Which Are Best Budget Compression (mid-h.f. range) Drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The bass horns have the drivers in? How do they sound compared to normal bass enclosures?
Yes they have the drivers mounted in the rear back compression chamber..Answer to question nr.2(try also and google and find many articles or impresions-opinions on this subject):Incrediblle life-like dynamics,huge impact and scale,superbly accurate tone,fantastic transients...and you have not the feeling that the musicians are there :) - in fact they are there:D!!An good front midbasshorn(there are a few different contours available here as a choice)will shock you efectively...I understand the choice of using passive radiators or dipole on midbass when you have problems related to estetic,ethic,WAF or lack of space,but when you search for the real dynamic and accurate timbre sound you'll go with a good constructed(design and material choice) and well implemented horn(dampening solutions,position,frequency range)!!Don't worry,I've start with conventional passive radiators loudspeakers(B&W,Dynaudio,Opera,etc)spending a lot of money until I realize that this is the wrong way if you want your reproduced music to be life-like dynamic,accurate,articulate and resolutive....,if you'll have the strong will,passion and pacience to study and make experiments,you'll find what you are looking for...As I said I'm on the road,searching...

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2011-12-30 om 18.21.51.png
    Schermafbeelding 2011-12-30 om 18.21.51.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 653
  • Schermafbeelding 2011-12-30 om 18.21.36.png
    Schermafbeelding 2011-12-30 om 18.21.36.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 652
Last edited:
Tapped horn sub with 12" car sub woofer mivoc AW3000. 138liter due low Vas of the driver.

Edit: sim is done at 2,83V this is 2W for the 4Ohm driver.

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2011-12-30 om 18.49.59.png
    Schermafbeelding 2011-12-30 om 18.49.59.png
    16.6 KB · Views: 641
  • Schermafbeelding 2011-12-30 om 18.49.44.png
    Schermafbeelding 2011-12-30 om 18.49.44.png
    23.1 KB · Views: 646
  • Schermafbeelding 2011-12-30 om 18.49.26.png
    Schermafbeelding 2011-12-30 om 18.49.26.png
    23.3 KB · Views: 636
Yes the KH55 horn is very special, klipsch is my hero he made his all live horn speakers and was one of the founders for the theory on the subject. I like the shape of the la scala never owned a klipsch speaker I am DIY.

To come on topic again a 1 3/8 tread horn driver from monacor only 36 euro MRD44PA. The response extends down to 650Hz. Titanium dome with some correction 105dB 1Wmtr. Very nice for Hifi to play 2W max 108dB in the living room, at a low XO. :):)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

MRD-44PA Horntreiber IMG STAGE LINE
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Response measured with this 15 euro CD horn MHR83. So the set with driver is 51 Euro. It would be better to make a bigger horn your self so you have better loading at 600Hz and low THD.

http://www.schlotzhauer-versand.de/product_info.php/MRH-83/PA-Mittelhochtonhorn/products_id/82858?osCsid=8d14ed8b331010cd7acc1d3491f12228

Last edited:
Last edited:
I have decided to build a heavely modded pair La Scalas, and i have also decid to use these compression drivers:
Eminence APT200 5k-20k (APT 50 with biradial horn)
Selenium DX250 for 400-5k in a wood Iwata horn

For the bass i will use 15" Eminence drivers in La scala Bass Horns, with ports mod. Still have to chose the exact driver.

Anyway
Have a look at the compression drivers. Alot of people use them for Klipsch Clones

Last edited:
Joined 2008
Paid Member
DX-250

I have decided to build a heavely modded pair La Scalas, and i have also decid to use these compression drivers:
Eminence APT200 5k-20k (APT 50 with biradial horn)
Selenium DX250 for 400-5k in a wood Iwata horn

For the bass i will use 15" Eminence drivers in La scala Bass Horns, with ports mod. Still have to chose the exact driver.

Anyway
Have a look at the compression drivers. Alot of people use them for Klipsch Clones

Greetings,
I use the Selenium DX250 for my mid-range in an EV9040 horn. I'm not familiar with the Iwata horn you mentuioned, but would like to see a picture.
Right now i am x'ing @ 500Hz, but would love to get as low as 400 as you have done, or planned on doing !
IMHO the Selenium DX250 is a gem of a driver, esp based on it's price. I almost missed the fact that it's a mid-compression unit because it's 1 3/8 threaded.
And yes, please keep us informed !!

Attachments

• k74_FR.png
    k74_FR.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 675
  • k74_imp.png
    k74_imp.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 673
@Pano
Mini-DSP i hope. I will try a passive crossover too, and it will be my first one :D.
Any advice in this area is welcomed.

I have started to modify an Eminence APT-50. I removed the fero-fluid, and i have polished the phase plug. I think it's sound thinner now(in a good way).
Any other ideas? I want to sqeeze everything out of it.

@Scott - I bet the Selenium has some hidden potential also. If it's good...why not make it better :D?

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Selenium

@Scott - I bet the Selenium has some hidden potential also. If it's good...why not make it better :D?

I'm all ears for any ideas you may have !!

Actually, in keeping with the trend of this thread, as good as it sounds now on the EV HR9040 horns, measurements are planned. I suspect a very small equalization circuit will be required, as i "think?" the response curve is somewhat rounded, albeit just slighly.

@scott
Open one and look after imperfections, and find a way to correct them(sand-paper, some stuffing in the back chamber...)
I'm no expert but from what i know, any imperfection, any disturbance in the horn profile is BAD! And the compression driver is a part of the horn, and it should be as smooth as possible.

Regarding the horns.

In one or two months i hope i will sell some cheap IWATA horns :D.

The mould will be ready fast, but i will have to play with materials a bit. They must be cheap...but GOOD!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.