What are you Watching?

I'll make a note of Tideland. I'd forgotten about that Terry Gilliam movie. I've loved everything by him that I've seen so I have high hopes for Tideland. Tonight revisiting another animated film, but considerably older and grittier. Not as deep as the original book form manga (which, lets face it, at 6 dense volumes and ~2000 pages could never be made as a commercial movie), but still a classic.

91C9pjrU1yL._SX466_.jpg

Perfect Sound Forever: Geinoh Yamashirogumi and the Music of Akira

Since the release of Akira in 1988, Geinoh Yamashirogumi have released a further two albums, Ecophony Gaia (1990) and Ougorin Sanyo (2000), while the group's leader, Shoji Yamashiro has founded his Institute of Science and Culture and helped to establish the creation of the dynamic Hypersonic audio effect. This is based upon studies into acoustics and psychoacoustics, wherein it is believed that whilst the human body cannot hear frequencies above 20kHz, the presence of such frequency content still affects the listener in some way, and it has been employed in the Bluray release of Akira to imbue a more emotional response to the film within the viewer."

I think there's a typo there.

I'm watching "Gladiator" now and there are tigers running around in the Coliseum.

Is this historically correct, did they really have tigers running around!!!

This is a pretty nice movie, actually.

* Tigers were used to "running around" their pray, and kill them, and eat their flesh.
This was common practice in arenas around that time; audiences loved to see them tigers "running around" like that, and eating people alive,
devouring them, tearing them apart, of their guts and heads.

Nowadays we don't see that much happening anymore, except in Spain where the bulls are "running around" the toreadors. But here the toreadors kill them bulls, most of the time. ...Those other times it's the bulls that kill the toreadors "running around". ...The ones who are not careful enough, not "running" away fast enough...

Funny world we live in, through history, and with them human's (men) games...running around.
- The universe is not expanding much.

Last edited:
What is VHS?

Asking what VHS is, is like asking what Laserdisc is.

When I was young, for a certain time, the only format used by everyone was Laserdisc and there were thousands of stores renting them.

You'd visit a video rental store, look at Laserdiscs, that was it!!

Usually they stored only half a movie, you had to flip it halfway through the movie to side B.

For some reason, these days, whenever I say the word Laserdisc it's like no one has ever heard of it.

Laserdisc players stopped being made in 2009, i.e. just very recently!

Here you can see the difference in how it looked, versus DVD ----- LaserDisc vs DVD

Laserdisc ----- http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/Evilweredragon/ldcapture4.png

DVD ----- http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/Evilweredragon/dvdcapture.png

Renting a Laserdisc movie is a very nice childhood memory for me. The sheer size of them and the touch and the smell and the rainbow reflection on the surface and all that.

Digital media and online shopping can never fully replace physical. We need in-store experiences full of colour, touching, interaction.

Last edited:
I still have my Pioneer laser-disc player, of course i still have an Epson MX-80 tractor-feed printer. When laser-disc was going out of fashion you could purchase opera sets for only a couple of bucks. Fave laser-disc is "The Producers" which was pulled from production about 2 years before the revival on Broadway with Nathan Lane, etc., etc.

Perhaps Bob was being ironic?

Of course I was. My VHS movie collection was quite extensive (many widescreen ones too). It was stolen from me. I invested a lot of money on this. And I was buying some of the most expensive VHS blanks (up to $30 a piece) to record music.
My VCR machines too (were stolen); very good ones and fairly expensive (one was $1,500).

Anyway, I just love movies, always was a collector, and still ...
No Laser Discs though. ...I was more 'travelling' in those years...

* Night before last night (1967) ::

49438_large.jpg

Just for the kirk of it, with The Duke.

** Last night (1968) ::

22723_large.jpg

What can I say; my favorite Western flick since the beginning of the universe.
I always revisit it, and last night again I was totally enraptured all over again...
...That very long opening scene is transcendentally absorbing! ...Totally riveting! ...The camera shots, the close-ups, the middle-shots, the long-shots, the sounds, the small noises (a fly, water drops), the train making its entrance, the waiting period (before and during its arrival), Charles (Harmonica man), everything is sync perfectly.

If you watch a bunch of recent Hollywood blockbusters a la Godzilla, Apes, Pompeii, Noah, X-Men, Captain America, Robocop, all them big Sci-Fi flicks, ...and then suddenly you put that Blu-ray movie inside your BD player (Upon Time @ West - from Sergio), you now entered another climate change, the real cinema zone.
It makes you realize more the universe we live in...

No Dolby Atmos bananas and big fake CGI effects here, just pure Cinema Art.

Last edited:
22723_large.jpg

What can I say; my favorite Western flick since the beginning of the universe.
I always revisit it, and last night again I was totally enraptured all over again...
...That very long opening scene is transcendentally absorbing! ...Totally riveting! ...The camera shots, the close-ups, the middle-shots, the long-shots, the sounds, the small noises (a fly, water drops), the train making its entrance, the waiting period (before and during its arrival), Charles (Harmonica man), everything is sync perfectly.
You've hit the spot there, Bob - the "perfect" Western, a true work of art - how much can be said when "nothing is happening" - my favourite, too ... :)