What difference does the quality of a digital interconnect make?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
well, the cable you showed, includes a flat rather large wire that changes to a pin in shape, thats a discontinuity right there … looks like plain old teflon dielectric

but I guess if you pay enough for it, these things dont matter and you can just make assertions and some people will want to believe. when you mention things like being silver changing the sound of spdif, it speaks of the possibility of error, not improvement, yet you claim its magic, so i'm afraid coupled with the rather overwhelming evidence to the contrary to your claims, it doesnt provide you any back up. People that pay that sort of money for tweaks often buy into more and more ridiculous sorcery, so although you throw that around like it is a substitute for reality, i'm afraid I dont buy it.

money doesnt change anything and it doesnt impress me, or intimidate me.

if you had any actual research, you would have shown it

Last edited:
well you asked for it lolly boy

The people, who pay the money for the cables I help construct, are High Enders. They have money and do not wish to think, they listen and if the cable delivers, they do not ask how much -> they have to have it irrelevant of the cost.

You can only dream to be able to get the opportunity to listen to such cable, let alone afford it

ahem

Extreme_Boky

Provided the cable you mention actually has the out of this world quality stated, what's the point in the transformer mod you pointed out? Is there any flaw remaining that this silver wire does not mop up?

well, the cable you showed, includes a flat rather large wire that changes to a pin in shape, thats a discontinuity right there … looks like plain old teflon dielectric

the cable I showed is NOT an SPDIF version; however, it is supposed to give everyone an idea of what I'm trying to convey here. I can't show the S/PDIF cable construction, but it is possible to use the similar principles to make one..

I can also warmly suggest the quad-shield RG6 as a quick & very cheap alternative that could be much better than anything commercially available up to $500 or even more...

money doesnt change anything and it doesnt impress me, or intimidate me.

if you had any actual research, you would have shown it

I have already shown you a picture which is a revolutionary approach in cable design.

You don’t have to be worried about being intimidated or not… the S/PDIF cable I talk about here is simply not for you.

However, the point of this thread' discussion was that RCA can be made to provide 75 ohm impedance and that the construction and material used even for an S/PDIF cable, make huge difference.

Originally Posted By Extreme_Boky
Sure about that? What about the speed the signal travels down the wire? Can you check that as well by observing the eye-pattern in a single instance in time? Saying that this speed is not important is the same as implying that jitter doesn't make any difference with regard to digital sound. And how about the oxidation and the resulting loss due to the increased resistance and the skin effect at high S/PDIF frequencies?
This is one of your earlier posts, its shows some misunderstanding of digital signal transmission. Again how can silver be better than copper, what mechanism makes it so, the speed of electrons is about 0.1mm sec in either copper or silver so how does silver improve things? The signal speed is not affected by the metal the wire is made of.
Again with no construction we cannot comment on the cables suitability to transmit data, and probably as important it effectiveness to reject outside influences, EMC.

I have already shown you a picture which is a revolutionary approach in cable design.

You don’t have to be worried about being intimidated or not… the S/PDIF cable I talk about here is simply not for you.

However, the point of this thread' discussion was that RCA can be made to provide 75 ohm impedance and that the construction and material used even for an S/PDIF cable, make huge difference.

trust me, i'm not worried, i'm not missing out; the feelings verge on pity, rather than intimidation.
it would be pity, if it wasnt for the overwhelming and somewhat pathetic condescension you have from your glass tower…

you are correct, I would never use RCA for spdif and I would suggest that if you are hearing these things, you need to spend some time on getting the DAC and transport right.

its money over substance, which is all too common. oh well I shall live on, satisfied … regardless of not knowing the super secret recipe

Last edited:
This is one of your earlier posts, its shows some misunderstanding of digital signal transmission. Again how can silver be better than copper, what mechanism makes it so, the speed of electrons is about 0.1mm sec in either copper or silver so how does silver improve things? The signal speed is not affected by the metal the wire is made of.
Again with no construction we cannot comment on the cables suitability to transmit data, and probably as important it effectiveness to reject outside influences, EMC.

sure, in ideal situation...

even silver oxide is a better conductor than copper

have you ever tried silver in an audio chain?

