What's the best pair of bookshelf speakers for under $1000?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Say Rodango did you make a choice for anything?

Well, I'm leaning towards the ER18DXT at this time but I tell you what, the Proac 1SC is quite awesome. I used to have a pair of clones that I got from

PROAC 1SC

and I put the OW1 mod in them. They sounded ALMOST as good as my BGCorp RD50s... but I sold them... very foolish.

But if I could land a pair of real 1SCs for under a grand, I would.

The actual procurement date has not yet been set. Current finances dictate that I still have plenty of time to choose :)

Also, how does one actually weight a review from Stereophile? I see reviews from Stereophile linked!!!! How can they be taken seriously by intelligent people. There are +thousand dollar cables reviewed in there!!

They may push (or at best condone) a fair bit of snake oil. but they also publish measurements of most loudspeakers they review.

That counts for something.

One also wonders what kind of supporting equipment they use such as sources, preamps, amps, interconnects, etc. I will say, however, that the biggest bang for my buck that I have ever received was with quality interconnects - they opened my system WAY up and what I heard from my BGCorp RD50s was the closest to live music I have ever heard.

But the RD50s are gone and I still need to choose their replacement, hence the need for this thread.

I still have all of my supporting equipment and an awaiting the day when I once again can listen to incredibly well reproduced music.

It seems some of the recommendations are more than a bit price hyped.....A decent pair of bookshelfs should get well under a grand $800 or so should be the limit.for the pair. $800 for each is way out of line...well into the snake-oil territory. More & more money gets you diminishing returns...lets not forget this concept.

___________________________________________________Rick...........

As a correction, it's $800/pr. in bamboo ply. And now we make a birch plywood version of the Orca Fullrange, for $500/pr. My wife and I make these cabinets by hand in our own woodshop, and we've made hundreds of pairs for many pleased customers all over the globe.

Also, it's linseed oil not snake oil. ;)

-Clark

P.S. They can be hooked up to pretty much any amplifier, but they'll only want 5-10 watts to be put into them regardless of what's on tap. They are anticipated for a natural, relaxing lower to medium volume playback.

Last edited:
Clark,

What kind of bamboo ply are you using?

dave

Dave, i use the 1/2 in vertical grain bamboo from plybam. I've heard stranded as well and its even stiffer, but it seems almost unnecessarily so for a speaker the size of the Orcas. The look is really cool though, almost like solid wood. I personally prefer the "neutrality" of the natural for sonics by a tiny margin, but most folks opt for caramelized (slightly brighter) or birch ply (slightly warmer).

Probably right, it is a small box. The stranded thou is much harder to damage surface wize so will stand up to more wear & tear and still look good.

dave

That's a really good point, Dave. The stuff is just granite-hard. Its amazing that wood products like this are available at all anymore considering the ever constant drive of traditional lumber mills to charge the same price for stuff that comes out in ever lower incriments of quality.

So which speakers did Rodango get?

Ive been enjoying them now for about 5 years. I replaced all of the crossover caps with Mundorf EVOs and they sound fantastic.

BUT..they are not bookshelf speakers.

What are they?

ESS AMT !Cs

I'd STILL like to find my bookshelf speakers...

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Best shelves transducter... fostex 7 T...less than 100 bucks brandnew, no visual and listening fatigue.
Bigger second hand , Dynaudio SE 50 or special anniversarry. Reference 3A.Phil Jones 2 ways...
Imho all best than kef and proac I listened.
Diy... Bagbys, Zaph...etc. here, as you live in US, Adamson fellow Bettsy speaker with a sub ...like the philosophy of less filter parts.
Honnestly choice is huge...try to avoid hifi review hips

First of all, my apologies but there does not seem to be a topic like this discussed in recent history.

What I'm looking for is the most perfectly neutral bookshelf speaker pair (kit, assembled or plans) for under $1000. Flat frequency response and able to take 100W or so. I am trying for a sound at least as good as my BGcorp RD50 ribbons.

I have tried the Proac 1SC clone, Ascend Acoustics CBM-170, KEF C20 and Klipsch RB-81. The Proac clone sounded best to me but rather than audition every bookshelf speaker available, I thought I'd ask...

"What's the best pair of bookshelf speakers for under $1000?"
to me bookshelve= small 5, 6. or 7 inch woofer mated to a tweeter. imo, by design, faulty unless listed at extreme nearfield.

Music needs air and effortlessness. Seas A26 with DIY cabs are the best 1000$ bookshelve ive had

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Thanks.

I like that sort of face to face reviews.

The english one is very expensive with their said specific polymer, I heard a big one I liked... but how to know before having it at home with the devices we know ! :rolleyes:.

I remember in the late 70s' & 80s' all those 10" drivers in bookshelves... :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.