Weiliang DAC9 with AK4399

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
summing up around the chip for the coming members:

1. DVDD § BlackGate STD or Niobium AVX NOJ or Sanyo OSCON
21. VCMR § BlackGate STD or Niobium AVX NOJ or Sanyo OSCON
25. VDDR § Elna Silmics II Black/Gold
26. VREFHR § Elna Silmics II Black/Gold
30. VREFHL § Elna Silmics II Black/Gold
31. VDDL § Elna Silmics II Black/Gold
35. VCML § BlackGate STD or Niobium AVX NOJ or Sanyo OSCON
41. AVDD § Elna Silmics II Black/Gold

all 10uf as the AKM recomedation but without bypass.

thanx to ClaveFremen and others in the thread.
those niobium caps may be found here.
will appreciate any recommendation to complete the list for the future.

For VREFHs, try to increase caps value from 10uf to at least 470uf if space allows. I was able to install 3300uf low ESR caps on another board version of the AK4399 and it made a nice improvement. This is well documented in the new AK4490 datasheet from AKM....
Fab

The xmos board did it for me, didn't hear a need to improve the tcxo after that, but I'm using usb input and not spdif.
I have found that the silmic II have not enough midrange, have changed a lot of other capacitors around them thinking it couldn't be those causing the problem.
I have since used some silmic ars, silmic super gold, and Panasonic purism for local decoupling in my projects.
A small polystyrene on the chip analog side, close to the chip made a diffeence also, the remainder of my small film caps are wima fpk.
The 47uf silmics as supplied on these boards are the good variety, from what I recall.

50Hz hum

Hello,
my DAC9 has some ground hum, not loud but noticeable. I've used a 30VA R-core trafo and the 0 volts of 15-0-15 goes directly to star ground, I've also tried other grounding schemes but without improvement. It's completely stock kit otherwise, but I've removed the RCA-connectors and use shielded wires instead, going directly to source switch and no ground connection in switch end. I've also replaced the SPST switch with outboard switch.

Any suggestions?

Hello,
my DAC9 has some ground hum, not loud but noticeable. .

Any suggestions?

Do you use USB.

I have heard about the same issue.
Try to create shortcut between RCA and USB as shown by yellow.
It looks strange but one guy found it and that works.

Attachments

• 20141226_141135.jpg
    20141226_141135.jpg
    469.8 KB · Views: 346
I know that it must already been said, but I tried some opamps rolling with the original 5534DD JCR ones.
To my ears these are not bad at all.
Compared with 627BP, these last ones seems less detailed and a little "muddy".
AD797 seem ok, but still I prefer the original 5534.
Anybody else did some similar comparison?

BTW, I have on hand some Philips 5534AN, do you think I can espect Any difference from the JCR 5534DD of the original package..?

fab

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I know that it must already been said, but I tried some opamps rolling with the original 5534DD JCR ones.
To my ears these are not bad at all.
Compared with 627BP, these last ones seems less detailed and a little "muddy".
AD797 seem ok, but still I prefer the original 5534.
Anybody else did some similar comparison?

BTW, I have on hand some Philips 5534AN, do you think I can espect Any difference from the JCR 5534DD of the original package..?

627BP is an expensive opamp, are you sure it is genuine? Have you bought it from a reliable source? Having said that the ones I have come from boards from China so not sure if they are genuine or fake....I am not that impressed as well ...with the parts I have...

Old 5534 or new JRC one has the same datasheet schematics and characteristics so there is no reason to not sound the same. Personally, I do not like this old 5534 opamp since it may sound more detailed but to me it is simply colouring the original sound and is not natural.
You may want to start experimenting with reasonable price more state-of-the-art parts like OPA1611 or OPA1641. 1611 is more dynamic on the bass than 1641, but the 1641 has an exquisite sound which is detailed but more natural and less fatiguing than 5534... You can even get free samples from Texas Instruments if you register on their web site...
I also prefer the 1611/1641 to the AD797 .

Fab

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.