What's the best pair of bookshelf speakers for under $1000?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
sorry I posted anything below your standard, it was meant for the thread starter

I like domes, and used them often, most of what you are saying makes no sense, like the big distance between the domes? well, they tried to put them as close as possible, they even cut out part of the lower dome
the nonsense about vertical response comes from mtm haters, while i build countless mtm speakers and found no issue whatsoever, especially listening tests confirm no issue
there is anormous amount of two domes speakers and mtm's and listening confirms no vertical issues
why did Dunlavy speakers got so much praise and good reviews?
just for fun, this is two/three dome 4 way speaker i built (recently replaced 5" dome, its not really a dome, its a normal woofer with cone shaped like dome, and its low efficiency, with betsy)
Hivi domes
I do not care what you think about it, it measures and sounds great

Last edited:
I have CBT arrays with good vertical response. I don't know all the ways it matters but it matters in one easily audible way: I hear the speakers at ear height whether I am sitting or standing.

My feeling is that if you want a crowd pleasing speaker for a family room/general purpose area then you benefit from vertical control. If you set up a defined listening area, e.g. home theater, then maybe it doesn't matter as much.

Crowd pleasing is not universally pleasing. Some people really like imaging. But if you're limited to two *normal* loudspeaker channels then imaging will always come at the expense of spaciousness. Which might be the reason preference for imaging correlates with preference for music style. People who like jazz might benefit from speakers designed to image.

The Beolab 90 is an *abnormal* loudspeaker that lets you switch between imaging and spaciousness. But then, why not just buy two different types of speakers for a lot less money and use the money you save to buy one of these....

DELTA SenseLab Rapid Speaker Spinner - YouTube

One thing that is not mentioned enough in these "best speaker" discussions is efficiency.

High efficiency not only allows you to get better volume from low powered amps, but it also just sounds better.

Low efficiency speakers basically compress the sound. In an age where music is already highly compressed, especially on streaming services, this makes a big difference.

I would take a 92db efficient speaker with a few bumps in frequency response over an 85db speaker that is dead flat in an instant. Well, I guess that is a bit generalized, as it also depends on where the bumps are and what the speaker actually sounds like.

Of course high efficiency typically comes along with LARGE. So in small bookshelf speakers it's a challenge, but there are still some that are more efficient than others.

The trend these days of powered speakers with DSP leaves the door open for manufacturers to do things. In some cases, class D plate amps and DSP costs less money than great speaker components and good design. So you build a marginal speaker and tweak it up to have a flat response using power and DSP. This generally leads to a very inefficient speaker. And of course also leads to that intangible sound that looks good on paper but doesn't actually sound that great.

Power and DSP can be a good thing, but really should be used to as much of a minimum as possible. Good components and good design always trump tweaking it up with DSP, in my opinion. But some times good components and good design have just a bit of something here or there that can be improved with DSP. Discretion is advised.

And all this contributes even more in today's world that you have to listen to the speakers. It's really really hard to tell if a speaker sounds good by looking at the graphs and specs. The graphs and specs are still good because you can definitely tell if a speaker sounds bad by looking at them! Just can't tell if it sounds good.

gabo

Last edited:
One thing that is not mentioned enough in these "best speaker" discussions is efficiency.

No- you mean "sensitivity". Sensitivity is the dB rating of a speaker related to the 2.83V spec, whereas "efficiency" is related to power input of 1W, and usually displayed as a percentage.

Speakers usually have terrible efficiency, as they are less than 1% efficient more often than not.

Later,
Wolf

The more I look at the Kairos, the more I don't like it. A speaker has to not only sound good but it must look good too.

The "Telegrapher Studio 20" is a three-way, active, near-field monitor, designed for critical mixing and mastering applications. This bookshelf speaker uses a cabinet with large radius edge rounds for low diffraction distortion, and ScanSpeak Illuminator 1"+4"+7" drivers.

Studio 20 - Telegrapher Loudspeakers

The Taipuu 4-way active speaker extends large edge rounds into a floor standing cabinet with ScanSpeak Illuminator drivers.

Taipuu Speakers - Taipuu Speakers

Attachments

• Telegrapher.JPG
    Telegrapher.JPG
    75.8 KB · Views: 323
  • TAIPUU Illuminator.jpg
    TAIPUU Illuminator.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 335
Reactions: 1 user
And what did Rodango get?

A pair of ProAc Super Tablettes.
Upon arrival, I discovered one tweeter was dead - open. So my choices were to get a new D2008 or take a walk on the Wild Side and swap both tweeters out for Hiquophone OW1s.

Reaction to my planning this was mixed with nobody authoritatively starting (predicting) the outcome..

But what a beautiful swap. My Super Tablettes sound fantastic now!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.