XMOS-based Asynchronous USB to I2S interface

Hey there Merlin.

I don't have a great knowledge of electronics, so when I first wired up the isolated
outputs, I was a bit confused about how to wire the leads on it. You are probably better
at this than me, but just in case. You do have the + psu lead going to the V+ pin, and the
V- lead going to the pin directly opposite the +V pin on the isolated ground side don't you?

And then earth leads from the isolated ground side connected to the board you are also sending
the DT/LR/BC signals to. Mine is wired like this and it plays back DSD 256 very well.

Regards

Simon

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hey there Merlin.

I don't have a great knowledge of electronics, so when I first wired up the isolated
outputs, I was a bit confused about how to wire the leads on it. You are probably better
at this than me, but just in case. You do have the + psu lead going to the V+ pin, and the
V- lead going to the pin directly opposite the +V pin on the isolated ground side don't you?

And then earth leads from the isolated ground side connected to the board you are also sending
the DT/LR/BC signals to. Mine is wired like this and it plays back DSD 256 very well.

Regards

Simon

Hi Simon,

Yes I wired like attached picture, of course not the same PSU powering the WaveIO ext. USB

N.B. Bit Clock isn't necessary for SE low pass filter DSD no DAC

Thanks

Felipe

Attachments

• DSD PIN OUT + PSU.png
    DSD PIN OUT + PSU.png
    774.9 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
Today my external PSU LDO regulator failed in very ugly way and let around 10V to the output pin so waveio was exposed to it around 15 minutes.
Protection diode D2 burned but luckily waveio survived, after removing diode it was able to play music by using USB power.

Lorien, kudos for designing such a robustness!

@ ljufa: thank you for kind words! Just remember to replace the protection diode with the same type so it can be able to keep away your WaveIO from any troubles it might come form your external PSU.
As for DSD, I can confirm that WaveIO is playing DSD from here too. A friend of mine managed to ran few tests with positive results and now I'm waiting for lintweaker to do appropriate changes.
Kind regards,
L

QUESTION TO WAVE IO & RPI & Moode USERS

Hi all

I am a happy user of this trio, except I am getting annoying glitches every 5 to 20 seconds (USB, not tried IS2). I am currently using the new Moode 2.6 release, with 2B raspberry pi, data is on a Synology NAS through ethernet.

Has someone the same configuration working here ? If so, we can discuss in private not to polute the thread, the WaveIO board was working well with non RPI configuation so I dont think the problem lies there, but cant be sure.

Thank You very much !
Jean-Louis

Hi Lucian,

Here's what I found to be different with 3 firmware versions:

1. Factory default v3.31:
sounds very faithful to what I hear from the CD
doesn't support 384kHz

2. v3.33
sound the best to me, very open and specious

3. tes2 v6.C7
sounds more shut-in, compared to v3.33

It does take indeed only 30 seconds to switch between 2 different firmware versions, which is very user friendly.

I don't have a need for DSD

Regards,
Nick

PS
Since I'm playing with different firmware versions, can you please point me to the correct Thesycon Windows driver v3.34 ? Thanks!

I had the opportunity to have a good listen to Windows driver v3.34.0 -> the difference in sound is HUGE compared to v2.26.0.

I personally prefered the v2.26.0 over v3.34.0.

So, with Win 7 64bit and the JRiver 21.0.83, my prefered combination is:

firmware v3.33
driver v2.26.0

That being said, it is nice to have all these options, and somewhat scary at the same time because in my case, when I tune the sound to individual taste, all it takes is a change of a Windows driver... for an audio system to start sounding completely different.

Nick

I know I went "dark" for a couple of days regarding BluWave but I never forgot any of you! The values of some of the parts were changed to meet my (perfectionist) requirements while others have been improved with better alternatives carrying the same price - yes, this option still exist on this planet if you know where to look! :)
As for the list, this is the latest I have:
1 x carsten.witt
2 x Chii
1 x triode_al
1 x blueixus
1 x abanico
1 x kumori

Kind regards,
Lucian

Hi all

I am a happy user of this trio, except I am getting annoying glitches every 5 to 20 seconds (USB, not tried IS2). I am currently using the new Moode 2.6 release, with EDIT "B+" raspberry pi, data is on a Synology NAS through ethernet.

Has someone the same configuration working here ? If so, we can discuss in private not to polute the thread, the WaveIO board was working well with non RPI configuation so I dont think the problem lies there, but cant be sure.

Thank You very much !
Jean-Louis

Hi all

I have had strange behaviour with different players (moode, runeaudio, volumio) with WaveIO USB (which works) see post 3774, depending on whether I am using RPI and BBB http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pc-based/271811-moode-audio-player-raspberry-pi-126.html#post4767214. In the end, I have not succeeded to play with RPI B+ with many clicks and pops whatever the player is, while it is perfect on the BBB. Has someone got the same experience ?

Thanks to share.

BR
Jean-Louis

PSU for Isolated I2S side: please remember that you don't need a huge amount of power there (unless you have pans to share this PSU with other boards) so anything having 3.3Vdc or 5Vdc and up to 20 mAmps would be enough. I would look for 78xx replacement type of PSUs since are easier to place them closer to J6 pin-header connector (basically can be mounted on top of it).
For any other alternatives, the output wires from this PSU to J6 should be minimal since there's no proper decoupling network available on the power rail of that isolated side of WaveIO board.
Kind regards,
L