What's the best pair of bookshelf speakers for under $1000?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2005
Paid Member
Here's my vote:

If you want something special but want something small, or don't want to take up your living room with a large speaker, this is it!

Jeff Bagby's SB Acoustics Revolution Mini
SB Revolution Mini Be Loudspeaker Kit - Meniscus Audio

"The Revolution Mini-Monitor Be is Jeff’s assault on the state of the art, 7 liters, 13cm woofer mini-speaker -with 5″ Satori midbass, 29 mm Beryllium tweeter, and 5×9″ rear-mounted passive radiator. Acoustic 4th order crossover at 1800 Hz, with nearly perfect phase alignment. Extremely flat frequency response. Flat to 50 Hz and in-room measures down to 45 Hz before it starts to roll off. Sounds impressively bigger than it is. But the real kicker says Jeff – “I’ve been doing this a long time and these may be the best imaging speakers I have heard. It’s uncanny, almost three-dimensional.”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I can't say it any better.

The woofer cabinet is .26cu ft or about 7L and measures 8″ wide, 13″ High and 7.5″ deep (3/4″ material) Sensitivity is rated at 85dB"

(edit- images are turned 90 degrees or upside down ?):eek:

Attachments

• IMG_2867.jpg
    IMG_2867.jpg
    999 KB · Views: 326
  • IMG_2868.jpg
    IMG_2868.jpg
    996.5 KB · Views: 332
  • IMG_4040.jpg
    IMG_4040.jpg
    580.2 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2019
Rodango talked about Mundorf Evo Oil cap for the Proac Tablett

The Philharmonic doesn't enter in the price range.

I'm curious as Rodango has finally chosen a Proac Tablet but without the meaty tweeter ScanSpeak which is one of the reason of its good tones and global sound.

Although it's possible the OW1 sounds good in it without tweeter spl level modification : close sensivity of the OW & ScanSpeak?

Just for curioisty I will, in the shoes of Randango, buy a Proac unit an clean and re ferro fluid the old Proac tweeter... or just clean the old of the dry FF and remove the new one FF for it to sound the same for Left and Right speaker ! From what I remember from The Proac D15 I had, the low treble has a weight and flesh... that works well and it's non fatiguing listening (ears from my memory are no attracted with a hairy upper treble full of details like headphones give). Now the mid-woofer are totally different and the comparison stops here as well because the size.

As for the capacitor, iirc it was Solen, i.e. classic SCR, an EVO oil Mundorf will change the tonal equilibrium wished by the designer... for better or worse.
I would keep it as it is or perhaps try the Solen Tin Foil... but before to change caps if the adventure is going on : measure te uF values of the cap with a proper device (the less expensive capacimeters are 20/30 euros usd).

Colored but nice to live with loudspeaker imo. (now if me, I think the little two ways from Zaph with a Revelator time aligned or the Jeff Bagbys from above are surely going further in sound reproduction quality)

YMMV.

Last edited:
Here's my vote:

If you want something special but want something small, or don't want to take up your living room with a large speaker, this is it!

Jeff Bagby's SB Acoustics Revolution Mini
SB Revolution Mini Be Loudspeaker Kit - Meniscus Audio
):eek:

that looks really good...... the drivers look very high quality

Elac are excellent, and I like the new Wharfedale Denton.... my all time faves are Epos ES14 which I still use , but these are pretty old now, but still amazingly transparent yet with weight to the them....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.