What are you Watching?

While I had no such moronic nearby company, I felt much the same disappointment, nay, distress, after spending the almost $20 to sit through the 3D IMAX full body assault that was "Prometheus". - apologies to fans of Ridley's work, but I simply didn't enjoy it, and haven't been willing to give this one another chance. As my wife would say "once is enough, dear"

FWIW, I'm rather a fan of Colin Farrell's work, and certainly much preferred his performance to Arnold's in the original. Well, actually, to be honest, I can barely tolerate Arnold - decent enough physical "actor" in his earlier days, but when he opens his mouth in any attempt to emote as a human being,:eek: - he does make a fine cyborg[/B]. Dwayne Johnson (The Rock) is far more fun to watch in that genre.

Bob: Thanks for the tip - yah, the images did show up on the first couple of post views on the originating computer, then poof.

'Total Recall' (2012 - 2D) -> Better than the original? ...Different, has its moments too. We are in 2014, and in this regards it has some merits. And recalling the original (1990 - a quarter century back) with Arnold makes me smile a lot today. :)
All in all I like them both, meself. :wave2s:

'Prometheus' (2012 - 3D) -> Forget IMAX 3D; $20 is outrageous, buy the Blu-ray 3D instead for only $10 on sale. ...And watch it in the comfort of your home theater room with a properly calibrated display and surround sound system. ...It rocks!

By the way, 'Prometheus 2' is comin' (2015-16). ...I just can't wait. :)
- I'm a Ridley Scott's fan, a big one. ...But it don't affect me @ all that other people have a different perspective, to the contrary, I love it. :)

<> I like The Rock. :)

* Chris, I'm glad that I contributed a little @ improving your "picture covers" posting skills. :cool:

Prometheus was a train wreck in my opinion. An overwrought, under-thought, gore-fest, tarted up as high minded science fiction epic. No offense meant to those who liked it.

Yeah, I thought Colin Farrell was the only decent thing in the 2012 Total Recall. Everything else was pretty "meh" for me.

About Arnold, in addition to playing a solid cyborg, I though he was pretty good as straight up barbarian in Conan :).

Last night, I watched "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2" just because it was on Netflix and I'd meant to watch it. Definitely much more formulaic than the first, some pretty pictures, a lot of excessive verbal and visual cuteness, not really worth watching again.

Me, I prefer the first one, in 3D. ...And I watched the second one in 3D as well (I own both of them on Blu).

- 'Prometheus' - I already commented on it above; very short but to the point.

- Colin Farrell - In 'Total Recall's remake: I wish that Arnold would have been hired for this. :) ...Arnold is a much more fun actor to watch onscreen, without a doubt. :) ...In all the movies he's in; Conan, Terminator, etc.

Last edited:
Two nights ago I fell asleep in trying to watch this flick (last night I finally did) ::

77903_large.jpg

* It didn't "rock" my "boat" as much as reading the New Testament, and the Old.
...You might have a different perspective than mine, and that's just fine. :)

Heh, NorthStar, I guess our tastes aren't identical after all. Good, it would be terribly boring if they were. I'm a big fan of almost all of R. Scott's other work. He's done a lot of pretty varied stuff: Alien, Gladiator, A Good Year, Hannibal, Thelma and Louise, etc. Anybody remember Someone to Watch Over Me (1987)? A solid little thriller (although probably feels really derivative now). A terrible shame about his brother, Tony.

Being in a contemplative mood, I'm breaking out "The Big Kahuna" (1999). Kevin Spacey in a more human look at the modern workplace than "Glengarry Glen Ross".

51tYJdCitIL.jpg

Bob- not all of us have jumped on the at home 3D bandwagon yet - for which the cost of a decent screen was at a substantial premium when I last "upgraded" Hell, I'm still stuck in the dark ages with only 5.1 and a 46" LG LCD, and it's been at least 2 yrs since I've played even a DVD, and not once yet a BD.

It might be amusing to watch Arnold mangle the spoken word, and in his earlier work he could certainly "move" and flex, but AFAIC, he can't convincingly emote his way out of a wet loin cloth - something I think he shares with Sylvester Stallone .

Chris, I understand. ...It didn't cost me much to jump on 3D (HDTV plasma 60").
But them 3D Blu-rays are sure expensive.

What matters most @ the end is the moving experience. ...And I don't have my 10-foot screen yet with a 4K/3D front projector, or an 80" OLED 3D/4k.

And! A new Dolby Atmos Surround Sound Processor with four overhead Dolby Atmos speakers.

