VSSA Through-Hole Version by Jason

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Jason,

I haven't written back to you in a very long time. I'm really happy that you are still working on the VSSA.

If you remember, I had asked for the boards to be black as you were having new ones made when I showed interest. You were kind enough to inquire about price and do the order. You had 10 made and I bought 6 of them. The other 4 were taken the same day if I remember correctly. Now that this bit of history is done, I would like to share with you what I have been working on for the past 8 months.

Yes 8 months as I have been over ambitious with this project. I will not reveal everything I did but will share some pictures of your gorgeous boards all stuffed with what I think are high quality components.

The VSSA are being used to bi-amp some Troels Gravesen speakers, the ELLAM Flex 3W. In my project, I wanted to also have the PSU in the amp but this proved impossible so the PSUs, some Audiopower SMPSs, have been put in a separate PSU box.

Here are some pictures.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

So, these are the pictures I have of this project so far. As soon as it is complete, I will post the rest of the set-up.

I have listened to these amps for about a week now and am very impressed. I also have a very knowledgeable friend listen to them and he was very impressed. My reference amp is the B24 from AMB. One really amazing amp. I have to say that your version of the VSSA impress me just as much!

Thank you very much for taking the time to make these and share so graciously.

One request I would like to make now is: Can you design these for balanced mode? It would be great if they could accept a balanced signal.

Thanks again Jason! Happy to know we have such talent in Canada!

Bertrand

HA!
Worked I think. Just resized these where they reside and bam! I've made them be 1024x768.
Fits on my screen.
This will stop it from detracting from the intent now.

Again, great design and sound! And, if I do say so myself, they look amazing! Too bad I couldn't find another cap that was red instead of green...

Also forgot to say a big thank you for the very clear documentation to set these up. Went without a hitch even for me who is not that experienced with DIY audio.

Have a great day.

Bertrand

I'm forging ahead with some changes to the design and will post information when I have it. I'm open to suggestions to incorporate into the next iteration of the design should someone have input. I will add to post #1 to hopefully keep things organized and accessible over time.

For now I'm going to put up a ZIP of the Gerber and Excellon files of the current version, should someone choose to have additional ones made for themselves.
Hi Jason,are this gerbers from the final version?

Hi thimios,

The posted gerbers are for the revision 'B' boards. There is a revision 'C' which is electrically identical with just a few minor trace routing and silk updates. If you are interested I can put up the files.

I am still planning on a revision 'D' which is mostly laid out that will appear more like the boards PMI did. I'm just not settled on my CCS option(s) just yet.

Hi thimios,

The posted gerbers are for the revision 'B' boards. There is a revision 'C' which is electrically identical with just a few minor trace routing and silk updates. If you are interested I can put up the files.

I am still planning on a revision 'D' which is mostly laid out that will appear more like the boards PMI did. I'm just not settled on my CCS option(s) just yet.
Jason thanks for your answer,i can wait for an updated version ,if you want to share this.

Finally :eek: Getting 'round to assembling My attempt
Started to assemble My DIY case.
Blind tapped the Heat sink holes.. bit of a Pain.
Then realised that JB Weld Might be easier for basic Case assembly..
It is :)
Using Kapton tape as Insulation of the Big devices. Hope it works .
Case photo.. It's upside down, 10" x 3" angle Ali for each board.
Should be enuff?
Too utlitarian in 'look', likely spray it in Wrinkle paint.
Now needs off to the local reseller of Cheap/ebay Chinese Electro parts for connectors rca's and binding posts.
Ohh possible? to connect a wee LED Somewhere to the board, Or it's supplies As a front panel on /off telltale.
No switch is planned as My 2 smps's will be individually outboard in their own boxes. Sigh More boxes.
At least Now I know I can glue them together :)

Seemingly Box building is More of an Issue than Board stuffing.
Unless I made an Error there?

Attachments

• DIY case VSSA .jpg
    DIY case VSSA .jpg
    311.2 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:
Ohh possible? to connect a wee LED Somewhere to the board, Or it's supplies As a front panel on /off telltale.

If you are using a toroid transformer, just take some fine wire and make a few turns around the transformer and measure - enough for say 5V. Assuming 2V for the LED, that leaves 3V. Put a resistor in series (3/R) to limit the current to 5-20mA, depending on how bright you want.

Sheldon

Thanks.. using SMPs.. For Now.
May use a pair of the Pass DIY Linear Supplies (24V) eventually.. IF necessary
Was curious re the Cap Bank Arrays on Royber's' SMPS's though.
In my limited knowledge ..are those Not a retrograde step to SMPS's?.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.