Wilmslow Audio - Prestige platinum

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
3 days into the build

Well, the first cabinet is now assembled and I'm waiting for the glue to dry.

All the kit parts fit fairly snugly together but it is going to need a small amount of filling and quite a lot of delicate sanding to get the required finish.

Maybe that is being a bit unfair, only a master craftsman could produce a perfect fit first time, who knows, maybe even he uses a bit of fine finishing in his art.

Attachments

• DSIR9585.jpg
    DSIR9585.jpg
    897.7 KB · Views: 361
Well, after my first impressions of the kit, I'm now reasonably impressed. Although the bits seemed to fit together poorly, all it needed was a bit of sanding to remove a bit of excess MDF and they actually fit together perfectly.

The top of the cab needed a bit more sculpting and a bit of filler but not as much as I originally thought.

The back will need a bit more work but, hey, you can't normally see that bit.

I have a set of crossovers for Prestige Gold which (in my case) are external and could probably tell you component values if that's any help? The tweeters in the speakers are the D2905/9900.00 - I don't know if the components would be applicable to the rest of the 2905 range.

Hi Inrank,
Built hsm kit years ago but I am upgrading the 9300 tweeters to the 9500. Do you have the updated x over design? Would save me doing a lot of measurements if you do.

Kind regards

Well aint life a bummer sometimes !!!!

I phoned WA last week to order the 2 x Volt VM752 mids as the lead time on them is a couple of months.

A very nice Neil informed me that they would not fit my cabinets as they had supplied the Prestige Gold cabinets.

Cutting a log story short, he is visiting on Saturday with the correct cabinets.

I've just had a lot of practice with the wrong cabs trying my hand at French polishing.

They were starting to look quite reasonable, a long way still to go though.

I was absolutely sure that I've been intending on building the Platinums all along !!!

I have a set of crossovers for Prestige Gold which (in my case) are external and could probably tell you component values if that's any help? The tweeters in the speakers are the D2905/9900.00 - I don't know if the components would be applicable to the rest of the 2905 range.

Hi there, I'm going active with mine. I'm building a Linkwitz Crossover to x-over at 400Hz and 3800Hz.

Look at the bright side: They'll either supply ready-made cabs and you haven't lost anything but gained some woodwork experience or they'll give you the right kit in which case you've had a free practice kit and can avoid any mistakes you might have made.

At least that is the glass-half-full way of looking at it.
It helps sometimes when you get bummed out. ;-)

I feel such an idiot.

After carefully calculating, measuring and matching all my active crossover components, I then went and installed the wrong set of caps in both circuits.

Before I go desoldering over 40 caps, my question is, will it really make much difference.

In the Platinum the crossover frequencies are 400Hz and 3800Hz.

My slightly modified crossover would now crossover at 385Hz and 4kHz.

I've been told that passive crossovers are often off frequency by 10% or more, my active crossover is still within 6%.

I don't want to go damaging the PCBs if it isn't really that critical.

You might do well to ask WA, they told me that they supply the same passive crossovers for all three Prestige models! I was slightly surprised at this since the drivers are different but that's what they told me.

I feel such an idiot.

After carefully calculating, measuring and matching all my active crossover components, I then went and installed the wrong set of caps in both circuits.

Before I go desoldering over 40 caps, my question is, will it really make much difference.

In the Platinum the crossover frequencies are 400Hz and 3800Hz.

My slightly modified crossover would now crossover at 385Hz and 4kHz.

I've been told that passive crossovers are often off frequency by 10% or more, my active crossover is still within 6%.

I don't want to go damaging the PCBs if it isn't really that critical.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.