What difference does the quality of a digital interconnect make?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It doesn't matter enough to actually affect anything. People are accustomed to seeing RCAs, and that's what's on just about all equipment (including TV sets, set top boxes, DVD players...) so that's what's used. The cable peddlers are happy because it's easy and inexpensive to terminate with the same RCAs they use for their bling audio interconnects.

Completely agree. Then if we may agree that RCA is the norm in the audio DAC world, why so many people keep arguing about how "inappropriate" this connectors are for that specific use......

It matters: RCA is not 75R so it will create an impedance discontinuity.

It doesn't matter: digital audio is robust enough not to be bothered by this as the only effect is a little (very little!) high frequency jitter which the receiver PLL is designed to filter away, and anyway the connections to the RCA (or BNC) at each end are likely to be not 75R either.

So, bottom line, it doesn't matter. I support that. RCAs are good to go with here.

Some professional equipment, mostly intended to be part of a bigger system, do have BNC connectors. This is the typical case of medical diagnostic stuff.
SVHS recoders (now obsolete), printers, etc, have BNCs.
I guess one of the main advantages is that it can't break loose any easy.

I'm thinking that snake oil is quite an enemy we as diyers must fight back or surrender to idiocy.

Those BNC's are undoubtedly 50ohm, the standard for all measurement gear such as oscilloscopes, (apart from Video), and 10base-T data networks.

It is difficult to tell the difference between the two and they are often interchanged without realising, the effect being negligible except in demanding high frequency applications.

Attaching and detaching BNCs requires slightly more brain cells and slightly better manual dexterity than RCAs so maybe they are too complicated for the average technology user - or at least the average technology marketeer who makes the decisions?

I have another theory. BNC looks too much like a plain cheap antenna plug. Plus I suspect audiophiles to exaggerate the need for symmetry, RCA in/RCA out need be! :)

Hi,

Last year i did some measurements on a few spdif cables with the equipment i use in my daily work designing, among other things, high speed data lines for mobile test equipment. The conclusion i made was that there was very poor correlation between performance and price.
I also did some characterization of the complete signal chain, from spdif line driver to spdif reciever and found that the design of my beloved music machines where less than perfect :). The sad thing was (is) that even if i put a very good 75Ohm cable in the chain the results where a bit dissapointing. After correcting both source and reciever there was nothing beating a good double shielded industry standard cable both technically and sonically. I might of cource be a bit biased in listening tests towards the technically correct solution....

I will NEVER spend more than what a good industry standard cable cost on a spdif interface.

Extreme_Boky,
If you send me a cable i´d be happy to characterize it for you in my LeCroy Sparq 4004.

Personally I would be interested in knowing what spdiff receivers/transmitters or way to..would be better technically. Meantime I have CD transports and powerdac with RCA and I can easily hear differences between spdif cables used and btw selected a cheap one for the time being, which also happen to be non-ferromagnetic as opposed to those magnetic Canare RCA's lol, totally unaceptable choice of materials for audioconnectors I read in another tread

Hi,

Last year i did some measurements on a few spdif cables with the equipment i use in my daily work designing, among other things, high speed data lines for mobile test equipment. The conclusion i made was that there was very poor correlation between performance and price.
I also did some characterization of the complete signal chain, from spdif line driver to spdif reciever and found that the design of my beloved music machines where less than perfect :). The sad thing was (is) that even if i put a very good 75Ohm cable in the chain the results where a bit dissapointing. After correcting both source and reciever there was nothing beating a good double shielded industry standard cable both technically and sonically. I might of cource be a bit biased in listening tests towards the technically correct solution....

I will NEVER spend more than what a good industry standard cable cost on a spdif interface.

Extreme_Boky,
If you send me a cable i´d be happy to characterize it for you in my LeCroy Sparq 4004.

Have you considered recovering the pulse trains after the pulse re-shaping/re-clocking stages inside your equipment, right at the DAC chip input?

How degraded the digital transmision has to be until the mentioned stages are unable to recover the data as it was sent?

Personally I would be interested in knowing what spdiff receivers/transmitters or way to..would be better technically. Meantime I have CD transports and powerdac with RCA and I can easily hear differences between spdif cables used and btw selected a cheap one for the time being, which also happen to be non-ferromagnetic as opposed to those magnetic Canare RCA's lol, totally unaceptable choice of materials for audioconnectors I read in another tread

Sorry but I thought that the whole digital audio was developed to allow overcome all analog downsides in regards to the audio signal to be transmited/recovered, not to continue suffering them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.