wanting to get into smps designing and building

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hehe, dont hold your breath ;)

i'm testing out a smps in it's simplest form, using an external signal generator and a low voltage source. just to get the feel for it.

i'd like to ask someone of the knowledgeble here the following:

what is the deffinition of a halfbridge and fullbridge smps?

and when using an IC for switching controll, how about voltage suply?
is a dropdown resistor used? are there high voltage IC's available?
so many questions... :)

thanks
-Marius

got the demoboard, the oscilloscope set up, the sig-gen wired up and the time on my hands to play around a litle.

thinking i'm gonna go for the simplest possible first, anything you see thats terribly wrong with this simplest of circuts?

thanks
marius

Attachments

• thebasic.png
    thebasic.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 426
hehe, thanks richie, i'm gonna do that. :)

i'm using 2sk1217 for switching, but i'm uncertain as to if it's a depletion or enhancement piece. gonna try it out tomorrow, se if it runs. had to go to an extra meeting at work, just home to eat and shower, then i'm back again.

-Marius

small updated schematic, this time, with a rectifier bridge.

i reccon thats what you reacted on eva?

if not, then i'm at loss as to what's missing or wrong:xeye:

Eva, Richie00boy and Onra, thanks for helping me out :)
appreciate it.

-Marius

Attachments

• thebasic.png
    thebasic.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 482
Your secondary side looks right now, however the transformer will saturate because the secondary side inductor will short it through the diodes during the off-time, thus preventing it from resetting.

Try to find a way to drive the primary in a symmetrical way, for example in push-pull.

ok, the circut is up and powered, though only wierd resoults have arisen so far, and no squarewave is yet connected. gonna troubleshoot a bit.
i altso have taken a few pics for your viewing pleasure :)

the switching frequency is 25kHz, Vp2p is 2v, the load resistor is 1k.
anything anyone would like to add to this?

i'l keep you posted.
-Marius

Attachments

• bilde 095.jpg
    bilde 095.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 396
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.