Welcome to the new diyAudio platform - feedback wanted!

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Update: Please make sure you have read Jason's post #513 before replying into this thread instead of using the new forum we have created to collate new issues called "New Platform Issues".

After a 36 hour marathon migration, we have our new home!

It was important for us to get off our old software as soon as possible, rather than wait for the new software to be perfect. Your bug reports and constructive feedback are welcome. They will help guide us make the right decisions to improve the site in the future, and to clean up any issues.

Planning, development and migration was performed in partnership with Xenforo experts Audentio. You might see some of them chime in to this discussion thread.

PS make sure you check out the theme chooser which gives you three theme options - light, dark, and classic.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2021
Paid Member
Hey, this is Will from Audentio! I was one of the team of people who worked on the platform and migration.

If you've got any feedback to share, such as issues you encounter when using the new platform or any pain points with the user interface, feel free to note them here so we can monitor anything that comes up and work on solutions as quickly as possible.

Otherwise, we hope you enjoy the new platform!

I guess its good to upgrade to a more modern system and it appears functional but i think I'll be "that guy" and say i miss the old old-school forum layout and its charm, i guess its a dying breed and i now its just another flat modern design. Don't even see the flags and post count... i dont want to complain but somehow things seem more impersonable. Thumbs up on importing the old emojis though, i will take solace in that.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Looks good bit bulky but I am sure the added features will make the change worth while Thanks for Your Time and Help.
Currently my opinion is that the front page in particular is "crufty" and lacks scannability. We have to decide whether to go live early or wait for "perfect" and decided to just get on with it. Please expect to see refinements over the coming weeks and months, with a focus on making it "lighter" (less cluttered), making it easier to scan pages for the information you're looking for (improved "visual hierarchy").

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Kudos to all involved!

First thing I can think of, and certainly very important to my brain - button to "Show unread posts" per subforum

If it is already there ..... I still didn't see it :)

Old emoticons are here !!! Yeah!

I see there is "Mark read" button, working for subforum

That's enough for me , regarding previous note

:cheers:

Joined 2000
Paid Member
I guess its good to upgrade to a more modern system and it appears functional but i think I'll be "that guy" and say i miss the old old-school forum layout and its charm, i guess its a dying breed and i now its just another flat modern design. Don't even see the flags and post count... i dont want to complain but somehow things seem more impersonable. Thumbs up on importing the old emojis though, i will take solace in that.
I know where you're coming from!

Don't stress - Flags are missed and will be returning, they are on the todo list. I think they were important to as you say be "personable" and add a unique charm to the place that showcases our global membership.

User's post count was always hidden, but maybe you mean post count somewhere else.

There is a "classic" theme you can choose, to see the old colors.

1639094238457.png

All 3 themes ("light", "dark" and "classic") will be improved over the coming weeks. The classic theme will continue to get closer to the theme of the last site, as much as we can get it there.

Currently my opinion is that the front page in particular is "crufty" and lacks scannability. We have to decide whether to go live early or wait for "perfect" and decided to just get on with it. Please expect to see refinements over the coming weeks and months, with a focus on making it "lighter" (less cluttered), making it easier to scan pages for the information you're looking for (improved "visual hierarchy").
I changed my reply good work I am sure it will become less crufty as the interface is refined.

Last edited:
There is a "classic" theme you can choose, to see the old colors.

All 3 themes ("light", "dark" and "classic") will be improved over the coming weeks. The classic theme will continue to get closer to the theme of the last site, as much as we can get it there.

Ok classic theme applied, i withdraw my complaint

It seems the new "replying" feature is waay cleaner to do and inserting/uploading images easyer as well, so that's another plus.
Still will never use new emojis as a matter of principle, but cheers to the team that made the switch :cheers:

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Works fine!
Once into preferences, with text size set small, theme 'classic' etc --it IS just fine (and kudos for what must have been a monumental effort to migrate 20years+of data!!)

I suppose -and it doesn't much matter -I'd also like a way to shrink or elect to NOT see user avatars, anywhere.
In xenforo, it just takes up so much screen space - to the point of unnecessarily bulking-out the screen spacing even when you have set a personal pref for small text size. As I am looking now, pref for screen font set 'small ,just the square logo for each user amounts to about 4-5 lines of text in a post, anothe r2-3forusername, location.It's a bit disproportionate.

(I've never found user avatars or signatures a useful thing anyway... maybe that's just me.) But the waste of screen space is..wierd, after the efficiency of DIYAudio display for last decade ++. Esp. on the front page.

these are only my very minor suggestions on what is obviously a huge work-in-progress yet - when things will take weeks, likely months to find their level.

But -seriously: amazing work on such a total overhaul!
Thanks Martin.

I also find the introduction of avatars in the front page feed a little jarring, mainly because the weight of them places them too high in the "visual hierarchy" and makes it harder to scanning down the page looking for thread titles you're interested in. This is an issue that is acknowledged, and will be massaged and refined as time goes on to improve readability / scannability. This could be done via adjustments to the size/weight/saturation of elements, or perhaps even adding a "high density" toggle to bring back the "bird's eye view" front page vibe.

Please do continue to give feedback, it will all be read and we'll do our best to make the site experience the best it can be for you. Again this is just an early starting point for us to get us through the very difficult migration process, and now we can start work on refining things.