* Too tired last night to watch a flick (very rare). ...I did check some of the news though, very sad...
<<>> Movies are an escape for me from all that sadness in the world.

BTW, what happened to the Universe? ...The thread. :D

To go off on a tangent for a Big Lebowski - Arnold connection: John Goodman's Walter Sobchak character in The Big Lebowski was based on the Coen brothers' friend, John Milius, who wrote and directed Conan the Barbarian which starred Arnold in his breakthrough role.

Continuing the tangent, John Milius' production designer for Conan the Barbarian was Ron Cobb who was the concept artist for Alien and Aliens. Alien being directed by the aforementioned Ridley Scott in *his* directorial breakthrough. And Aliens being directed by James Cameron who revolutionized 3d cinema with his Fusion Camera System.

I guess the tangent became more of a tangle :rolleyes:.

To go off on a tangent for a Big Lebowski - Arnold connection: John Goodman's Walter Sobchak character in The Big Lebowski was based on the Coen brothers' friend, John Milius, who wrote and directed Conan the Barbarian which starred Arnold in his breakthrough role.

Continuing the tangent, John Milius' production designer for Conan the Barbarian was Ron Cobb who was the concept artist for Alien and Aliens. Alien being directed by the aforementioned Ridley Scott in *his* directorial breakthrough. And Aliens being directed by James Cameron who revolutionized 3d cinema with his Fusion Camera System.

I guess the tangent became more of a tangle :rolleyes:.

That is very cool to know, thanx a bunch for that! :film: :bullseye: :up:

I watched this late last night (all alone, on a dark black sky of the night) ::

64496_large.jpg

* It's.....different. ...Helps keeping your cool under control.....sort of.

You might be familiar with the director, David Cronenberg. ...In 1981 this flick put him on the map; with high velocity propulsion, at the speed of light, which now some scientists believe it is a bit slower than first discovered, by Albert. ...Very true; just check the latest scientific news (only a day or two ago - goggle it).

Anyway, 'Scanners' is completely outrageous! ...If you feel to blow your brains out please don't be shy to be my guest and proceed, without extreme prejudice.

It's a therapeutic film, similar to yoga classes. ...Keeps you on the edge of today's latest world's affairs. ...Without falling over the precipice. ...With a sharp edge.

Highly recommended. ...From the Criterion Collection, on Blu-ray - DigiPack / 1 BD, 2 DVDs. ...2D (doesn't come in 3D, very unfortunately).

You're very welcome. My interest piqued, I just watched a documentary about John Milius, Milius (2013), it's available for free on Netflix. Didn't realize that he was class mates with Spielberg and Lucas and was close friends with pretty much every major director from that era. Wrote some of the most iconic dialogue of the era:

• Make my day.
  • Charlie don't surf! + I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
  • the Indianapolis monologue from "Jaws"

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

'Prometheus' (2012 - 3D) -> Forget IMAX 3D; $20 is outrageous, buy the Blu-ray 3D instead for only $10 on sale. ...And watch it in the comfort of your home theater room with a properly calibrated display and surround sound system. ...It rocks!

Do not put money in that pile of garbage in any form is a better advice!

Super advanced god-aliens have space travel and holography technology, but they have to play a flute to enable the spaceship controls?

And that's just one crap in that heap of it.

Disabled Account
Joined 2004
Prometheus and Gravity. Super productions spending millions of dollars all to start up with an incredible stupid script. You would think that among dozens of 'professionals' at least one would stand out and say 'hey guys this script is dumb' but....

So when that happens everyone involved is an idiot. The director the first one, of course. Is it that hard to find a sane person in Hollywood?

Last edited:
I agree; both 'Gravity' and 'Prometheus' are total waste of money thrown away, by the load craps.

There is simply no redemption here. ...This is part of the movie industry. We can object to it with all our emotional impetus, or we can follow the masses who love to be entertained in a world of pain, violence, revenge, wars, blood, grenades, rockets, explosions, viruses, killing, raping, corrupting, and all that very bad jazz.

True, escaping reality is not the intelligent solution; it is rather dumb, stupid, ignorant, and plain and simple negative.

We should only watch smart films and positive documentaries.

From now on, I will only post such stuff.
Thank you for your cooperation.

* I was going to post the last two flicks that I watched, but I'm not sure if it fits all people's criteria. ...I'll take a chance.

Last night :: --------------------------------- And the night before ::
77557_large.jpg
----------------
101194_large.jpg