Boky

Not for digital, there is no need what so ever, and neither for interconnects. The only time I have used silver cable was for the feed to a tweeter in a black housing, and then my only motivation was bling factor, the silver cable in a transparent plastic looked cool with the black housing...
Electronically there is no benefit or gains to be made by using silver conductors over copper, none.

No, RCA is not 75 ohm and cannot be. My guess is that it is actually lower than that, as the centre pin is quite thick.

I suppose with careful EM modelling it might be possible to arrange tails or other compensating components (of a higher impedance) so that the combination of those plus RCA is a reasonable approximation to 75R provided the frequency is not too high. I doubt if anyone has bothered to do this as for SPDIF it is not really worth it. It is one of those cases where those who know how to do it know it is not worth doing.

Then, Canare 75 ohm RCA plugs and sockets are fakes?

Canare RJ-R | Performance Audio
Canare Corp.: RCA Crimp Plugs: 75 ohm RCA Crimp Plug(RCAP-C Series)

I like to adhere to white papers, designs based on analytical research and objectivism.

But I also allowed myself to trust my observations. It didn't happen quickly or early enough in my life, but luckily - it did happen.

You're likely hearing what you WANT to hear. If you can reliably tell the difference in double blind tests that means something but otherwise it's wishful thinking. WHY would SPDIF sound any different using cable A vs cable B? The bits are getting though better? Jitter? In a properly designed system the jitter can be eliminated. Why does everybody always believe a bit error is always an LSB? A bit is a bit and statistically can be ANY bit. If the system is marginal we can aggravate errors by sending certain 'pathological' patterns but this is really pointing out system shortcomings. Just remember that all digital transmission is ANALOG and anything that messes up waveforms in the analog signals WILL distort the digital representation. How well the receiver can sort it out is a design issue. As others said good transmission line (cable) and connectors is mandatory. 'Good enough' almost never is.

You're likely hearing what you WANT to hear. If you can reliably tell the difference in double blind tests that means something but otherwise it's wishful thinking. WHY would SPDIF sound any different using cable A vs cable B? The bits are getting though better? Jitter? In a properly designed system the jitter can be eliminated. Why does everybody always believe a bit error is always an LSB? A bit is a bit and statistically can be ANY bit. If the system is marginal we can aggravate errors by sending certain 'pathological' patterns but this is really pointing out system shortcomings. Just remember that all digital transmission is ANALOG and anything that messes up waveforms in the analog signals WILL distort the digital representation. How well the receiver can sort it out is a design issue. As others said good transmission line (cable) and connectors is mandatory. 'Good enough' almost never is.

but…but….but…. $$$$$$$ its very expensive, so your objections have been noted, we have paid the creator off though

its very shiny and very expensive, didnt you know that? dont you know anything? :rolleyes: ;) the realities of the natural world do not apply to high end audio, these visionaries are literally transforming the physics of our world as we know it and unless we pony up with vast sums of cash, our reality will remain un-musical, flat, boring and somewhat predictable, there will be no toe tapping for us. We will miss out on these developments sadly :Pinoc:

I think its funny that spending vast sums of money on floobydust, to solve problems that are already solved, is portrayed as being a smart decision that only the forward thinking, fabulously wealthy elite, can ever hope to experience, when precisely the opposite is the case, its very ironic. as is promoting digital gear that is so sensitive to minute changes as being of any quality worth having, even if we made the leap of 'faith' and believed any changes in such a signal could present improved musical transparency in the first place.

It really makes me wonder how these people managed to get the money in the first place to throw at such things.

IMO any spdif is only to be considered legacy these days anyway, but thats beside the point.

Please, see Canare RJ-R RCA sockets.
These are 75 ohms female RCAs

http://www.canare.com/UploadedDocuments/Cat11_p23.pdf
Canare RJ-R | Performance Audio

no, not really, they are about as close as you'll get while still being confined to being an RCA that fits other RCAs though.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.