Why aren't we building bookshelf Synergy monitors?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Your horn is a perfect candidate for 3D printing!!!

Substantial portions were indeed 3d printed (woofer mount plate adapter, woofer volume filler, mid/tweet throat adapter). The horn waveguide itself was cheaper to buy COTS (also my printer cannot handle bigger than 8inx8in).

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/285030-bookshelf-multi-way-point-source-horn.html

528945d1454484423-bookshelf-multi-way-point-source-horn-lth142-swcond-woofer-01.jpg

Throat adapter:

526756d1453501391-bookshelf-multi-way-point-source-horn-sb65-long-adapter-photo.png

Driver mount adapter:

527484d1453821187-bookshelf-multi-way-point-source-horn-horn-woofer-adapter-01.jpg

Driver volume filler plug:

527784d1453987194-bookshelf-multi-way-point-source-horn-woofer-mount-05-volume-filler1.png

Finished speaker:

529809d1454908866-bookshelf-multi-way-point-source-horn-baffle-black-2s.png

XO measurement:

534203d1456601648-bookshelf-multi-way-point-source-horn-xbush-harsch-xo.png

I admire ("envy") such precision. Is the most time consuming part of creating a (unique) 3-D part the thought process (design, enter into some kind of CAD program?) There is a lot to be said for the lower-tech slap-dash "prototyping" method such as my recent wood frame, stretchy fabric, paint can for weight and Gorilla Glue for stiffener, plus x-acto knife :)

Sent from my NV570P using Tapatalk

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I am all for quick and dirty speakers too. Most of my builds are foam core and cut with a razor and straight edge and glued with hot melt. The variant of what I did (built by Bushmeister) was a speaker made with lots of automotive body putty (Bondo) and plywood that ended up measuring better than my 3D printed speaker. A lot of it is the driver selected bit some was fact that a heavy lump of Bondo combined with lots of bracing, sorbothane, felt etc makes a more "dead sounding" box for lower distortion.

The most time consuming part was waiting for the 3D printer to do its thing. They are slow. The big woofer adapter mount there was an 11hr print job. Modeling in 3D is not too bad if you are familiar and handy with 3D CAD. Making paper shape transfer patterns was a slow process - a few hours. If you do it all the time there are automated 3D scanners.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.