Wood chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Far worse than the vacuum dilemma is the fact that we have reached Peak Electron Consumption! We're going to run out of electrons within this century because of companies like Apple and the billions of gadgets they produce. All those batteries have to be stuffed with electrons which are going to be in increasingly short supply and, it that weren't enough, the Chinese women who do the electron stuffing are threatening to go on strike.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I think,

He must have been a bit of a drip..I wonder if he had a coat on at the time, then again he might have been trying to gloss over the problem, I guess he took a shine to the idea, a bit of a sticky situation all round. It should have been clear to him that the varnish was wet? Perhaps he took a shine to it and fell for the idea, Of corse taking a cusory coat of the situation, he could have had a better idea of the depth of the situation.
His situation would have been better if it was water based then he could have left the coshh alone, however his mate matt would make a clean sweep of it and sponge it down. I guess he will have to strip for a living now!

Regards
M. Gregg

I think,

He must have been a bit of a drip..I wonder if he had a coat on at the time, then again he might have been trying to gloss over the problem, I guess he took a shine to the idea, a bit of a sticky situation all round. It should have been clear to him that the varnish was wet? Perhaps he took a shine to it and fell for the idea, Of corse taking a cusory coat of the situation, he could have had a better idea of the depth of the situation.
His situation would have been better if it was water based then he could have left the coshh alone, however his mate matt would make a clean sweep of it and sponge it down. I guess he will have to strip for a living now!

Regards
M. Gregg
Interestingly put. However, it may be a challenge to those members whose English is a second or third (or more) language. :(

OK people..

Back to reality. I got the amp fired (pun intented) up today and was I surprised at how quiet it was. I had to stick my ear right up to the speaker
to hear a very faint amount of hum. One foot away and the hum is gone. This is the best sounding amp I have! I can now recommend a wooden chassis.

Attachments

• box2.JPG
    box2.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 368
  • amp1.JPG
    amp1.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 361
  • amp4.JPG
    amp4.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 362
  • amp5.JPG
    amp5.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 363
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I must admit,

I thought there was going to be three holes with the tubes sticking through on each side:confused: and a nice shiny wood grain surface with perhaps a few holes for the heat, the boards mounted on stand offs under the chassis..:(

Ok the tubes would not stick through as much ... all that nice wood covered up...:confused:

Great its working though... :)

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
Here's the underside. I changed my mind about using the sheet metal. I'm kinda lazy like that. I ran some test with another PC board amp I have. (Stereo RH-84) that's not mounted on anything yet and got good results.
So I took the easy way out. About exposed wiring on the PC boards. If Dynaco, Heathkit and many others got away with it, I can too. And any way, how else can I get rid of some of the pesky grandkids!

Attachments

• amp6.JPG
    amp6.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 381
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
<snip> About exposed wiring on the PC boards. If Dynaco, Heathkit and many others got away with it, I can too. And any way, how else can I get rid of some of the pesky grandkids!

Those amplifiers all had cages for safety and it was a different era, cars without seatbelts, ungrounded metal cased appliances, and radios and TVs with hot chassis. In today's world they would be quickly sanctioned for such dangerous practices. Statistics indicate that the legislated fixes for these issues have some merit. :D

I understand grandkids can be annoying :eek: It only takes a moment for a very unfortunate accident to happen, and even being aware of the hazards doesn't mean it couldn't happen to you as well.

Please do something to address this issue or keep it locked out of reach..

Hi evenharmonics,

Firstly, I have no clue what the effeciency of the speakers is, I got them at A Goodwill thrift store (Kenwood 12" 3 way). If a wood acoustic guitar sounds good, then would it not follow that a wood chassis amp sound good also. {only kidding} The reason this one sound so good, it because I used quality power and output transformers. Also a choke in the power supply.
Lack of shielding was not a problem.

I just went back through that outrageous run of puns. Started me giggling all over again. Second great laugh from it today. Thanks to all for that and to Brucetassin for his forebearance.

The wood chassis looks great, very nicely done. I've used wood for chassis, both with and without foil lining. Both ways, they're quiet so I'm not sure what the answer is. I line pre s just as an extra in case it might help.

Regardless, again, very nice work from all who posted.

... The wood chassis looks great, very nicely done. I've used wood for chassis, both with and without foil lining. Both ways, they're quiet so I'm not sure what the answer is. I line pre s just as an extra in case it might help.
In AF the high impedance parts easily couple to existing fields and need shielding to prevent hum. What effects we can't distinguish as hum (and possibly interferes with optimal operation of the circuit) can be measured with the aid of an oscilloscope. Of cause one has to have understanding of the circuit at hand and measurement in general. Here's where the amateur and scholar part, possibly because of the lack of consensus on the operation of circuits, the discussion is getting lost in terms or the discrepancy between theory and practice comes to play.

Perhaps it's useful some very experienced builders with an academic background start a tread on measurement of ancient tube amp properties? It's all to easy relying on models and SoundBlaster measurements which seem to silence any critic. :note::note:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.