X2_ugs3,4

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
thomasfw said:

Do you mean it likes a "electronic instructment" in lab more than a HiFi Pre amp ?

Thomas

Hello Thomas,
I mean a good pre. I have an Aleph P1.7 clone to compare, the new sounds different to them. It sounds "straight forward", very good dynamics, deep bass and good top end. The middle are, so my first impression better on Aleph. I listended for first Jaques Loussier Trio , Oscar Peterson and as contrast Joss Stone .
For a really comparison I need a lot of time.
I listen further...

I used for my first listening with "fly" connections a Alps pot 100k and reduced the value of feedback resistor to 100k such in X2 for lower gain (more feedback) . So I can turn on the input pot a little more. One nice side effect: much wider freq. response >200kHz (I measured my second module before listening).
The test setup was DC coupled (only Cap at output CD player- T+A CD1000AC), single ended in- and output.

Best regards

Adam

It's not exactly the same thing , as this was thought for a XO design , with low gain figure , and no cascode , and bipolars .

I didn't have time to build it , but it will rather work :cool:

Regards , nar

PS also check the borsanar thread , we got an Aleph X idea , but specially used components :angel:

regards ,

nar

Alain Dupont said:
acaudio,

Where did you "find" your:

2SK 389 GR {I have a few in stock... but would like new ones.}
2SJ 109 GR {I Didn't find these !!!}

Thanks so much for sharing.

Regards.

Alain.
Hello Alain,
I use currently "BL" types no GR.
I bought mine by www.schuro.de , but the 2SJ109BL are currently not available. You can buy those too by http://www.borbelyaudio.com/

Thanks for interesting
Adam

aht

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Final question for connecting

1. How to use potentiometer for conncet with UGS 3,4 .Does it use 5K, 10K, 20K or 100K (volume in or out ?)

2. What's version completely , with power supply rails +/- ?

3.Do I use capacitor for input/output or don't use both them ?

Thanks
AHT

Attachments

• ugs 3,4.jpg
    ugs 3,4.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 2,341
Re: Final question for connecting

aht said:
1. How to use potentiometer for conncet with UGS 3,4 .Does it use 5K, 10K, 20K or 100K (volume in or out ?)

2. What's version completely , with power supply rails +/- ?

3.Do I use capacitor for input/output or don't use both them ?

Thanks
AHT

Hello Aht,

if my calculation is correct the right value for pot should be 10k (service manual 10,75k). I tested it too with 100k, but if you use input cap, you should have a look at low pass effect

the supply rails are +/-33 V in the manual. 30...35V should be ok.

I would say, you can omit the caps, but in case of output stage failure....?

Regards
Adam

aht

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Mr.Pass & Mr.Borbely you are master of JFET

Could anybody post originally schematic (non cascode 2sk389 & 2sj109) I'll be compare with my UGS 3,4 in this picture. (I don't have a free time to clone it)

I think all X, XA and preamp series use UGS 3,4 for in put differential, Why ?

Ps : ZTX450, ZTX550, ZVP3310, ZVN3310, 2SK389, 2SJ109 they are correct choice

;)

Regard
AHT

Attachments

• x5feb.jpg
    x5feb.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 2,451
If you're asking me, yes I did test something almost identical back then. I remember that the design was not particularly temperature stable (differential offset). Then when I realized it was very similar to a particular IP protected design, I dropped the whole thing then and there before the Great Inquisition came aknocking at my door to investigate my unholy deeds. :D

Regards,
Milan

I really don't see why there is so much curiosity in the UGS modules. They are current production (and protected IP) and as surface mount technology not particularly a diy frendly project.

The X'd Bosoz has proven an admirable match to the X Aleph for the diy home constructor in imho.

macka

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.