was planning on a voigt pipe, now not so sure.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Planet 10, could you explain to me what looks like some sort of interior baffle? P

Neither my dad or I could figure it out, as it doesn't appear on any other part of the plan, or have any sort of dimensions attached to it.

Thanks, and sorry for bumping the thread.

Russell K

Sorry Russell. to easily understand what that from what was predented you have to have had the context of my other designs/drawings. That bit is a holey brace that ties the 2 sides together. Placement is not supr critical, and some consider the holey braces optional.

Since i did the 1st pass i posted above, i've been working on the plans for Bob, who is adding it to his kit list (email m if you'd like a copy of the work in progrss). The visualization below should help.

EL70-mlv-3d.gif

The driver brace is indended to drain energy from the driver to the back of the box.. it should be tight against the back of the driver magnet.

dave

What is a reverse taper?

A TL is typically tapered* (as per Baily) or straight. A reverse taper would imply a voigt pipe (please note that voigt has no h in it)

dave

*(in reality a taper can go either way, decreasing or increasing taper would make more sense, but only if defined from a particular end, convention is from the closed end, again makes sense only in the context of a quarter wave line)

Well, since I've used this description on a regular basis to describe a TQWT [aka TQWP/TQP/TQWTL] for as long as folks on BB lists/net forums have been interested in such alignments, I'm surprised you would ask this, especially since MJK and some others schooled in electrical and/or acoustical transmission line theory have been at odds with me about my too narrowly defining it on a number of threads, but since you asked.............

A horn is a device that expands in area with increasing length from the closed [throat] end, so a reverse taper is one that contracts with increasing length from it as defined by 'opposite or contrary in position, direction, order, or character' among others since it's a relatively general term.

I normally don't think in scientific [mathematical] terms though and these are mathematical constructs, so looked up 'inverse' and while it has some of the same definitions as 'reverse', it also has mathematical ones which more narrowly defines a TQWT, apparently making it at least a more correct way to define it.

I'm surprised none of the less math challenged folks didn't long ago point this out to me, but will use 'inverse' from now on when describing a TQWT or its mass loaded [vented] ML variants.

Hmm, the only true Voigt pipes I'm aware of are those in his original patent, so only applies to horns and constant [straight] tapered TLs.

Anyway, speaker alignments are defined using electrical equivalent circuits, making TQWT [as you note] either expanding or contracting in area from the closed end, but I have, and will continue to more narrowly define them to keep from explaining what I mean each time or require the 'gentle reader' to have to look it up.

Unfortunately, since many don't agree with me presumably because it's not the most technically correct, it will only reliably apply to my postings AFAIK, so long past time for me to add an 'abbreviations' reference that will hopefully fit in my signature.

GM

same area/length as pipe

dave

The shelf vent shown will have a considerably different end correction that will tune lower than the equivalent area/length pipe, though in this design's case it probably isn't enough to matter in-room, but you can check it by recalculating it and convert it to a longer pipe of course:

GM

Attachments

• PortCorrection.jpg
    PortCorrection.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 702
You say traffic light I say robot :O

I added the ports but not the feet yet (lol, kinda don't like them - the feet).
I have to say the square port is lots more apealing, as you are not looking down its throat into the cabinet's tonsils...

Attachments

• voigt2.gif
    voigt2.gif
    89.6 KB · Views: 612