What would be better: buying a cd player or building one with a transport?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
jean-paul said:
Come on, not a new thread. Find one and discover yourself if it is OK.

Just do it.

I realize I must be annoying you (and others) with all my questions.
But as I'm new is this hobby, I'm not as experimented as you are. So if you tell me that one isn't good, I want to learn and know why.
I don't know if now, I'm skilled enough to discover myself if one is good designed or not.
And I haven't planned to buy many cd players, especially not 75$ ones just for the laser. I'm a student, and a 200$ player (+modifications) is a lot of money for me. That's why I'd like to start with a player that is already good, and begin with small and inexpensive modifications, just for the fun of doing thinks myself.

So, if you are still wanting to help me, I'd like to have some informations about the 9** players

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Bricolo said:

I realize I must be annoying you (and others) with all my questions.
But as I'm new is this hobby, I'm not as experimented as you are. So if you tell me that one isn't good, I want to learn and know why.
I don't know if now, I'm skilled enough to discover myself if one is good designed or not.
And I haven't planned to buy many cd players, especially not 75$ ones just for the laser. I'm a student, and a 200$ player (+modifications) is a lot of money for me. That's why I'd like to start with a player that is already good, and begin with small and inexpensive modifications, just for the fun of doing thinks myself.

So, if you are still wanting to help me, I'd like to have some informations about the 9** players

No problem but you got enough hints IMO. Skip the 9xx series as they are wanted by a lot of people. Too high prices and crappy board-layouts if you ask me. Find a CDM4 player for a lot less money and work on it. I wouldn't advise CD960 as the lasers are very old now and finding a decent one will be a hassle.

Plan to buy a few for low prices as you'll do yourself a favor when it fails ( by modding or worn laser etc. ) It won't break the bank, although I see that prices have risen probably because the "news" got around that they can be good. I am guilty as well for that, can't find them myself anymore for good prices ;) They all can give good results, some more than others. I think you should be glad when you find a decent one ( whatever type ) with a swingarm mechanism at all. Don't bother that much about if they are real good in original state. They aren't most of the time, they need work to let them shine.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Bricolo

You know what, I have a "wrong" type in my collection. It is an old 1987 black CD670 with CDM2 mechanics. Laser is good and it is in good condition, some small scratches. It has TDA1541 ( without A ) and SAA7220P/A. If you want it you can have it for shipping + packaging costs. Send me a mail via the moderator if you want it. Could be a nice start in the DIY world. I am not saying that this is a perfect cdplayer but it has some qualities...

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
No no, not tired of just Bricolo's questions ( maybe just a tad ;) ), only tired of giving the same info again and again in various threads. And it is better to experience things than to ask others that gathered that info through the years. There is a Search function that could answer many questions but few people seem to use it. Well, it is too hot to solder anyway. Please continue asking if you like.

It's a hobby, keeps you busy..

Also have a 650 for transport / i2s supply and even got that cdm4 replacment unit (NOS). It was sold here in the trading section i think. But now i killed my 650, think one of the microprocessors is dead (3 inside). Now looking for a new one on ebay, maybe if i am lucky.. They were sold back in the philips stores when they first came out, so around here (south of holland) there are quite a few around.

Like i said, keeps you busy :->

Also have a cdm3 lying around, anyone with a broken
micromega trio mk1, meta research layer1, Studer A730 or
Krell MD10 (best ever transport?) on the forum ;->
Still keeping my hopes up. The cdm3 has half hour milage on it,
came from an DIGITAL CD-rom unit. Like i said, i'm still hoping, so not selling.

Guess this post is a bit pointless,
sorry

GuidoB

Well........................

First i decided to put it outside a cdplayer, use some high speed busdrivers to pass i2s and clock. Test (clock 11MHz was ok).

Then i descoped (learn all about that at work.., :->) and said, i'll use the 650. Not so much space inside, so i thought of changing the main pcb by something smaller with SAA7310, PS and controller (see puzzled post).

