What difference does the quality of a digital interconnect make?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Guys, I do follow this thread with attention.
My interest is the same as yours, I am just least experienced in this thread and cannot comment much.
My part of the problem is to establish whether my cheap rca's from China bad enough and if yes should I change them to something better, or even BNC type of connection.
On the other thread I started quick consensus was not to bother to change em and stick to rca.
(if it is considered OT please disregard my question).

AgO has a resistivity of 10 ohm cm. Copper has a resistivity of 1.7x10^-7. Ideal situation or not, you're incorrect by a factor of 100,000,000 or so.

narrow minded approach, again... so my last reply to you.

silver oxide in isolated test conditions - yes. we are discussing silver oxide as a deterioration factor related to an actual silver cable compared to a copper cable and copper oxide.

Last edited:
yes. we are discussing silver oxide as a deterioration factor related to an actual silver cable compared to a copper cable and copper oxide.

That's not what you said. Here is your entire post, word for word:

sure, in ideal situation...

even silver oxide is a better conductor than copper

have you ever tried silver in an audio chain?

Boky

On the other thread I started quick consensus was not to bother to change em and stick to rca.

It's a reasonable consensus unless you're selling fancy connectors and wires to the gullible or you just have to have bling to feel good. For those of us who just care about having our hifi systems work properly, the RCA connector (assuming a half-decent one- plastic insulator, good contacts) will do fine.

Thank you, SY
I never paid attention to my interconnects which I have acquired from ebay impulse purchase and used since. Now I hold then in my hands and it is apparently van damme black (268 011) cable with Rean NYS373-2.
If to remain within philosophy of sensible engineering it should be enough for any system ?
I ll probably try to do my own interconnects (and feed the curiosity) with something like canare + belden just to try how is it to do own cables...

do you know what material is exclusively used for:

1. interconnections
2. power, interstage & output autotransformer windings
3. all switching contacts, viper tips

inside the most expensive audio gear (that includes CD Players and DAC's) available?

Boky
Nope, but I do know what goes into a lot of military/aerospace and medical products where failure is not an option (life/mission critical) and where the required analogue resolution can be very taxing, never mind all the other design criteria you have to work to.
So the silver is just to please the audiophile audience, there are no electrical parameters that can improve the signal.
You design is not revolutionary, it shows broadside coupled signals, this is a technique that has been used for years, both on PCBs and flexible cables.
Again digital signal transmission is a discipline of its own, do not mix it up with analogue signal transmission, you have different problems and different solutions.

Nope, but I do know what goes into a lot of military/aerospace and medical products where failure is not an option (life/mission critical) and where the required analogue resolution can be very taxing, never mind all the other design criteria you have to work to.
So the silver is just to please the audiophile audience, there are no electrical parameters that can improve the signal.
You design is not revolutionary, it shows broadside coupled signals, this is a technique that has been used for years, both on PCBs and flexible cables.
Again digital signal transmission is a discipline of its own, do not mix it up with analogue signal transmission, you have different problems and different solutions.

no, not to please. Give it a go... as a mentioned, all that is required to show what silver does to the sound is 10cm length as a replacement for the multi-litz copper cable used in your amp / pre-amp.... this has nothing to do with reliability / MTBF / MTTF

I had pleasure of listening to a vast variety of HiFi set-ups, few of truly High End calibre; even more owned by technical people, well educated, stubborn as well. Nothing wrong with that. They also happened to love HiFi. I like to play little game with them. It all starts when I suggest a different power cable, for example. The most common response and comments I hear from them is that power cable can not make any difference. How could it? It just brings the mains potential inside a component (CD player, for example). Then I make suggestion and offer a quick test. We start with pure copper, solid core. Then we move to copper, solid core - but silver plated, then same cable - but silver and then gold plated. Then we move to silver stuff... Same story: solid core silver cable (round cross-section)... gold plated, and then pure silver ribbons - annealed. In < 15 min I have created a convert, who never looks back at the standard multi lizt copper power cables again - and that's for life. Not bad result bearing in mind that I had a complete unbeliever just 15 min ago. Same applies to interconnects, speaker cables, S/PDIF cables (but these do need special attention!)

It is, I think, significant at spdif frequencies, but it's irrelevant. Plain 75 ohm coax works sufficiently well for high sensitivity VHF applications, so spdif is a no-brainer.

As usual, those selling the bling provide no evidence of any relevant performance advantage, but that's the high end wire business for you.

it is reasonably significant, but as I said is not relevant. We did discuss this in depth with JN on another thread (cant remember which), but skin effect is less relevant in round conductors than it is on rectangular, often due to the ground proximity effect. For the purposes of this discussion though, skin effect will have no bearing on the signal transmitted.
I would still like to know (apart from your earlier comments) why silver has this myth of superior sound reproduction where ever it is used.........

it is relevant even at audio frequencies, and it can be capitalised on with a correct multi-run analogue interconnect cable construction

the silver is not that expensive at all... but once implemented in a cable -> it can be sold at enormous price because it makes unbelievable difference.

once again, all that is needed to become a believer is 10cm - long piece of sliver wire, and an open mind (ouch, not that's hard, isn't it?)

Skin effect, not relevant at audio frequencies...plent of discussion out there regarding this, myth.
Why is silver better than copper, again no evidence only hear say...
How is cross section and shape going to effect the sound?
Do you actually know how a.c. signals travel down a wire, this all sound Audiophile myths based to sell an overpriced/under engineered part, of which there are plenty off in the esoteric end of audio.
All you need now is some cryogenic and quantum treatment and your on to a killer, even audio RCA's can break the rules of physics and be a 75ohm connector.

Extreme_Boky said:
No, you are wrong because you believe everything you read. With the right choice of dielectric it is possible to have RCA at 75 ohms + with the right manufacturing process all reflections due to unnecessary soldering / crimping and similar, can be omitted completely.
Complete nonsense.

You can only dream to be able to get the opportunity to listen to such cable, let alone afford it
In your dreams!

the whole cable is of 75 ohm impedance; that includes the RCA connectors at both ends.
As I said (and Canare agrees): not possible. You would need a wideband negative index material to get a 75 ohm RCA. There are no wideband negative index materials.

LuisMCP said:
Then, Canare 75 ohm RCA plugs and sockets are fakes?
I think if you read what they say themselves, you will see that they make no claim that the connection is 75R but merely that they maintain 75R right up the unavoidable impedance discontinuity at the connection.

Silver is fine for making jewellery - even 200W per channel 'high-end' audio jewellery. Nothing to do with sound quality. As I have said before, the best way to sell snake oil is when the seller believes in it himself. Then he doesn't have to fake his advocacy and he doesn't have to feel guilty about ripping people off.

Audio interconnects and digital interconnects are such different beasts operating under such different conditions that there is no reason why a technique which works for one would work for the other. Provided they are short, they are both uncritical (within reasonable bounds, exceeded only by daft DIY cables). There is no electrical reason why silver/teflon should be better for both, but there is an electrical reason why it might be worse (especially for digital)!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.