Why do people listen to people from the industry??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Plastic becomming magnetic.

Do they really mean MAGNETIC?
Or are they confusing it with STATIC?

Take the interconnects from noordost. They are an exact match of a twisted pair of multistranded copper, just priced somewhat higher.

The question then is, how to do market it? Are THEY making any extravagant claims about it?

I mean, anyone can buy twisted pair cable or even make their own but if the Nordost still sounds better to most listeners then it's probably not just industrial cable rebadged, no?

Look at a site like audio note. They have been so far out that they have been posted as jokes here on the forum.

I make jokes about them too although it's mostly at the way the products are priced.
Although that is probably the oldest marketing trick in the world anyway: being extravagantly priced only works for as long as you're the only one holding the goodies in your hands, no?

Cheers,;)

fdegrove said:
Hi,

Do they really mean MAGNETIC?
Or are they confusing it with STATIC?

Cheers,;)

One could hope they had it confused with static, but the sad truth is NOT so.

Noordost are marketing the interconnects as superior high end, I compared them with a pair of DIY interconnects made of the silver plated wire we spoke about the other evening. Dont get me wrong, I havnt found anything thats better than a twisted pair of silver plated copper wire (plated for the sake of avoiding oxidation of the copper), but thats besides the point. The fact is that there is research and materials for less than 10 USD in those interconnects. Counting out the subjective claims that is ;)

Magura:)

Magura said:

Dont get me wrong, I havnt found anything thats better than a twisted pair of silver plated copper wire (plated for the sake of avoiding oxidation of the copper),

Don't get me wrong, but to me the above statement is snake oil with intention of the profit: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31508

I even find it harder to believe that bulk price for that wire is $1.33 per meter.;)

Peter Daniel said:

Don't get me wrong, but to me the above statement is snake oil with intention of the profit: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31508

I even find it harder to believe that bulk price for that wire is $1.33 per meter.;)

Why do you think I didnt make a reference to the trading post??

Now that you have taken the éffort of accusing me of lying, you might as well get the explanation of why you are behaving un acceptable. If you could be bothered to read the entire 2 posts in the trading post, you would see there is written non profit.

If you take a look at the farnell catalogue you will find that a generally cheaper brand is ~708.33USD per 500 meters plus 25% VAT....can you do the rest of the math yourself??

So please tell me where the profit lies when sold for 1.33 USD??

It was bought to share between a few friends, to get a reasonable price we had to buy 500meters. Now the rest is sold as non profit here on the board ......man do I get rich from all this snake oil.

In other words, watch your mouth Peter if you cant be bothered to even check if your accusations are even close to be right.

Magura

Peter Daniel said:
Why are you geting so excited? I only said I find it hard to believe, nothing else.

That means "I expect you are lying" where I come from.

To use your own words. I find it hard to believe you can buy 19*0.25mm silver plated teflon insulated MIL spec. wire for 10c a foot, thats like 30c a meter as in 2 DKK.....less than a quarter of what we paid for if from the factory.

back on the main subject of this thread...... Mainly, people dont have any clue as to what good sound is to begin with. If you have no way on earth to compare a stereo to something, how will you know if it sounds good or not. I used to be one of those people untill i bought a pair of grado headphones for $60. That sure was an eye opener (well....ear opener). I then wanted a regular setup (non headphones) that could compare with those grados, and several googles later i found diy audio.

Magura said:

That means "I expect you are lying" where I come from.

To use your own words. I find it hard to believe you can buy 19*0.25mm silver plated teflon insulated MIL spec. wire for 10c a foot, thats like 30c a meter as in 2 DKK.....less than a quarter of what we paid for if from the factory.

Don't forget it was in CAD $. I don't go as far as saying you are lying. I just think you spent too much;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.