was planning on a voigt pipe, now not so sure.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Oh dear don't give me a decision Dave lol. There again I like the frugel mk3 too!! But which one for the best bass? I dont want a sub!

That is a hard question to answer. I suspect the FH3 will be more finessed, but being a very targeted design (ie specifically for EL70) the big ML-Voigt likely goes lower (with the P7 or EL70).

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
it was my birthday and i did the iBIB as an experiment in solving some of the issues with the BIB and use a small driver. Never built it, ut have heard a few.

BIB really needs a corner to load th emouth into so the ripple inherent in them is very variable dependin gon the room and room placement. They are about quantity over quality. The Voigt being mass-loaded has much less ripple and room dependence. Also easier to build.

dave

it was my birthday and i did the iBIB as an experiment in solving some of the issues with the BIB and use a small driver. Never built it, ut have heard a few.

BIB really needs a corner to load th emouth into so the ripple inherent in them is very variable dependin gon the room and room placement. They are about quantity over quality. The Voigt being mass-loaded has much less ripple and room dependence. Also easier to build.

dave

Thanks Dave. With a desire for just one build it is tough to get what you want first time. I remember the fervour on the now defunct Single Driver Forum when the BIB was introduced, and especially the love it received for its output.

And one I always wanted to build. But times change and newer and better designs come to the fore. Also the romance of a partial horn delivery vs a ported enclosure resembling a BR. Makes a clear cut build something a little more hazy? Oh to be able to build them all and make your subjective choice :)

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Martin King clearly showed that the behaviour of the air mass inside the box change from a BR behaviour when the box is close to cubic, and transitions into a 1/4 wave resonantor as one dimension increases wrt the other 2.

An ML-TL or an ML-V may look like a BR but is not one.

attachment.php

dave

Attachments

• MJK-ansys-ML-BR-compare.gif
    MJK-ansys-ML-BR-compare.gif
    92.9 KB · Views: 854
Indeed! When I transitioned to tower/column designs I noticed that for the same net volume [Vb], tuning [Fb], they were tuned lower, so where a sim/build needs a shorter vent than BR is the minimum aspect ratio point.

Unfortunately I never figured out a simple, accurate enough ROT at where this point is, though so far the ~38" o.d. seated ear height [~36.5" i.d.] most times allows at least a minimal amount of 1/4 WL vent loading with tunings in the low 40s and provides significant damping with vintage spec [high Vas] drivers; like in some cases it shortens the vent so much I have to increase the vent area to a simple baffle thickness reflex vent, which can sometimes push the vent area beyond the pioneer's driver effective piston area limit [Sd] = [Av]. To date though, AFAIK it's posed no problems in the field, with owner's really pleased with the high output, [mid] bass quality.

GM

..........................Pluvia 7 should drop right in in place of the EL70 in the pipe
dave

Morning Dave. I have decided to build your EL70 ML-V design, as it is stunning. But it looks like the angled baffle exceeds the 2.44m x 1.22m ply sheet I wish to use on the project? If I make it fit so to speak will it impede the performance?

Addendum: Can I also place the ML port on the bottom? Or even omit the port and use height adjustment to load? Thanks

Last edited:
The design is Scott’s. You can probably shorten the line a bit with little impact. Mass Loading needs to be in the same place, but could be placed on any side, and i suspect fired out the bottom (with appropriate space) toward the floor.

dave

After I posted I scrutinised the drawing for a solution, and discovered that if I placed the port on the sloped side it brought it within a millimeter of the 1220 dimension. Got lucky. I will post some photos up once finished. Thanks so much for all the help Dave & GM :D

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 274
Last edited: