Visaton B80

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ideally I'd place the xo at 150Hz or lower. I know this is not optimal for the B80 but then... I'm sure the THD won't make me deaf ;)

I've never listened to any high quality speakers... Only cheap ones like the usual Philips spares etc. I did plugin Visaton FR10 8Ohms into myref and the image and stage was awesome. Just that it's rated at 30W max and 86db. Any options other than B80 that are better yet in the same price segment? I'll have to import any of these so price matters somewhat.

Any links to the CSD/THD measurements?

500 Hz and above is not an ideal place to put an XO so you'd be swapping one problem for another.

dave

What is problem with 500Hz XO?

Attachments

• Visaton AL170_B80.jpg
    Visaton AL170_B80.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 570
Last edited:
Ideally I'd place the xo at 150Hz or lower. I know this is not optimal for the B80 but then... I'm sure the THD won't make me deaf ;)
It will not make you deaf .. but will make a great driver play below average.. also, instead of flat 87 you'll get not so flat 83dB..
Any links to the CSD/THD measurements?
You got all the measurements posted earlier in this topic..

Hi vulejov,
please tell me which type of capacitor you used (105uF, 39uF, 28uF) ... elko-rauh perhaps.
The coils are with ferrite cores or so, I see by a low resistance.
Are you satisfied with ferrite cores at high frequencies in B80 sound?

Tnx

MKT capacitor are used for AL170, and MKP for B80..
All coils are on air.. with a thick wire can be achieved low resistance..

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The fact that someone does not like XO above 300-400Hz is no argument ..

You missed the bit about above this being in the critical telephone band -- you get the distortions from the XO in that critical band ... and ideally at any XO point the centre-centre driver distance should be less than a quarter wavelength. Lower XO means that is more likely to be realizable

dave

vulejov: Here's the bright thing that you wanted to hear: BiAmp (Bi-Amplification - Not Quite Magic, But Close) - Part 2
..This means that a suitable midrange driver must be capable of reproducing from 150Hz to 6kHz with good efficiency and without significant colouration..
..Many otherwise fine midrange drivers do not provide a wide enough safety margin below their recommended minimum crossover frequency, which causes resonances and other effects to colour the sound..
..'ideal compromise' will be different for every loudspeaker combination available..

If you use Visaton B80 with bass helper ideal compromise will be 500Hz..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.