which clock to choose

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
li_gangyi said:
looks like it...but what use would it be without an oscillator?? or is he using one of those cesium based thingies to dirve this buffer?? Seems to have an input plug similar to those found on a frequency standard thingy...hehe

Sure, but it might be intended as an additional tweak when
you put a new clock into your CDP. If you just put in a new
clock that doesn't have multiple outputs, you still have to
route the clock through one chip to the others. This might
be intended as an extra buffer to make the clock multiple-output.
Still, I am just guessing and I may be way off. We'll see, Jocko
will probably tell us after a while when he has got enough
good laughs at our wrong guesses. :)

rbroer said:
I remember Jocko's clock being sinus output, so it could be a square-up circuit.

Not sure this was intended for his clock. Anyway, as I remember
it his point was to feed a sine to the chips, and trust the internal
circuitry in the chip to do the sqauring since you get less HF
thrash this way. On the other hand, that won't work if we
distribute the clock separately to each chip, since we may get
synch problems, so you may be right.

This is getting funny...HEY JOCKO~!!! TELL US THE ANSWER~!!! HAHA...I really can't believe he would hold that back...must be having a real good laugh...I kinda feel bad that the answer is out there...but he doesn't want to give it...grrrrrr...anyways...I'm kinda new to these DAC and clock thingy...I do know a bit on electronics...and clock jitter,,,other than replacing the crystal woth a lower jitter one with it's dedicated power supply...are there any other ways to "improve" the performance (I wouldn't really say sound here) of a CD-Player??

The program that I used to draw this did not leave me pins for V_ss and V_dd.

No, don't put it all in one chip!!! Remember my "phase noise files" post"? After I did it, it dawned on me WHY using the filter chip for the clock inverter HAS to sound rotten.

They don't have seperate analog and digital V_ss and V_dd pins. All that crap going on inside of a filter chip, along with the oscillator.....well, it has to have rotten noise with all that ground bounce, etc. on one set of pins.

National Semi has a good app note on ground bounce, in of all places, the data book on PALs. The last place an analog guy would look.

I'll find the number, and maybe you guys can find it on their site.

Jocko

Lars Clausen said:
Guido Tent: If i call my next clock: The JX53PP, would you also copy that?

http://www.diyhifisupply.com/parts/cd_xo_clock.html

:D

Lars,

No

The names followed function. Actually my very first customers (1997) named the canned modules XO. The only thing I did is gave them a succeeding number. My next clock could be XO4, just in case you have plans naming your next one XO4.

Now I got your attention, did you find a chance already to get back to mine and others' questions ?

Sorry Guido, the only question i could find from you, is the one about the importance of absolute frequency precision.

Well maybe you can argue that noone can hear if the playing speed is 0,005% off. (As would be the case with a normal 50 ppm xtal.) Others will argue that you can not hear jitter below the 96dB limit of 16 bit CD's. Other's again will argue that you can't hearthe difference between cables with PVC or TEFLON insulation, because the signal only run in the metal part of the cable. Others again will argue that you can never hear the difference between amplifiers if they just have less than 0.1% distortion.

I think the adjustment of the oscillator speaks of quality, and it shows that care has been taken to ensure the quality of a product. Not just that someone bought a 50c component and printed their name on it, in order to sell it for a high price to unknowing customers.

I hope this answers your question, if not please ask again :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.