Which of These 3 Options will Give the Nicest Sound?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I am having a dilemma to choose between 3 options that seem nice to me.

These are 3 drivers/speakers.

Ideally I would've listened to all 3, and then choose one,
but unfortunately none of these options is sold in my country,
so I have to choose and order "blindly" (or deafly), and only then discover what I got..

Some important info:
The use of these speakers is for being computer speakers, mainly for listening to music.
Being mostly close to it, it should work good as nearfield, even in relatively low volume,
and will not be used as loud room speakers that need to "fill a room"..
(I usually listen at a moderate volume, because the speakers are on the desk, close to me)

Here are the 3 options:

The first:
The first option is something so many people here recommended me, as a very nice sounding driver:

Peerless by Tymphany (Vifa) - TC9FD18-08

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

https://www.parts-express.com/peerl...-3-1-2-full-range-paper-cone-woofer--264-1062

This is a 3.5" Driver.

The second:
This is a ready made speaker pair, which you might know, since it's manufactured by Parts Express' brand:

Dayton Audio - B652-AIR

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayto...kshelf-speaker-with-amt-tweeter-pair--300-651

It has a 6.5" woofer.

The third:
The third option is another ready made speakers, this time they have a built in amplifier, because they are meant to be computer speakers:

Edifier - R1280T

Edifier International R1280T - Powered Bookshelf Speakers

It has a 4" woofer.

When judging between the 3, please ignore the pricing.
Only relate to which will give the best sound out of the 3, for nearfield use.

Also, please don't be impressed by the fact that the B652-AIR has an AMT Tweeter..
The reason: I usually like to attenuate the high frequencies,
so the tweeter type in a speaker (or lack of tweeter in it, like in the case of the TC9FD18) is not a factor for me..

Thank you all

Last edited:
Imho a fullrange driver (TC9FD) will sound best as a near-field speaker. Usually it takes some distance for multi-ways for the sound from different drivers to "intergrate".

This is ofcourse ignoring the bass response limitations of the multi-ways, which will produce lower frequencies (bass) better.

Well, since this is DIYAudio, and there's only one DIY option, the choice is kinda easy!

Do you want to dabble in DIY audio stuff, and ready for lots of tweaking, trying, failing, success and all that's related to DIY, .... or do you want to plug in a pair of monitors and listen to music, not bothering with making dust and glueing your fingers?

Well, since this is DIYAudio, and there's only one DIY option
hehe, you're right :)
But since I am interested in getting the nicest sound for music, then I am considering both options..

Imho a fullrange driver (TC9FD) will sound best as a near-field speaker. Usually it takes some distance for multi-ways for the sound from different drivers to "intergrate".
Interesting point.

Tho a trick can be made here.
In the 2 ready-made speakers (options 2 and 3), we can disable the tweeter,
thus achieving a 1-Way speaker..
In that case, what would you then think about the 3 options?

This is ofcourse ignoring the bass response limitations of the multi-ways, which will produce lower frequencies (bass) better.
Also there is the fact that the B652-AIR is the only 6.5" woofer in this list of options,
while the other speakers have a driver which is 3.5" or 4"..
(but maybe the TC9FD, which is 4", is so good, that it's better than the B652-AIR's 6.5"? what do you guys think?)

Last edited:
Oh man, the multi-ways would sound terrible if you un-wired the tweeter! They would definitely sound better with the tweeter wired- exactly how it's sold xD.
OK then, no mutilation for the 2-way speaker.

My vote is still the TC9FD. I'm a bit biased though :).
Wow..
So in your opinion a 3.5" driver will be better than the B652-AIR's 6.5" driver?
Surprising.

If other people can also give their opinions it will be interesting to hear.

BTW,
since the TC9FD are so recommended, I think that what I will do is choose not 1, but 2 from these 3 options.
The first option is the TC9FD - I will buy 2 of them to experiment.
Now the second option that I need to choose is between the Edifier speakers, or the Dayton Audio speakers..

