What will the next breakthrough in Audio be?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
We shall soon have new generation cutting lathes and presses. It will be interesting to see how good they are. My instinct is they will be less good as it will be a lost art in part.
sir,
probably the future will be cutting a vinyl first in a virtual simulation in computer to achieve excellent wide excursions to loudness ratio. Achieve proper groove specifications. Then Laser cut the master OR remove the pressing of vinyl material step all together. Just use laser to make grooves in the vinyl. This way one can remove the one step of pressing process for more fidelity.

I agree with lost art of vinyl cutting and I respect those engineers and cutters whose skill and hard work we still enjoy today.

Regards.

Joined 2016
Paid Member
sir,
probably the future will be cutting a vinyl first in a virtual simulation in computer to achieve excellent wide excursions to loudness ratio. Achieve proper groove specifications. Then Laser cut the master OR remove the pressing of vinyl material step all together. Just use laser to make grooves in the vinyl. This way one can remove the one step of pressing process for more fidelity.

Virtual vinyl? Now there's an idea with legs.
Now, where's my muffin....

I cannot for the life of me understand why there is such a renewed interest in vinyl, is it from those that missed it first time around?
Personally, I found playing records a real chore, more time spent jumping up and down, cleaning and flipping than actually listening to music.
I'm gradually converting my cds to mp3s and transferring them to a tablet and listening via bluetooth, for me, just perfect.
I would think vinyl is a step back rather than "what would the next breakthrough in audio be"?
Could the vinyl resurgence be generated by the industry, vinyl is very difficult to copy?
Back in the UK last year while donating some effects to a local charity shop I picked up a 60 cd boxed set of Beethoven's Complete Masterpieces for a fiver. What would be the chances of being able to achieve this in vinyl?

It's like a motorcycle. It makes no sense except it is about wanting it. It also can sound remarkably good. Alas vinyl is the new thing in audio. As someone who knows analogue mastertapes most have no idea how good hi fi could sound. And live feed which alas is often analogue ( irony if you need it said ) has a habbit of making digital sound less than it should when compared.

We shall soon have new generation cutting lathes and presses. It will be interesting to see how good they are. My instinct is they will be less good as it will be a lost art in part.
I also suspect they will be less good, largely because the remaining ones are being used at full capacity (I leard something like a six month wait to get a recording cut on a lathe) and there's great pressure to make a new one that works and ship it ASAP while there's still money to be made. The LP "fad" has been growing for a few years now, but no one knows how much longer it will last.

I cannot for the life of me understand why there is such a renewed interest in vinyl, is it from those that missed it first time around?
Oh, you mean "vinyls" as the young'uns call them nowadays.
Personally, I found playing records a real chore, more time spent jumping up and down, cleaning and flipping than actually listening to music.
Me too, and for years I've wanted to make an automatic record cleaning machine, maybe something like a Keith Monks. I clean "manually" which I'm not happy with, and that's why I don't often play LPs. My collection numbers somewhere in 4 digits, so I need to hurry up if I'm going to listen to it all within my lifetime.
I would think vinyl is a step back rather than "what would the next breakthrough in audio be"?
Could the vinyl resurgence be generated by the industry, vinyl is very difficult to copy?
I remember the 1970s when the "problem" with copying records was the high cost of good quality cassette tapes. Now it's seen as the time of playing each record in real time! I suppose the main "problem" with copying is people don't know how to find the "tape out" on their stereo and that they can plug it into the line in on their computer. But this gets fixed with *cringe* USB turntables.

I can just about hear some young person say "I recorded an old vinyl to thumb drive to play in my car, but it doesn't work well because the volume level changes too much." All such a person needs is a cheap compressor circuit to make them happy.
Back in the UK last year while donating some effects to a local charity shop I picked up a 60 cd boxed set of Beethoven's Complete Masterpieces for a fiver. What would be the chances of being able to achieve this in vinyl?
With the current state of the market I'm sure it's virtually zero, but who knows what the market will look like in ten years.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.