What would be better: buying a cd player or building one with a transport?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
As said before but I'll repeat it again: you practically can't go wrong with any CDM1/4/9 machine. Some are ( much ) better than others but the MOST important criterium is the laserquality. You can buy the fanciest CD80 but when the laser is worn out you can only use it as a coffee-table. I'd buy the plastic cheapo with a perfect laser instead.

They're all old and they were used for years, you have to buy a spare for continuing with any CDM1/4/9 cdplayer. So obtain whatever comes in reach and thus prolong the life of the nicest example you have. There is no other way around it, you won't find new spare parts on every corner of the streets. A common mistake is to think that yours will last because an old granny used it only on sundays. They're like classic cars or motorcycles really, some parts are easily found, the most important are rare. Nevertheless you can have your lucky day and find new CDM1/4's. When you do, call me ;)

Even the cheapest type will give satisfaction AFTER you put some or more hours in it.

About the differences in the CD9xx series, that's up to you to discover. Again I will repeat what I posted some pages ago:

BTW, can you tell me something about the differences beween the 930/931/940/945/950/951?

No. You have enough information to decide.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
The ones you seldom find in a excellent condition... CD80, CD880, CD65-II etc. This is the last time I repeat myself.

Till, since you were the one that supplied the CDM4's to me ( nearly forgot that ! ) you can have the 670. Although it is free I want a fee for packaging + shipping costs which doesn't seem that strange to me. I have to pack it real good to prevent it from being damaged. I sent you a private mail already but you did not react. Please contact me per email.

OK jean paul, I'll never ask this question again ;)

since you're talking about packing, is there any kind of mechanism protection for shipping? I've seen this on my old sony cdp-101, on the chassis's bottom plate, there's a plastic piece you can rotate, that holds the optic head in place (it can't freely move anymore)
I don't know if my explanation is very usefull, if not, I'll take some pictures

Till: you you still have some spare cdm-4?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Philips CDM1/2/4 swingarms can be protected by means of transport screws. They are red plastic keylike screws.

Unfortunately they are missing most of the time. They are important because the lasers can travel freely during transport and thus they can be damaged when the screws are not being used.

jean-paul said:
Philips CDM1/2/4 swingarms can be protected by means of transport screws. They are red plastic keylike screws.

Unfortunately they are missing most of the time. They are important because the lasers can travel freely during transport and thus they can be damaged when the screws are not being used.

If I understand correctly, the player has to be opened to screw the laser?
That's not very easy.

My sony is nice for this. Too bad I didn't manage to repair it now, the mechanism is so good looking (heavilly build):nod:

I just bought a Philips CD-950 player for Eur $40,- with a remote control that hasn't been used, a neat case and documentation. A very good deal for a student like me.
If anyone has experience with modifying this player please let me know.

The only problem that this player has so far is that the wire to open the cd drawer is a very little bit to big. Maybe I will replace it some time. I opened the player to oil it a bit, just to be save the player is about ten years old right, but closed it a bit later when I saw it all looked good!

So far my short experience with the cd9xx.

Cheers,

LaZarus said:
I just bought a Philips CD-950 player for Eur $40,- with a remote control that hasn't been used, a neat case and documentation. A very good deal for a student like me.
If anyone has experience with modifying this player please let me know.

The only problem that this player has so far is that the wire to open the cd drawer is a very little bit to big. Maybe I will replace it some time. I opened the player to oil it a bit, just to be save the player is about ten years old right, but closed it a bit later when I saw it all looked good!

So far my short experience with the cd9xx.

Cheers,
where did you get it? That's a goooood price!

I recieved my Marantz CD62 today :)

I just tested it with my headphones (the gainclone is not working for the momment, waiting for it's new case to be finished)

Sounds good, plays CDRs, but no CDRW

I opened it, cleaned the lens with a stick of cotton, now it plays CDRW :)

I'll test it further tomorrow.
But for the momment I have a problem: the user manual tells that the volume +/- works for the headphone output, but it doesn't. The sound is very loud

Why don't you google for the pdf's. This might save you some time. Also this particular site contains lots of pdf downloads in older threads. Via www.marktplaats.nl I got two cd950's and a cd951 for 30,35 and 50 Euros (also a FA950, DCC900, FT930, FV930, FC931 and 4 DRC9430 MKII, 2 F9412 and the 900 series recordplayer for about 200 euro total). All spic and span. Since you're in the same timezone I can advise you to be on the lookout between 23.00 and ...well I don't know... 1.30 (keep a window open, check "nieuw"). That's how I did it. Took me about a month. By the way, I noticed that the Philips SACD1000 utilises two DAC7's (2x max20 bit resolution) as DAC. Maybe I'll try to conceive a cdm9/44 900 series based sacd clone. Looks a lot better lol.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.