was planning on a voigt pipe, now not so sure.

You say traffic light I say robot :O

I added the ports but not the feet yet (lol, kinda don't like them - the feet).
I have to say the square port is lots more apealing, as you are not looking down its throat into the cabinet's tonsils...

LOL :) im sure a round port has SOME benefit though...however small. something to do with area to circumference ratio, friction etc.....saying that some additional port losses may be beneficial...

First of all apologize for the absolutely massive topic bump but I figured it would be better then creating a new topic.

Second, after many months occupied by finishing my grade 11 school year and working throughout the summer, in the last few days I have found the time to finally assemble my ML-voigts. They are now about 80% complete (with only the driver hole to be cut and the interior baffle to be made) and I'm looking for clarification about the driver placement.... Basically I need to know if the driver has to be countersunk. I don't think I have access to the tools nor the woodworking skill to do so..

When I get on my pc later I'll repost the designs I am following (though they are somewhere in this thread posted by planet10).

Thanks,
Russell

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
IIRC this is the one http://creativesound.ca/pdf/ML-Voigt.pdf

The Mark Audio drivers (of which EL70 is one) have a fat circular bezel. If this is left unrebated there will be an increase in the diffration signature, If you can't rebate the driver, you can use various methods to minimize the issue.

Pretty much it these amount to faking a rebate. Find a piece of material the thickness of the bezel (dense wool felt, wood, cork, plastic), cut a hole in it that just fits around the bezel and then place it over the driver and attach to the baffle.

dave

Pretty much it these amount to faking a rebate. Find a piece of material the thickness of the bezel (dense wool felt, wood, cork, plastic), cut a hole in it that just fits around the bezel and then place it over the driver and attach to the baffle.

dave

Dave,

This top-layer - should it be full length of the baffle or partial works too?

-Zia

Last edited:
Or do as I typically did and make a second full size baffle 'veneer' to both rebate the driver and stiffen it up, 'killing two birds with one stone'. ;)

Note that the rear of the hole ideally needs to be beveled out at >45 deg, but no need for any fancy router work, I just dug it out with a really coarse wood rasp file until I was able to afford an industrial strength Dremel-like hand held grinder/wood rasp bit to make quick work of it.

GM

Alright thanks dave, I think I'll take my chances with getting my dad to use a router to attempt to countersink the driver

Also, I don't fully understand the angled interior bevel. How can you screw the driver into the enclosure after effectively thinning what it's being screwed into

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The MA baskets are very open at the back so you can get reflections from a vertical wall on the cutout. You can bevel just that part not near the screws. If you built with ply like we do, what is leftover provides enuff meat for the screws.

If you want to go nuts something the heads in the direction of all-out (see picture) works too.

237252d1314296228-driver-hole-chamfer-alpair-7-el-baffle-cut.jpg

dave

this is probably the only time i can get away with saying this....

I have a dremel for routing/shaping the rear of a cutout, but i have in the past used a coarse rash and dare i say it? even a Bastard file every now and then...less woodworking and more wood abuse :D

P10 states about the MA drivers having very open backs, which is true, but in contrast to some Neo drivers which are very open, In my experience, the MA drivers are open but transversely rather than axially, with respect to the cone, so naturally and unfortunately reflections will occur. unless rounded off the inner edges have a profound affect in these cases.

Last edited:
Voigt pipe speakers - ADVICE NEEDED!
I am a retired architect with acoustic knowledge; I have no electrical knowledge. I am much more interested in music than in hi-fi per se ;-) . I sold my acoustic double bass and now play a redesigned small EUB "Electric upright bass" - so of course I have to take a separate amp=speaker combo - or do I? The bodyless bass will fit in a tube about 7" x 5" 48" long. If I was make a folded Voigt speaker with those dimensions the total tube length would be about 96" ... What would the bass frequency response be? I am using a tuning that means my lowest frequency is 32hz - is that unattainable with speaker of this size?

So what am I trying to do? Make a hard case for the bass which is ALSO a Voigt pipe enclosure. The bass & a soft case would slot into the wider/lower part of the leg, and the drive unit in the (inaccessible) upper part. SO I would no longer need to carry bass & speaker amp separately....