What does YOUR computer spot look like?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Circlotron said:
Note my HP/Sony 21 inch fixed frequency monitor, I got 2 for $10. :D Can't see boot screens though, it will only run at 1024x768x60Hz.

These are from an era when monitors had real build quality. Average lifespan is 12-15 years (they are circa 1987-88). I have processed (ie recycled) 5 of the 16" brethern to those. They have all sorts of useful heat sinks and caps in them. And the aluminum RFI shields stack nicely to make a shelving unit.

dave

A quick post of my temporary bedroom/office, my girlf thinks its untidy, I call it a home :cheerful:

Because of a move to Oxford, I have slimmed down to just 1 badass computer, seems to be stable (2.5ghz), but it still is like putting all your eggs in one basket.

No current sitting/listening room at the moment, so all the good subs, ampz and 'speakers are in storage can't wait till i have time/space to dig them out (only another year).

I have stopped posting for a while 'cos of heavy involment in a programming project for work and some house DIY, some guys helping me with my house refit call me 'lightning' when i get the hammer out! :smash:

I never strike twice in the same place!

Attachments

• 373-7304_img.jpg
    373-7304_img.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 970
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The picture is a little out of date (and my camera is out for a couple days). One of the 19s has been replaced by a 22" and i gave the PowerBook to a friends daughter for university, ChrisB built me a proper hutch and the PowerMac G4/450/1.25 GB RAM/100 GB Disk is under the desk. The old B&W Centris (100 MHz '040) is used exclusivly for running Trapeze -- still no spreadsheet out there that can touch it, even thou the last release was 1988 (it is faster on that '040 machine than Excel is on my G4!) ... the speakers are gone too. Don't really need them with the main hifi in the same room.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
UrSv said:
Planet10, are the small black speakers DIY or ready-made?

2 sets of Monsoon MM-700s setup to run stereo woofers. These are push-pull magnetostats, based on Ed Thingpen's patents, designed in Victoria, for a company in Burnaby and manufactured in thr Far East. They ar pretty good (best computer speakers i've heard. I have a friend who has for a hifi, a set of the MM1000s (larger sub) driven throu the included "passive-pre" by a higher-end Arcam CD player. It is quite remarkable.

dave

Peter Daniel said:
UrSv,

The speakers are Focal Ti90 and 7V513. Very nice sounding combo and pretty efficient. Wardrobe acts as a cabinet.

The thing on a PC is a special damping block which makes my CD copies sound better.;)

Thought it was Focal..

I bet it is. And having seen your other things in the CD-PRO2 thread it is probably a Cobalt/Bitumen/Marble/Kapton/Aluminium sandwich right? :yes:

And, oh yes I recognize the IKEA racks...

/UrSv

This is the computer corner in my dorm room.

From the left:

DIY nearly finished speakers, 21" monitor, 2 Agfa external SCSI discs, open computer cabinet, Roland Midi keyboard, telephone, HP laserjet.

On the computer table:

A lot of burned CD's, mandatory cola can, HP 48GX calculator, schematic for my mini-A and Dave Brubeck CD.

Attachments

• dscn0442.jpg
    dscn0442.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 876
Retired diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2002
JasonL said:
Planet 10 id like to see your tower: O ) i like the dual monitors though..

Here is a pic of what im getting YEAH!!1 ( after xmas though )

what is with those ugly buttons under the drive bays? My friend got a dual g4 a couple of months ago, and I don't recall it having those hideous buttons. Are they standard buttons?

My friend bought a dual g4, put a 120gb hard drive it, 1.5gb of ram in it, and all he does with it is download mp3s, watch divx movies and browse the web... I don't get it.

--
Brian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.