What would be better: buying a cd player or building one with a transport?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jean-paul said:

Mmm, broad question. There will still be a difference but it will be smaller than before generally when you modify them equally. In fact I can't answer well on this question without specific details about what 2 cdplayers we're talking. In the case of older Philips cdplayers the boards and mechanisms are the same so modifying both won't give a difference at all between them.
Let's say the first is a CD42 (or CD52), and the second a CD72 (or any other comparaison you want: CD614/634, CD40/CD60)
To keep it short: 2 products from the same serie.

or CDM12 ?!??!? You know where sinners go, don't you ? Maybe I have material to convert you back again, give me some time to find out. When Bricolo doesn't want the CD670 you can pick it up.

Hey, I use CD Pro 2. Is this reason enough to send the swingarm CDP to me in case Bricolo doesn´t want it? I want a swingarm CDP, but everytime i look at ebay i can´t descide because of all this unknown numbers.... I even would take one that needs repair, i still have 3 CDM4/31 left.

till said:

Hey, I use CD Pro 2. Is this reason enough to send the swingarm CDP to me in case Bricolo doesn´t want it? I want a swingarm CDP, but everytime i look at ebay i can´t descide because of all this unknown numbers .... I even would take one that needs repair, i still have 3 CDM4/31 left.

Hi Till,

When I see an unknown player on ebay, I always look at this page
http://www.blackpudding.fsnet.co.uk/digital_jitter/philips_laser.htm
to see which mechanics it uses

but it seems that the informations aren't always correct, ie for jean-paul's CD670

The page says cdm4 for the 650 too, but maybe that's the cdm4 which is the dropin for the cdm2. cmd2 is standard. The replacement cdm4 is the one Till has.

Know about the 650's in germany, one is in aachen. Maybe.

I don't care that much which cdm is used in the player, as long as i get i2s out and can feed 11MHz clock in. This rules out 16MHz (newer) players and probably therefore cmd12 based players (like my marantz 63).

But since i reclock at the DAC, the cdm version should be unimportant (probably real life is different....). I'm not looking at
reading bad cd's etc. And i have a second hand cdm12.x collecting dust too (figurely speaking).

The 960 is much older than the other 9xx players. Just google for them and look at the pictures. So cdm1 could be true. cdm4 != cdm1, no dropin. The only dropin i know is that one model of cmd4 can replace cdm2, i have both but did not test.

I was busy making this new pcb for the 650 but it is only in the design phase. I had some issues with component values (see other post). I got impatient and skipped the idea (for now) and just put the dac in the 650. Instead of building the end result i want to get sound first and then start improving (output, ps, etc). Otherwise it remains an unfinished project..

Guido

guido said:
The page says cdm4 for the 650 too, but maybe that's the cdm4 which is the dropin for the cdm2. cmd2 is standard. The replacement cdm4 is the one Till has.

Know about the 650's in germany, one is in aachen. Maybe.

I don't care that much which cdm is used in the player, as long as i get i2s out and can feed 11MHz clock in. This rules out 16MHz (newer) players and probably therefore cmd12 based players (like my marantz 63).

But since i reclock at the DAC, the cdm version should be unimportant (probably real life is different....). I'm not looking at
reading bad cd's etc. And i have a second hand cdm12.x collecting dust too (figurely speaking).

The 960 is much older than the other 9xx players. Just google for them and look at the pictures. So cdm1 could be true. cdm4 != cdm1, no dropin. The only dropin i know is that one model of cmd4 can replace cdm2, i have both but did not test.

I was busy making this new pcb for the 650 but it is only in the design phase. I had some issues with component values (see other post). I got impatient and skipped the idea (for now) and just put the dac in the 650. Instead of building the end result i want to get sound first and then start improving (output, ps, etc). Otherwise it remains an unfinished project..

Guido
I think jean-paul has an early version of the CD670, while the website I mentionned has looked in a leter version and saw a CDM4 in it.
As jean-paul did say, the first ones used CDM-2, the last ones the CDM-4

BTW, why do you only want 11Mhz clock? Are those better? Or is it because you have a reclocking circuit that works at 11Mhz and don't want to change it?

jean-paul said:
Maybe you can ask details about all cdplayers that are on the market in one post ! :D

nooooo

all the cdm1/4/9 based ones will be enough... for the momment ;)

jean paul, coule you just tell me (if you know) how is the CD-940 compares to the CD-930 and CD-931 (I mean, higher end, lower end, newer, older)

the pictires from the CD-940 look very similar to the CD-931's, except some changes:
the 940 has a numeric keypad
but it hasn't a plug for the ac inlet (the cable is fixed to the player), and no ac voltage selection switch

except this, the pcb looks to be exactly the same

BTW, you said the CD-951 was a better choice, don't it has a crappy pcb? no ground loops like the 931?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.