What will the next breakthrough in Audio be?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Been done. Recent Dylan set 'the cutting edge' gives you the 4 tracks so you can re-mix 'like a rolling stone'. Unlikely to catch on sadly.
Yeah, four stereo tracks/stems would do the job well enough and ought to be doable nowadays.
I can imagine DJ's, car stereo boys etc getting right into this if it were available and easy to use...touch screen mixer with eq/pan/effects on each stereo stem would work.
Embedded mix/effects presets could include cd release/radio release etc plus other mixes from the artist or 'famous' DJ's etc.

More than four stems would be more fun....extra tracks and presets could be downloaded from other sources including public contributions.

Dan.

I often thought that Dan. I was told the Beatles as is not too keen. Just to have the vocals would be something. With Michael Gerzon recordings it is possible. That was the whole point. It's not like redoing the music. More like refocusing. Michael was not interesting in making a sound. More like capturing one whilst knowing we all have tastes, albeit it wrong sometimes.
There has been a series on tv showing mixdown of classic albums.
Beatles four track might get boring....eg Pink Floyd multitrack would be fun to play with at home...some kind of sofa/coffee table virtual mixing desk, or laser pointer controller or something.
Could also mute vocals for the ultimate in Karaoke lol.

Dan.

Well recorded is available, streaming is available, just not necessarily in the genre you might want. I personally do not like streaming as I like to own my music rather than support DRM with my listening but YMMV.

I suppose there will always be music you can buy on physical media but, we've seen that is will be less common in the future. It's OK with me, why own it when it is available (almost) instantly by stream? I sometimes watch movies on Netflix that I own on DVD. It's so easy and sometimes even better quality. If the same happens with music, so be it. Hmmm, I wonder if Netflix has considered adding music?

There has been a series on tv showing mixdown of classic albums.
Beatles four track might get boring....eg Pink Floyd multitrack would be fun to play with at home...some kind of sofa/coffee table virtual mixing desk, or laser pointer controller or something.
Could also mute vocals for the ultimate in Karaoke lol.

Dan.

Hi Dan. I was looking up my old house at 17 High Street Upper Heyford Oxon. Turns out next house down from our block was Pink Floyds for a while. Strange no one said or the estate agent has a powerful imagination. Beatles Love Album on LP shows how remixing and recutting can change the whole picture.

Hi Dan. I was looking up my old house at 17 High Street Upper Heyford Oxon. Turns out next house down from our block was Pink Floyds for a while. Strange no one said or the estate agent has a powerful imagination. Beatles Love Album on LP shows how remixing and recutting can change the whole picture.
I looked it up too..... thanks to Google Maps I understand it is now the The Anne Measures Colonic Hydrotherapy Clinic lol.

I looked up about the Love album also...sounds interesting maybe.

Dan.

Correct Dan. I sold it to the Bishop of Oxfords son Harry and he sold it to her. It is the world that persues me. Officially I don't bother with DIY Audio now. I got bored and thought this a harmless thread. Doubtless I will be proved wrong. It was thatched cottage ( an is ). Harry was a missionary in Africa. When he told them it was thatched they asked if his friends helped him build it. he was really touched by that and me. I was there most with the Yanks from the USAF ( 83 to 92 ). Time of my life and I learnt to love them, we don't meet the real people in Oxford. My Austrailian dealers also a great bunch who seem to like my eccentricity almost as if it is required. My boss left the Aussies to me and went home last time they came, that never happens as he is a control whatsit. They ask very technical questions and share ideas. I really like that. Not the same as the Brits thank goodness. Sorry guys it's true. The Brits are a misserable bunch sometimes and a bit mean.The talk profit margines which the call points. Not our Yorkshire guy, he is top notch. Many of my better ideas came from a 4th generation Ausssie Martin Renwick from Sidney. He had a very bad cycle crash and doesn't remember all the experiments we did. He held records in cycle races around Sidney and now makes bikes. LP12 Nait and Rega ( Royd ) Ela's he still owns that we put together when he left UK. He sold what was at the time the most expensive Naim system about the same time.

Telling the truth is being able to report good of something someone else did for example. It's becoming rare that level of professionalism exists. A BBC engineer whilst not without bias would attempt that. My dear friend Janine Elliot for example. I don't always agree with her, I never question her professionalism or truthfullness. She is an engineer although seldom mentions it when reviewing.

