Well I am now a believer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
about TT making a difference

i just stumbled on this thread... i'd like to point out 1 thing.

The turntable WILL / can make a huge difference to the sound. I always knew this but was somewhat sceptical about how much, thinking cartridge / arm might be equally influential.

I then decided one day to replace my Audiomeca Romeo TT with a DIY Scheu based TT. I litterally threw it together in an acrylic subchassis just to see. It totally whooped the Audiomeca in no subtle manner (and I'd bought the Audiomeca in preference to the pink triangle reference way back in 1992)

I mean whole instruments appeared that were previously lost.. I am not kidding... vocals separated out to indiviuduals and the noise floor dropped a lot.

I can absolutely say that this was 100% TT related because I used the same Audiomeca unipivot arm and AT ART1 MC cartrdge on both.

I have since built a sand filled chassis and placed the TT on a sand box style iso platform and gained more improvements (noteably bass is more even with no resonances or booming and sound stage became huge) All this was pretty cheap, maybe 60 euros all in, but it now weighs 55kgs :)

Battery motor supply.... even better...

How to explain this... well, a TT is very similar to an atomic force microscope in that it uses a stylus to trace a surface and extract information from that surface.

An atomic force microscope (as the name implies) can resolve atomic level features... Guess what?? So can a turntable... in fact most decent cartridges available are very much more capable that the average atomic force microscope stylus

But to achive this, first of all the actual TT must not be introducing it's own noise which of course every one of them does to a certain extent... It doesn't take a lot of resonances to totally mask detail from the record.... or a lot of mains hash transmited from the motor throught the drive system.

second... the evironment should not be upsetting the TT... which of course it always does to some extent.

So in the end there is a ton of stuff to do to improve the sound of the TT, and a lot of it need not be expensive.

good luck

A

I sometimes leave my tt standing for a couple of months...and when I suddenly got the urge to play vinyl, that damn belt was slack...

That's odd - I've been running my LP12 for 25 years with the same belt & no problem like that. Of course, maybe the belt should be replaced anyway after all that time. OTOH, I don't know if I've ever left it unused for a two month stretch during that time.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.