XMOS DSD 384 kHz / 32bit USB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Could you specify more about those plops.
What is your OS, when they appear (in what circumstances)?

Regards,
Joro

I'm on Win8 x64, they happen on bitrate changes. Anyway I couldn't try with powering solutions (USB or PSU) other than the 5V "power bank". I installed the new driver, but I got lost on Spotify ( :spin: ) and it was too late to test properly. I'll do tonite and report back.

Joro.

Thx for the 5V hint. Wasn't that difficult. ;)

I'll try that. I guess both jumpers need to be removed.

What functions will be missing if using that 5V access point instead of the 7,5V?

I was thinking that even with the 5V accesspoint there'll be a two-stage (5 and 3.3V)
regulation.

If people have to take care on clean 5V, it wouldn't be a big deal going straight to
3.3V and by that getting rid of the two-stage regulation!?!? Perhaps external 3.3V
can be injected after the 3.3V regulator. Though I'm not sure what happens with the reclocker on the lower board.

Cheers

PS: There are better caps the Pana FC for the DAC. ;)

Hi,

...Anyway I couldn't try with powering solutions (USB or PSU) other than the 5V "power bank"...

The reason is not in the driver, nor the PSU. In order to configure both PCM and DSD, we have to use external microcontroller and in this mode pin8 (mute on AK4396 DAC) is used as chipselect pin. In this case one have to use external mute (you can check page 31 of AK4396 datasheet , please note that in software mode the mute is external). This is pin 2 on the AK4396 board. One can use reed relay or other relay with switch time less than 2ms.

As discussed, the present issue concerns playlist of mixed fs, which is rare, and I didn't want to enlarge the board with an external mute :blush:.

Regards,
Joro

Hi everyone! I have been using the USB to I2S board together with the AK4396 board and the simple power supplies for about two months now.

I am very happy with the result music is very natural sounding.

I have had no problems whatsoever and connectivity was trouble free with the older driver and also no problem with the new driver.

I use foobar and have all kinds of music files including DSD.

All play without any problem and i am enjoying my music.

Slight criticism is a little bit lack of dynamics compared to my other dacs, but i have Salas shunts and larger trafos on them than what i use here.

I will build two Salas shunts and will report back.

Thank you joro_s for a very nice project!!

Hi,

I guess both jumpers need to be removed.

What functions will be missing if using that 5V access point instead of the 7,5V?

I was thinking that even with the 5V accesspoint there'll be a two-stage (5 and 3.3V) regulation...

Yes, you are right. Both jumpers have to be removed.

No missing functions, if using 5V PSU instead of 7.5V (according to the picture in post #238).

If we use 3.3V, the two LP5900 on the XMOS board (for reclock and oscillators) will go out of operation point.

Regards,
Joro

Hi,

Yes, you are right. Both jumpers have to be removed.

No missing functions, if using 5V PSU instead of 7.5V (according to the picture in post #238).

If we use 3.3V, the two LP5900 on the XMOS board (for reclock and oscillators) will go out of operation point.

Regards,
Joro

OK. I see. It would require three external 3.3V sources instead of one 5V, if one wanted to get rid of that two-stage regulation.

THX

Hi,

The reason is not in the driver, nor the PSU. In order to configure both PCM and DSD, we have to use external microcontroller and in this mode pin8 (mute on AK4396 DAC) is used as chipselect pin. In this case one have to use external mute (you can check page 31 of AK4396 datasheet , please note that in software mode the mute is external). This is pin 2 on the AK4396 board. One can use reed relay or other relay with switch time less than 2ms.

As discussed, the present issue concerns playlist of mixed fs, which is rare, and I didn't want to enlarge the board with an external mute :blush:.

Regards,
Joro

Don't worry Joro, it's just chit-chat. I'm really enjoying this combo.
Thanks again!

Marco

OK. I see. It would require three external 3.3V sources instead of one 5V, if one wanted to get rid of that two-stage regulation.
THX
Having a preregulator feeding the regulator for a clock oscillator might be useful.

I've got an audible improvement when installed a Belleson as a preregulator to the D-Clock Neutrino.

NewClassD DClock Neutrino

Question for Joro:

If I would like to install a separate preregulator only for the reclock and oscillators what would be the necessary steps?

Hi Soundcheck! Do you still have your offer (50 % of), or did you change your mind so fast?

As a matter of fact I received some inquiries.

Bottom line. I decided to keep the board.

This way I'll have a device for benchmarking. The required powersupplies I have at hand anyhow. Beside that, as discussed just recently, I can use 5V instead of 7.5V. And that makes live much easier for me.

I also sent the M2Tech USB DAC back.

However. The M2Tech DAC should IMO be taken as a benchmark. Especially when considering its outstanding performance when buspowered. It's been
a very convenient and enjoyable device.

And. Even though I'm keeping the device, doesn't mean that the weaknesses I see with it are gone.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi,

Chris1967 thank you for your feedback.

...If I would like to install a separate preregulator only for the reclock and oscillators what would be the necessary steps?

Could you please clarify: you want to feed the oscillators and reclock with other 3.3V regulator (or with two regulators), or you want to separate the DACs' power supply form power supply for the oscillators and reclock?

Regards,
Joro

Could you please clarify: you want to feed the oscillators and reclock with other 3.3V regulator (or with two regulators), or you want to separate the DACs' power supply form power supply for the oscillators and reclock?

I would like to separate the DACs' power supply and introduce one preregulator for existing power supply related to the oscillators and reclock.

Hi,

I would like to separate the DACs' power supply and introduce one preregulator for existing power supply related to the oscillators and reclock.

Now I get it :)
I attached you a picture.

Regards,
Joro

Attachments

• AK4396_mod.jpg
    AK4396_mod.jpg
    433.3 KB · Views: 810
Power consumption

Hi Joro,

In order to properly implement the separate regulation for the oscillators and reclock what is your estimation of the total power consumption of these parts?

USB board draws about 335mA and AK4396 board up to 111 mA, right?

Thanks,
Baki

Last edited:
Hi,

...If supplied separately like this, how much would each (the DAC board / reclocker) need in terms of current?

The reclock and the oscillators consume around 60mA. The AK4396 DAC consumes around 60mA. It's good to have 10 to 20% reserve.

...USB board draws about 335mA and AK4396 board up to 111 mA, right?...

Yes, you are right. The USB part consumes around 335mA and the AK4396 DAC and the oscillators and the recolck on the XMOS board consume around 120mA.

Regards,
Joro

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.