What do you mean it works outside of Canada, the link, or the content? ;)

I'm less than halfway through that video, but it reminds me of this documentary on James Randi (it's harder to fool magicians!), "An Honest Liar." I'd seen a lot of video of Randi, but that movie was still well worth the time to see. Here's the two-minute trailer ending in Dramatic Words:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9ZWaS_FjNU

Unfortunately, the knowledge of this "breakthrough" has yet to reach audio consumers, and is unlikely to do so in the foreseeable future.

We shall soon have new generation cutting lathes and presses. It will be interesting to see how good they are. My instinct is they will be less good as it will be a lost art in part. To a certain extent the audio devices of the future is a collection of audio sources that are good enough to show the music and not the electronic errors. The iPhone is good enough, my cheap Nokia almost better. TV sound as from a PVR also. My only doubt is CD which is possibly less good than my phone although perfectly usable. My CD player is not a low grade job.

I recently designed a new valve. I will say more if it ever gets to market. It is a indirectly heated triode with high Mu. I won't get a penny for doing it. Just I don't die with the idea in my head. It's totally logical in it's concept and should have been made years ago.

Truth. I had a minor difference of opinion with my ex BBC friend. She was taking to task a speaker by Russ Kaufmann ex of Moral. I have known Russ since before I had children which is 32 years plus. Russ always prefered a non BBC sollution to crossover design. An interesting thing happened. The Russ speakers sounded fine except they have a box. The very expensive BBC LS5/9 were what I remembered of the BBC school of sound. Two drive units connected by a recessed midband. Twenty minutes later I trained my mind to like them again and could not hear the problem. Very weird. That's what we must never overlook. The truth is highly dependant on fatigue effects etcetera. It is almost impossible to quantify that. When listening to the LS5/9 the Krell amp played up due to a loose cable braid. We went over to a Leak Stereo 20 with EL 84 valves. The Leak is more like a transistor amp in being a high feedback design. A very correct amplifier on all counts. Sorry to say it was simply better. Janine says that never gets into reviews as she knows no one wants to know that. Janine I understand that completely. Russ, I did my best to teach her your ways, alas the BBC training won't let it be said. At least she is honest to her musical training ( BA in Music ). I think I am an honest advocate of all ideas. I will always say where I sit on the fence if asked, it always is on the fence if honest. I suspect I prefer vinyl as it is far better than it should be. Janine never uses vinyl in her tests as she can not be sure it is day to day the same. She loves vinyl it should be said. The vinyl is used after the main tests.

Graham Audio LS5/9 Loudspeaker Review | Hifi Pig

I just read the review. She hears the phase shift as a peak ( true if looking )!!!!!! The overly spacious sound, not so much. I told Janine about a speaker I helped design crossed at 7 kHz. She thought it very interesting. As it is a first order crossover it ( x two ) " almost " can work. That is the energy of both drivers is still high at 3.5 kHz and disspersion still reasonable. I would have loved Janine to help me with that. I don't think she ever would have been able to like it, the friend I helped steadfastly didn't want that help ( yikes ). All the same she would have tamed it. The big question is wheather to have the ribbon tweeter in or out of phase in simplistic terms, that is the common wire connected how? At 7kHz it shouldn't matter. Oh yes if 4th order that's true and assuming the bass unit cum mid can do it ( Jordan if 4 th ? ). The tweeter has no LF resonance on the graphs and 3 kHz second order recomended. Only reason to use a crossover is protecting it from burn out. The bass unit also might need no crossover as the paper cone designed not to need it. In the end it was to allow integration of units. The design has progressed to a 7 litre box. I almost like them now. I had to gently roll the tweeter at 22kHz to retain the speed, but prevent the full output at 50 kHz. This was to allow less good sources to sound OK. This trick I took from the Celestion SL6. It has a notch filter. Mine 1st order again. Since doing that changed to 25 kHz. SL6 a bargain secondhand and I prefer that version over the metal box ones.

The big leap forward in audio might be more reliable testing. I can't see it happening. We have a very poor substitute in the " I know of no defect " testing ( or worse, I see this therefore it's bad ). That's like saying this food is good for you. No way would I pay much for food or audio that doesn't ask me to want more.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.