Why do people listen to people from the industry??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Peter Daniel said:

Don't forget it was in CAD $. I don't go as far as saying you are lying. I just think you spent too much;)

Shipping may be rather daunting. The same can unfortunately be said about USA. Plenty of stuff thats cheaper there, but shipping and customs take the fun out of it.

I though would like to see the same wire and quality for a quarter of the price...even in the states ;)

A big issue with that type of wire is the quality of the plating...the best is only just good enough.

To get back on the subject....

As Frank mentioned....we are probably just jalous cause we are not the ones selling the snake oil. :D

I personally am just about to have had enough of the snake oil you get every time you ask about a produc or look at specs. I have spent enormeous amounts of time testing, to get around it. That ought not be nessecery i think ?????

Magura:)

Peter Daniel said:
I agree that plating might be important, as that wire didn't sound good to me. OTOH DH Labs silver plated wire sounded very smooth and pretty good (almost silver like).

It just dawned on me that silver plated wire is actually also one of the common believes, to be sonically bad. I guess its even a real bad case of negative snake oil cause Im almost sure that belief have arised here on DIYaudio.

As Peter wrote, you can sure find silver plated wire that sounds terrible. What I didnt know, but was told by Frank, is that its the quality of the plating that makes the difference. I just knew that you should not buy anything but Habia wire. I will almost bet you that DHL Labs wire is the same as the Habia wire we bought. There are not that many manufacturers in the world that can make good quality wire of that type, as far as im concerned.

When I first started into audio I thought BOSE was the greatest speakers ever made, then I started listening to some of the towers, Def tech, Polk, yada yada.

Then I came upon a post on the [H] forums dealing with computer speakers and how they are built on assembly line and many of the speakers that I thought were high end were just using pretty low components. He pointed us over to speakerbuilder.net about how the D3's were a excellent sounding value for the price/performance.

After digging around more and more I happened upon this site. I do hope others tell people about diyaudio.com as it is a great resource. I wish my cases would come in so I could finish the gainclone's that BrianGT mailed me.

Thats the marketing hype we all have been victims of at some point.

Very rarely does reality exceed the expectations when the marketing machine is that much of a bulldozer.

The only time recently Ive been positively surprised was when I recieved the Cardas binding posts ordered through Rodd...I regret I didnt order more of them. But thats again a reaction to the bulldozer marketing. I have become very sceptic about all marketing, even some actually is reasonably faithfull to the reality.

Nelson Pass, but even he recently surrendered to the concept of better sounding rectifiers for audio

What i read was he did not hear a difference. The other guys at passlabs claimed to do so. But there may be an other reason for soft recovery: EMI.

I´m very sure there is no good and bad sounding rectifier for audio. That is a snakeoil theorie. But for sure there a good and bad implementations. And it may be easier to find a way for a bad implementation with a small standart rectifier diode than with a big 30A softrecovery diode. Also there may be more and less noise sensitive circuits implemeted doing work on the audio signal. Of corse it will be easier to implement a circuit that is more sensitive to noise and thus makes the innocent rectifier diode a "bad" one.

Reality is not only black and white, but its easier to sell something with a world view like that. Audio cables, war, ....

Why????

Because they want to.

"You would pay to know what you really think."

-J. R. Dobbs

That about sums up high-end.

And what happens to companies that try to buck the trend??

The roadside is littered with ones that tried. You would be surprised how many found out he hard way that no one wants the truth, no matter how much they protest.

So, in the end.......it is just "bidnis".

Buck Strickland would agree.

Jocko

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
it might be more complicated than that.

A lot of people just don't have the knowledge (or the desire to acquire the knowledge) to understand the differences between various systems. They would rather turn to an "expert" for advice. It is just unfortunate that some of those "experts' are nothing short of con-artists.

and there is no shortage of some of them everywhere, including on this forum. and you don't need to look hard to spot them.

diyAudio Retiree
Joined 2002
I couldn't buy material this good.......

"For you it is but far from everyone! How many really review the source of the information? Some people is easier to fool than others. That's the simple truth." -Per Anders

How much easier? :confused: You could always hyperlink to the information source to reap the benefits of the experts work.:soapbox:

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
Re: I couldn't buy material this good.......

Fred Dieckmann said:
[BHow much easier? :confused: You could always hyperlink to the information source to reap the benefits of the experts work.:soapbox: [/B]

Fred, you may be overestimate some people's intelligence. I have seen people who would insist that a circuitry in a datasheet clearly labeled as soft-start circuity doesn't do what the manufacturer said it would; or they would not be able to correctly capture a circuitry with < 10 components.

I suppose it is not that difficult to fool those people. Would you disagree?

Re: Re: I couldn't buy material this good.......

millwood said:

I suppose it is not that difficult to fool those people. Would you disagree?

Nope...you are as right about that as you possibly could be.

I just explained somebody here on the board that PTFE is a superior insulator to cotton.....that didnt work too well. The sound of the insulator of an interconnect was claimed to be night and day difference with cotton instead.

I wrote a reply that Id be more than interested in such a result, if he could tell the difference in a blind test, he would simply have to call me, cause that would sure make both of us rich and famous.

I submitted the reply, and read the entire post again...then I decided against the value of asking him to do a blind test (made such a test myself a while ago, both with myself as listener, and a surely un knowing test person with no idea what i did when changing around, since I would be biased)....it would be waste of time....so I deleted the reply.

This is the kind of stuff that made me start this thread :whazzat:

Funny thing about listening to the "industry"...
When I was a young 'un, I went to a mine (one of my degrees is in geology, but I started as a rock collector way back when I was a little fella) with some other folks. We were in Georgia somewhere and before all was said and done, I had red clay staining a white pair of jeans. Okay, so I hadn't really thought the clothing question through. On the way home a couple of the older ladies in the group were chastizing me for ruining my jeans with that red clay. I solemnly assured them that my mother had some detergent that would take out the stains. They rolled their eyes. To make a long story short, against all odds, the detergent really did take out the stains--the commercials hadn't lied.
Would the detergent have worked as well against grass stains, blood, or whatnot? I don't know. But the advertisements said it would take out soil stains and it did. The skepticism of those old ladies didn't keep the stuff from working.
Don't misunderstand. I'm not saying that folks never shade the truth and I'm not saying that they don't sometimes outright lie if the stakes are high enough, but not everything that people say is untrue.
It's not good to be so gullible that you believe everything that you're told.
But it's almost as bad to be so suspicious that you trust nothing that others say.

Grey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.