Which is why I added the smiley. It could dare you to build it though, bringing back the DIY part. A fun thread has been underway to dissect it's building blocks: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/299618-need-help-building-open-baffle-bass-reflex-hybrid.html

It did fit the bill of ready made small speakers, but for your application it would depend on the placement if an OB top like that would work. You talk about using them near field on a desk. These do need a bit of room, and probably distance from them.

How did the other two speakers end up on your list? It seems to me one could put just about any near field monitor speaker on that list too. Lots to choose from.

How did the other two speakers end up on your list? It seems to me one could put just about any near field monitor speaker on that list too. Lots to choose from.
The Edifier R1280T is #1 Best Seller in Amazon, in the Bookshelf Speakers category.

The Dayton Audio was found by going over Parts Express site, seeing it,
and then seeing several videos recommending it and its price-value ratio.

Please note that while the price on the site for the B652-AIR is 49$,
for me it's going to be 100$.
(the additional 51$ are for international shipping)

Just to add another opinion, I'd go with the full range, single driver set-up. Can you get Mark Audio speakers? Dealers | Markaudio
If so, your options are wide open, but still in the same price bracket. A pair of CHP-70's in a slim golden ratio box is what I used and it was outstanding.
If you can't get Mark Audio speakers , the TC9 is the choice I would make. The link wesayso included would be the ticket in my opinion.
And I would say you definitely don't want to get one of the two-ways and disable the tweeter. Those woofers won't provide the highs.
Mike

Thank you
Can you please say why full range, single driver set-up is best in your opinion?

As mentioned earlier, listening near-field full-range is completely coherent (the highs and lows blend better than with a 2-way at close range). The imaging/soundstage is pretty remarkable with near-field full-range. From experience, I'll stick with full-range for near-field listening.
Mike

spaceman5 - since you've posted this in the "full-range" - i.e. usually taken to mean Single / Wide-band Driver - you're likely to receive a lot of suggestions for systems of that type, including many from fans of the Peerless / Vifa TC9F - rather than the multi-ways as in your posted photos.

I've always considered the application to be the number 1 factor in the calculus of designing a system and choosing a particular component thereof. For nearfield computer use - in my case, always certainly less than the 1 meter that is the standard for SPL spec - that would suggest that a good quality single full range driver would more than suffice.

There is now more than ever an embarrassment of riches in this category from which to chose, and as far as suggestions - be careful what you wish for - and note that many will be based on the assumption that you can fabricate a pair of what will usually be fairly small (usually wood) enclosures.

Jon - the Airbornes are very nice performers, particularly in a full sized floorstander, but for a desk-top/ nearfield as per original post, I'd be inclined towards something smaller.

I'm not particularly a big fan of the TC9, but it certainly does nothing wrong and has lots of fans here. No surprise to frequent readers here, but personally I'd recommend something like Fostex FF85WK or Alpair6P for this case. Both can deliver quite decent low level full bandwidth performance in boxes as small as a few liters.

Attachments

• IMG_0607.JPG
    IMG_0607.JPG
    402.2 KB · Views: 289
I've always considered the application to be the number 1 factor in the calculus of designing a system and choosing a particular component thereof. For nearfield computer use - in my case, always certainly less than the 1 meter that is the standard for SPL spec - that would suggest that a good quality single full range driver would more than suffice.
I see.
Thank you for this important tip.
So I will stay with a single, Full Range.

There is now more than ever an embarrassment of riches in this category from which to chose, and as far as suggestions - be careful what you wish for

I'm not particularly a big fan of the TC9, but it certainly does nothing wrong and has lots of fans here. No surprise to frequent readers here, but personally I'd recommend something like Fostex FF85WK or Alpair6P for this case. Both can deliver quite decent low level full bandwidth performance in boxes as small as a few liters.
Many people recommend the TC9FD,
and some other recommend something else, like you recommended the Fostex FF85WK or Alpair6P..
So how can one choose wisely?

My recommendation would be to go with a driver designed for full range use; Fostex or Mark Audio. I'm sure the others are great speakers, but to answer your question as completely and usefully as possible, I would recommend a purpose built full range driver. As for preferences, I like Mark Audio drivers. Others will have preferences too, so you'll have to pick one and go with it.
Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.