Which Are Best Budget Compression (mid-h.f. range) Drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
limono said:
well since good horn systems cost around $70-150K in ready to go state , budget in $7-$15k for Diy or don't bother .This is my current take on the subject. Rgrds, L

Well that's very helpful. :rolleyes:

Oh and...............bump. :D

FWIW, I think limono's estimate is right on the money.
My budget for my own project has been right in that bracket.

Marco

Bump...any comments on the P.Audio BM-D26S for ~$30?

I have made couple of test sweeps to mk2 BM-D26 and DM-D26S. Lots of distortion. They seem to put together without too much attention to align parts and it causes extra distortion.
I disassembled them. Played 800-950 Hz sine. Aligned diaphragm to cleanest spot. Then aligned compression chamber to cleanest spot. May have to file diaphragm edges to be able to move it to clean spot.

Here's a real budget driver from Selenium. I use it XO'd at 650 Hz on an Altec 511 horn. It's only a mid so you lose some high end but with the money you save you might afford a tweeter. It's a little hot in the middle so you'll probably want a notch filter and maybe some padding.

Parts-Express.com: Selenium D250-X 1" Phenolic Horn Driver 1-3/8"-18 TPI | compression driver tweeter horn driver high frequency 1" exit 1" throat midrange PA driver tweeter driver selenium083108

It's the driver on the lower horn on the right. You'll notice I had to make an adapter for it as I attached it to a bolt on flange.
Ten years later, I still haven't found a permanent replacement for my 511B horns, the Selenium D250 X1, plus Celestion 15" drivers. Have you?
Current contenders: per channel, 3 15" Celestions, 2 Planar Neo 10s, one Neo 8. These seem like nice girls, but the horns are a fun date.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.