Wood chassis

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I will have a 1 meg resistor between common ground and earth.

Er,

1Meg between circuit Gnd and supply Gnd is way to high and will not give enough protection..

You need as close to earth as possible without hum issues.. If the circuit gnd needs lifting "at all" then you should not need any more than 100 ohm with high wattage...Reason is if you get a short circuit the supply fuse should blow, however if for some reason you get a fault that lifts the the ground the voltage drop across the 1 meg could give a leathal voltage on the circuit ground not enough current will flow to blow the fuse and so you have lost auto disconnection of supply.

Regards
M. Gregg

Last edited:
I will try to reattach

Hello All,
I would like comments on the project I'm working on. I am building an 6BQ5
push/pull amp and I am making an all wood chassis. What pit-falls should I
look for?
For a little history on the amp, see post #72 here.

Thanks.

Hi brucetassin

long ago I stopped using metal enclosures for tube gear.
Wooden boxes looks nicer, neater and never got microfony with them.

These are my two SET`s: 300B and 6C33C with pentode mode drivers. Point to point wiring, ground bus...
Oak around, 6mm teflon plate on top. No hum, no buzzz, no RF interference, no microphony. Never.

Go ahead. Make neat and you'll be happy for sure.

Attachments

• SET`s.bmp
    185.7 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
The amp is coming along nicely. I started mounting parts today after the finish dried. I should have it done in a few days.

Attachments

• amp1.JPG
    amp1.JPG
    61.8 KB · Views: 599
  • amp2.JPG
    amp2.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 589
  • amp3.JPG
    amp3.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 587
Can't you be more friendly to the environment by using less or no wood? :(

If the cosmetics is your concern, why not build the chassis out of metal first, then tag on thin wooden board with the veneer finish of your choice. That will simplify the structural aspect of chassis and use less wood. :2c:

In Defence of Wood

Can't you be more friendly to the environment by using less or no wood? :(

If the cosmetics is your concern, why not build the chassis out of metal first, then tag on thin wooden board with the veneer finish of your choice. That will simplify the structural aspect of chassis and use less wood. :2c:

It's not obvious to me that the production of steel is "greener" than the harvesting of wood. The greenest choice is usually the use of used or surplus material. I am able to pick up mill ends (surplus) that make a very nice chassis for very little cost and at zero impact other than the fuel burned on the trip to the store.

As for power consumption, I can offer no defense.

Attachments

• photo (24).jpg
    photo (24).jpg
    99 KB · Views: 542
Last edited:
I only use NOS vacuum tubes for the simple reason one of these days we are going to run out of vacuum. The last thing we need to let happen is the release of any more vacuum to our atmosphere...

Bruce, have you noticed an issue with AC current through a wood wire? I would think for the half cycle that the electrons went against the grain would be a problem...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.