Well I am now a believer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Onvinyl said:

By 'myth' I'm referring to the boring repetitions like 'My TD150 outperforms so many today's high-end decks...'
That is simply not true! We all see those hypes come and go, and that one is on a high tide now!

I would say your claim is a myth. I don't know of any Thorens fan that would compared the TD-150 to the 125 or the other bigger Thorens decks.

But I do agree that the deck itself is the most important part, with the tonearm the least important part. I think most people would rate the EMT 927 as the finest deck ever made. You can probably mount any tonearm on it (figuring it's long enough for the 16" platter) and it will still outperform all other decks.

phn said:

I would say your claim is a myth. I don't know of any Thorens fan that would compared the TD-150 to the 125 or the other bigger Thorens decks.
Of course not. But that same thorens fan may claim that his TD150 outperforms a Scheu Premier (yes, I heard people saying that!).

I think most people would rate the EMT 927 as the finest deck ever made.

Next myth :bigeyes:
I don't think there is anything like 'the finest deck ever made'. The EMT *is* a fine deck, though, but there are surely quite some valid alternatives.
Rüdiger

While I'm at it, since your nick indicates tube knowledge, I have a question. I ordered some Sovtec 12AX7LPS tubes from Parts Express for my Dyna Pre-amp and they are NOISY! I am returning them. Any experience with this? I should probably post on the tube forum. But then I'll risk starting a fight over transistors vs tubes! (I have both, and still have two Citation II's)

I've not had any experience with this particular tube; looking at the comparison chart at thetubestore.com, the 12AX7LPS is very quiet, but is only average in microphonics. The Tung-Sol scores the highest in the group tested.
Ask Santa for a pair of NOS Sylvania's or RCA's.

Jeff

rdr-

I looked around the tube forums regarding the Sovtek 12AX7LPS's, and it turns out these are the good'ns. Consistancy has been a problem with these in the past (reported to be resolved),so it is possible you got some old stock. I would suggest getting your tubes from someone that only does tubes, such as here. If another set seems noisy, the new tubes, without a rolled off top end, might be revealing a problem with your Dynaco. Has the pre been restored with fresh passive components? The original caps fade with time, and the carbon resistors can get noisy.

-Casey

Onvinyl said:

Of course not. But that same thorens fan may claim that his TD150 outperforms a Scheu Premier (yes, I heard people saying that!).

Then they are being silly. The later Thorens 32X series are superior to the 150/160 and 125-7 series.

I don't think there is anything like 'the finest deck ever made'. The EMT *is* a fine deck, though, but there are surely quite some valid alternatives.
Rüdiger

Poor choice of words. I always crange when people use "best" to describe something. I should say that the EMT 927 does its thing better than any other deck--idler-wheel deck, that is. And it's not because of the tonearm.

Telefunken did an impressive-looking idler-wheel deck. But I can't speak for it. I can't speak for the Neumann decks either, though they are "hybrids," like the Thorens TD-124. So, yes, it seems much of the EMT 927 legend comes from the fact that people have heard it. Or they have at least heard the 930 and can use that as something of a reference.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
vinylkid58 said:
Sovtek 12AX7LPS is very quiet, but is only average in microphonics. The Tung-Sol scores the highest in the group tested.

A modern Tung-Sol is a SovTek. The same guy who uses Sovtek as a generic name for tubes from one of the Russian factories he gets inventory from now owns the Tung-Sol name.

The guy who cryos my tubes has tested tones on 'AX7s and likes the robust build of the Sovteks, being quiet & low on microphonics.

dave

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
rdr said:
......................I ordered some Sovtec 12AX7LPS tubes from Parts Express for my Dyna Pre-amp and they are NOISY! I am returning them. Any experience with this? I should probably post on the tube forum. But then I'll risk starting a fight over transistors vs tubes! (I have both, and still have two Citation II's)

for my knowledge- if you try with Jim McShane,you'll get what he told you

Awesome news :)

Heres an anecdote that will make you feel better..

Years ago one of the factory reps came by the store I worked in for his monthly visit. As he was giving us new product literature, etc., I noticed he seemed a little down in the mouth. I asked him what was up, and he shared his tale of woe. It seems the night before he heard this banging noise in the den, and when he walked in to investigate , he saw his 3 year old son hammering on their new TV. When he ran over to retrieve the lads makeshift hammer, he realized in horror that it was his tonearm :bigeyes: . He swung around and saw his table on end on the floor with its arm cable hanging out a splintered hole. It seems the tyke reached up, and slid the table off it's stand. The inertia of the drop was enough to seperate the arm from the table.

Juice doesn't sound so bad now, does it?

Tired last night. My previous post (#65) should have looked this way. Now I don't credit Rüdiger for things he did NOT write.

Onvinyl said:

Then they are being silly. The later Thorens 32X series are superior to the 150/160 and 125-7 series.

Onvinyl said:

Rüdiger

Poor choice of words. I always crange when people use "best" to describe something. I should say that the EMT 927 does its thing better than any other deck--idler-wheel deck, that is. And it's not because of the tonearm.

Telefunken did an impressive-looking idler-wheel deck. But I can't speak for it. I can't speak for the Neumann decks either, though they are "hybrids," like the Thorens TD-124. So, yes, it seems much of the EMT 927 legend comes from the fact that people have heard it. Or they have at least heard the 930 and can use that as something of a reference.

I read the "crapped out" post & felt that the SP15 is just a shade less robust than my SP10Mk11P.......Went to it and switched on the PS. Put a record on the platter and switched on the motor...You guessed ...It too had "crapped"!!
This TT has the massive full broadcast spec. Power Supply which in real terms contains a lot of empty space. All the on deck boards have been relocated into the PS and it is joined up with a massive umbilical of about 2.5 feet. Much else has been modded. and it sounds truly wonderful sitting in the full obsidian plinth, with a Zeta arm and Kondo rebuilt first batch ever of his Io cartridge.......But last night all was silent. I opened the PS and checked voltages...everything fine! Yes: it had a faulty microswitch to start the motor.

The moral is to never feel superior when confronted with other's misfortune. And quite right during this season of goodwill!!!!

Happy Christmas from a household which rediscovers just how awful a noise even a good cCD player can make!!

Brianco.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.