So i desided not to wait any longer and put the pcb in and connected all. Got sound (using eringa cd40 filter)! Great for
a start. But an old problem popped up: bad connection between main pcb and display pcb's.

So i had a look at that and replaced a connection according to service manual (last page there is an overview of all connections).
Well the service manual was wrong (!) so gnd +5 and two signal lines between display and decoding microcontroller got mixed up.
Result: dead player....

So i need a new donor, maybe i can get a new 650 (like i said, common around here) or something for a cdm4/21 is have around or cdm12.

And i am hoping for that dead krell nobody can repair but me :->
Or the studer: studio equipment with i2s and clock connections from the factory. And even tda1541A S1 inside. Whichfull thinking..

Sorry for this polution, nee to go to bed, i know.

GuidoB

fedde: i found a topic on audioasylum about the CD960, telling that it uses a CDM-1. It this true? (that's strange, CD930 to 951 use the CDM-9)
If it's true, yes, that explains the problem about the laser replacement ;)
But isn't the CDM-4 a drop in replacement for the CDM-1?

jean-paul: "Skip the 9xx series" :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:
You told me once that the CDM-9 is good, and was the latest update of the CDM-1/4/9 series. Also that the CD-9** players use it. So I started looking for CD-9** players.
I also googled for infos about those players, and I liked the few things I found.
-They have a big chassis, with lot of place for modifications and aditionnal boards.
-They use the CDM-9
-They look good, and not oldish (yes, this is a good point IMO, even if it's not critical. The other "old" player I like is the marantz CD72)
-The boards (even if they are crap) seem easy to work with (explanations written on it, like "PS","SERVO","DAC"...)
that's quite normal that they are wanted by many people (including me :D)

For the price, I haven't found anything in France for the momment (I made a lot of phone calls yesterday, to hifi stores. And the only thing I've found with an old philips mechanism was a marantz CD80, for 450€)
So, I looked on the internet. I've found some CD930,931 and 940 for 90€. Is this a good price? Or a CD951 for 195€. And they all come from your beautifull country ;)
One of the sellers was even kind enough to take some pictures of his CD940: http://huizen.dds.nl/~friwo/philipscd940/

"Don't bother that much about if they are real good in original state. They aren't most of the time, they need work to let them shine."
That reminds me a question I had in mind: take 2 cd players with the same mechanism, one high end, one low end. After lots of mods (PS, clock, dac, IV ...) (the same mods), will there still be a difference?

Praudio: I don't know what you call good price, but the rotel and quad I've seen were at 300 and 400€
I remember having seen a 650 on ebay for cheap (<50€)

jean-paul: thank you for the offer, can I tell you my answear in a few days? (during this period, I'll also continue to search infos about the cd9** (yes, I like them! :D))
And I use the search function a lot! Even if I seem to ask many stupid questions, I search before asking. But sometimes it seems that nobody has asked the same stupid question as mine before, so I ask myself ;)

guido said:
Well........................

First i decided to put it outside a cdplayer, use some high speed busdrivers to pass i2s and clock. Test (clock 11MHz was ok).

Then i descoped (learn all about that at work.., :->) and said, i'll use the 650. Not so much space inside, so i thought of changing the main pcb by something smaller with SAA7310, PS and controller (see puzzled post).

So i desided not to wait any longer and put the pcb in and connected all. Got sound (using eringa cd40 filter)! Great for
a start. But an old problem popped up: bad connection between main pcb and display pcb's.

So i had a look at that and replaced a connection according to service manual (last page there is an overview of all connections).
Well the service manual was wrong (!) so gnd +5 and two signal lines between display and decoding microcontroller got mixed up.
Result: dead player....

So i need a new donor, maybe i can get a new 650 (like i said, common around here) or something for a cdm4/21 is have around or cdm12.

And i am hoping for that dead krell nobody can repair but me :->
Or the studer: studio equipment with i2s and clock connections from the factory. And even tda1541A S1 inside. Whichfull thinking..

