not sure I understand the question, because my English is not quite good (that's why I waited with my response, hoping someone could help).

If you mean, why doesn't the zoomer of DMM beeps -the different devices has different thresholds. For some of them it is 20 ohms, the aim is to use as the circuit checker.

I'm not sure what is the purpose of these measurements that you are doing :) It would be easier for me to help you if you tell me what do you want to achieve. If you want we could do it on private.

Regards,
Joro

Last edited:
Hi Joro,

Apologies for not making myself clear.

Basically, I'm concerned that I may have applied too much heat to the board at the power supply points. I'm trying to determine if everything is still normal, though I have to admit I'm not sure I'm going at it the right way.

Maybe instead you can tell me what I can do to check if board is still ok?

Hi Joro,

Apologies for not making myself clear.

Basically, I'm concerned that I may have applied too much heat to the board at the power supply points. I'm trying to determine if everything is still normal, though I have to admit I'm not sure I'm going at it the right way.

Maybe instead you can tell me what I can do to check if board is still ok?

If the board still works and all of the functions are available - than there is no place for worries. If you have some doubts, could you please send me your e-mail, so Lyuben can send you some additional info.

Regards,
Joro

Hi,

All functions are available, but what I'm worried about is subjective sound quality. I'll be sending you my email via PM.

Now, the picture is a little clearer. During overheating most affected elements are capacitors, but maybe some semiconductor had changed his structure.
As far as this is single case and it's a result from of external factors, we can continue by e-mail (it will be faster and we won't load the thread).

Regards,
Joro

Hi there.

Some of you might use Raspberry Pi, Beaglebone Black or e.g. Cubietruck ( that's my preference btw.) as transport for Joro's USB/DAC interfaces.
All of them will run a Linux OS.

All these embedded boards have in common that they can also output I2S.

The (potentially) huge advantage I see by using the I2S would be to eliminate the USB interface altogether. (There are several projects ongoing in this area
and there are also products (e.g. google HifiBerry) available)

From the software side it's basically just a matter of loading kernel modules -- if these are available.

You'll find a new ALSA (Linux Sound System) I2S audio device, once you've got these modules loaded.

These modules are available on certain distros/kernel for above transports! (I had them loaded on RPI and Cubietruck)

Basically you can hook up a DAC with I2S input to your transport.

Now. The issues/challenges.

Nobody can seriously expect a quality low jitter I2S signal from one of these boards (RPI/BBB/CT).

It basically needs an asynchronous I2S reclocker to lower the jitter and optional an isolator to get the noise down.

I'm wondering if Joro's boards would allow for any of below scenarios by tapping of the I2S leads at a certain point!?!?

Sceanrio1: I2S -> DAC
Scenario2: I2S -> reclocker -> DAC
Scenario3: I2S -> isolator -> reclocker -> DAC

Obviously Joro's XMOS firmware applies a certain logic when selecting different clocks or clock rates for different samplerates.
Scenario2 and 3 won't probably work for all samplerates, if these would work at all.

One more comment: Asynchronous reclocking might still be the 2nd best solution though. The best solution would be to slave the transports to a high quality clock master that sits on the DAC board. But this would also require a more complex I2S driver on the transport side. This scenario will be getting more complex on both sides.

Cheers

Last edited:
Considering using the I2SunderUSB for a TPA Buffalo III-SE build. According to the manual, I need to a 4.7k ohm resistor between PIN 1 & 3 to properly configure it for use with the ESS chip. Is that correct?

If I purchase the I2SunderUSB, can you include the 4.7k ohm resistor?

If the used DAC is less than 32-bit, you are right. But if the used DAC is 32-bit, the compatibility would be full and if the output of the source is 32-bit.

DACs may accept 32-bit words, but the extra bits are not actually used internally. No converter has anywhere close to 192 dB dynamic range.

Another question is how many bits really can to be heard :)

140 dB, or ~23.3 bits.

Joel: But converter using 32 bits filters and digital signal processing inside...so it can by usefull.

joro:
I have question about AK4396 DAC, if I may...
I build my own 384 KHz, DSD128 interface and i want to connect this module on it. How do I make a DAC to work with DSD128 and 384khz? DAC identifies it itself? Thank you.

I have received the boards. It was a super fast shipment. Thank you!
First impressions are very positive though i used SPDIF and ordinary psu on 7805 and chip dvd player.
I guess with proper psu, i2s and external clock it will leave very very little if anything at all to be desired as the transport. I smile when i think of 7k esoteric or dsc cd player.
I used it with MacPro and Macbook pro without problems.
(i added amanero board for comparison)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I think power supply is the most critical part.
Can someone share the experience with different psu boards in connection to I2SoverUSB?

MisterRogers i have seen on the thread that you used different boards like salas and sjostrom super regulator. I will be very grateful if you can share your thoughts, suggestions and experience.
(thanks for your tips)

The picture
IMG_2382 (2).jpg

Hello Joro, it looks like you have a really nice solution here. A couple of questions if I may;

At least initially, I'm looking to connect to a Sabre ES9023 DAC (The Curryman DAC) in a headphone amp so being able to use my Android smartphone would be very welcome. I assume no problem connecting to such a DAC?

I have limited space inside the chassis I'll be using and wonder if it is possible to use a single 5V supply for the two parts of the board and, if so, is there a price to pay in terms of performance?

Thanks

Ray

Hi,

I'll make you a deal - I'll share all I've learned about powering these boards if you provide detailed information about that little JLSounds clock board in your photo :)

Maybe it will be better if I join the deal :) about the oscillators daughter board.

This board was designed about two months ago, and till now many listening test were done (and the tests are continuing) with different people. The board was performed at the annual expo of the bgaudioclub.

Generally the board was designed as a daughter board, so one can use precise oscillators. The oscillators may be powered by TPS7A4700 or ADM7150. I prefer the ADM7150, because it has lower noise. One can use CCHD-957, NDK NZ2520SD, DIP14 and DIP8. There will be listening to a SI504, but I have to finish the firmware for the initialization of SI504 :)

... I'm looking to connect to a Sabre ES9023 DAC (The Curryman DAC) in a headphone amp so being able to use my Android smartphone would be very welcome. I assume no problem connecting to such a DAC?...

You have to use USB Audio Player PRO and an external power supply for the whole board is a must.

No problem at all :) to connect the XMOS board to ES9023.

... I have limited space inside the chassis I'll be using and wonder if it is possible to use a single 5V supply for the two parts of the board and, if so, is there a price to pay in terms of performance?...

Connecting the 2 GNDs lower the quality, because we lose the galvanic isolation. I recommend to use one external power supply for the oscillators and reclock, and when you use your phone, you can make a custom USB cable on which you are going to have 5V.

Regards,
Joro

Attachments

• osc_board1.jpg
    osc_board1.jpg
    441.3 KB · Views: 296
  • osc_board2.jpg
    osc_board2.jpg
    402.4 KB · Views: 338
Connecting the 2 GNDs lower the quality, because we lose the galvanic isolation. I recommend to use one external power supply for the oscillators and reclock, and when you use your phone, you can make a custom USB cable on which you are going to have 5V.

Regards,
Joro

Thanks Joro, I thought that would be the case so I'll somehow squeeze in the extra power supply; don't want the inconvenience of anything other than a USB to Go cable for connecting the phone.

Ray

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.