Worth modding cheap speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Why don't you go ahead and trace it all out, and create a schematic in XSim or some other tool to share with us?

Interesting. So it's probably a second order with a resistor on the tweeter.

The small (8.2uF) cap and resistor are probably the key tweeter components. To start, replace the small cap with this, $7, and resistor with something like this 2R7 Mills. $5.50.

The 20uF cap, replace with an Axon if you'd like such as this. $4. This is assuming it's in parallel with the woofer.

After that consider the large inductor IF AND ONLY IF you have a way of measuring it or finding out the right value. Each step along the way, stop and listen. This is the best way to learn. Then the small inductor. Best good quality inductor measurement is here. $99

but really, start with a schematic so when you replace a part, you can learn what your changes mean.

All of these parts are merely suggestions, but among the cheapest I think will have any effect at all. Refer to my original list for other cheap caps.

Best,

Erik
Installed Xsim and im like what the hell but will have a look tomorow evening and see if i can use the software and do the schematic.Thank you all very much for your input

Last edited:
:)

It's really easy. You only have 5 types of devices to worry about when tracing out your crossover:

1. Copper lines on the PCB or wires are the lines. Put them in after your components are in XSim.

2. The white square is a resistor.

3. The --| |-- is a capacitor.

4. The --UUUU-- is a coil aka inductor.

5. Of course, the speakers are self evident.

XSim schematic Steps:

Put your parts down. Rotate them with "R" use the picture some one else posted as a guide to arranging them.

Wire them together OR place the end points on top of each other. XSim is nice that way. To add copper/wiring hold down the mouse on one end of a part and drag to the next. If there's a black dot, it will connect.

Right click and "Tune" to select the part values. Ignore anything you don't understand. For now also you don't know your coil (i.e. inductor) values so leave them at default.

Save a pic of your schematic for us and post it here. :)

The goal of this exercise is for you to learn how the PCB translates to a schematic, and vice versa. Don't just follow the example schematic blindly. Look at your board, and start from the amplifier connectors and try to work your way towards one specific driver.

Trace out one driver at a time. Go from the red terminal, and try to get to your tweeter. On your way to the tweeter you will probably discover the 8.2uF cap or the resistor. Probably one then the other. So, jot this down on paper, something like this:

o------[ Pretend this is a resistor symbol, a rectangle ]-----||------[]<

That's a really horrible way to represent it, but that's how you would draw it out in XSim.

For ease of drawing, we use the ground symbol to say "these are all going to the amp negative terminal" so you don't have to draw every single return line. You can though. Attach one to the other tweeter terminal.

Do the same for the woofer.

Done!

Last edited:
Thank you will have a go tomorrow unfortunately tonight my girlfriend needs my attention. I am watching vids on the net as well.have a good evening

If done right, she'll be needing it on a frequent basis - at least for a while - so pace yourself, and try to avoid the internet - it's full of bad things that can waste your time and rot your brain

like this forum ;)

Hi,

P10's generic crossover is just a guess and the
capacitor values are highly likely to be wrong.

Its very likely much nearer the 10.2 :

WD10.2_x-over.jpg

But you can simply read off the fitted capacitors the actual value.

rgds, sreten.

right i have changed the resister and the cap on the treble side of things on one speakers and they sound different so something has happened the only way i can explain it is the treble sounds different and also like its a foot closer to me .Where before voice were dead central they are now off centre towards the speaker with the changed caps .The new resister is 12 watt where the old one was 7 so is it that

right i have changed the resister and the cap on the treble side of things on one speakers and they sound different so something has happened the only way i can explain it is the treble sounds different and also like its a foot closer to me .Where before voice were dead central they are now off centre towards the speaker with the changed caps .The new resister is 12 watt where the old one was 7 so is it that

HI Hixy,

In general, no, going from a 7 to greater wattage should not change the sound, however the larger the resistor is in W, the less noise they tend to have. Whether it's even possible to hear such low noise at all I doubt, but there you have it. I believe this is most noticable in low voltage applications with lots of gain instead of speakers.

The only thing the wattage changes is the safety margin. Depending on where a resistor is in the crossover, it can get very hot very fast, or not hot at all. The higher the wattage, the greater the heat the individual part can dissipate without affecting it's performance. So long as you go to equal or greater wattage you will always be fine when it comes to resistors.

What brands of replacements are you using?

Erik

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.