Sorry for this polution, nee to go to bed, i know.

GuidoB

No problem for the polution, interesting posts are welcome ;)

I don't know where you live, but ebay.de has at least 3 CD650 for sale now. One is at 25€ for the momment (1 day left, I think), and tha 2 others are at 1€, but with some days left.

If I understood everything correctly, you made a new pcb for your cd player? is it difficult to do?

Good luck for your krell!

Disabled Account
Joined 2002

or CDM12 ?!??!? :yikes: You know where sinners go, don't you ? :devilr: Maybe I have material to convert you back again, give me some time to find out. When Bricolo doesn't want the CD670 you can pick it up.

You told me once that the CDM-9 is good, and was the latest update of the CDM-1/4/9 series. Also that the CD-9** players use it. So I started looking for CD-9** players.
I also googled for infos about those players, and I liked the few things I found.
-They have a big chassis, with lot of place for modifications and aditionnal boards.
-They use the CDM-9
-They look good, and not oldish (yes, this is a good point IMO, even if it's not critical. The other "old" player I like is the marantz CD72)
-The boards (even if they are crap) seem easy to work with (explanations written on it, like "PS","SERVO","DAC"...)
that's quite normal that they are wanted by many people (including me )

You have a point there. Some points actually. But CDM9 alone doesn't make a good cdplayer. I mentioned them for using CDM9, better hadn't mentioned them at all. They contribute to my stock of CDM9 replacement mechanics, they're perfect donors :p
That wasn't meant seriously, wish I had some more spares. They are OK, no more no less. BTW the best cdplayers I hear most of the time look oldish and have scratches while the perfect looking machines sound worse. Beauty comes from inside doesn't it ? ;)

Realise that 9xx series need a lot of work including reworking groundlayout and they have the orange gear and the disc-clamp as spoken of before. Unfortunately you're right about the crappy boards, they tend to peel off easily. Reasons enough for me to sell mine. I like the Arcam much better.

That reminds me a question I had in mind: take 2 cd players with the same mechanism, one high end, one low end. After lots of mods (PS, clock, dac, IV ...) (the same mods), will there still be a difference?

Mmm, broad question. There will still be a difference but it will be smaller than before generally when you modify them equally. In fact I can't answer well on this question without specific details about what 2 cdplayers we're talking. In the case of older Philips cdplayers the boards and mechanisms are the same so modifying both won't give a difference at all between them.

jean-paul said:

or CDM12 ?!??!? :yikes: You know where sinners go, don't you ? :devilr: Maybe I have material to convert you back again, give me some time to find out. When Bricolo doesn't want the CD670 you can pick it up.

You have a point there. Some points actually. But CDM9 alone doesn't make a good cdplayer. I mentioned them for using CDM9, better hadn't mentioned them at all. They contribute to my stock of CDM9 replacement mechanics, they're perfect donors :p
That wasn't meant seriously, wish I had some more spares. They are OK, no more no less. BTW the best cdplayers I hear most of the time look oldish and have scratches while the perfect looking machines sound worse. Beauty comes from inside doesn't it ? ;)

Realise that 9xx series need a lot of work including reworking groundlayout and they have the orange gear and the disc-clamp as spoken of before. Unfortunately you're right about the crappy boards, they tend to peel off easily. Reasons enough for me to sell mine. I like the Arcam much better.

Does the CD670 use a CDM-2?
http://www.blackpudding.fsnet.co.uk/digital_jitter/philips_laser.htm tells that it uses a CDM-4 :confused:

As for the 9xx series themselves, what else do they need after reworking groundlayout?
You gave me the ref number for the disc clamp, that's ok. If the orange gear (is this one only on philips players, or on all cdm-9 based players?) breaks, I think I'll try to build one myself in metal. But in all cases, I'll grease it correctly before it breaks

I'll try to mail capslock, to see if he can show me the changes he has made to his CD931 about grounding.

BTW, can you tell me something about the differences beween the 930/931/940/945/950/951?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.