Visaton B80

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Zaph would, I suspect, disagree. Here's some comments on their little titanium-coned midbass.

"Comments: Titanium cone midwoofer with a straight cone profile. Very well built but also very expensive. Smooth response with a large breakup node at 6.5kHz. Class leading harmonic distortion from 100-1kHz but rising above that. Low HD along with a low Le point to an excellent motor design. This will sound the best crossed around 1600hz to a large format tweeter, however it could work fine crossed higher depending on your tolerance of the 3rd order HD peak at 1800 hz. Tested July 2007."

I find the lower end products (FRS8) to be very good for the price.
Spend more, you'll get a better product.
A lot of people are also using the B200 from them.

Can't be all bad, it's a competitive market and they're still going.

Horntube

Hello,
it is not simple as you wrote,

i have good experience with different
Visaton driver,
the B200 was one of the best FR in
my Sat-Horns specially for classic
listener because the B200 has no double cone,
look a few constructions with measurements.

Attachments

• rdhb200web.jpg
    rdhb200web.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 2,600
  • Trombone jvo.kl.datei.jpg
    Trombone jvo.kl.datei.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 2,538
  • eckhorn o. Deckel,horn-sat.jpg
    eckhorn o. Deckel,horn-sat.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 2,544
The so-called German magazine Hobby-HIFI is a one person show.

The bass of the B200 is muddy, especially in comparison to other FR drivers. The mids are a rough ride to handle - they are lacking there - a real problem. The distortion diagrams are much worse than Alpair or Tangband and you need a gigantic box for them. I do not see one reason to use them.

Oh, the waterfall is only good down to 1kHz, under 1kHz it looks quiet bad.

Last edited:
HornTube, it seems you're going a bit too extreme. Visaton is just like other driver manufacturers, they do everything from dirt cheap to ridiculously priced stuff. B200 may be bloody expensive but they also build the small FRS8 and things in between.

Sounds as if you KNOW a lot about speaker manufacturing, pal. Do you work in Visaton so that you know how they build that ****? Or do you work for a competing brand?

Let say I know how they managed to break in the HiFi & HighEnd market over night. Before that they were a lousy more cheap than cheap crap producing firm no one respected. And yes I know that the B200 and other drivers are no-name Chinese made drivers, and yes the photos on their website are really faked!

HornTube, I suspect you're way too popular in this forum. I know it's fun to call someone naïve, but I won't do so. Respect yourself, sir.

The process you said is called out-sourcing. Virtually everyone's doing so.
You know the French firm Focal don't you? They are out-sourcing the cabinet production to a local carpenter. Does that mean they are rebranding cheap stuff as expensive "chic" stuff? Apple outsourced their productions to Foxconn, so they are crap. HP does so, Dell does so, who else doesn't!

You have to learn a new term called globalization. Local production cannot compete with global production, in terms of both cost and quality. It's time to move on, gentleman.

Hello,
"The bass of the B200 is muddy, especially in comparison to other FR drivers. The mids are a rough ride to handle - they are lacking there - a real problem. The distortion diagrams are much worse than Alpair or Tangband and you need a gigantic box for them. I do not see one reason to use them."

may be you understand the driver not, the only way to get the driver sing,
don´t use it in bass, lift between 100-400 Hz with 12 dB roll off, to use
the 96 dB over ~1kHz, in my sat-horn you will get it,
or in my double horns down to 30 Hz, it works because the B200 horn is
only a real low mid horn.

I know producer, production cost of 2$, but selling for 200, but the consumer knowledge
is low, hipe and marketing strategie makes a lot, but everyone has during a lot of
listening experience the chance to find the best speaker, a very good speaker
will be in your ears after minutes.

Yes, give millions away for ads and buy some Awards from the press and there you go. Tangband is also cheap but better so what.
B200? Oh please, give me a break. Ever heard of Gradient Axis?

... and yet you ignore Zaph's comments on their midbass? Can't be all bad then.

And Tang Band, with the recent increases in Nd prices, have become stupidly expensive.
A single (stamped frame!) 6" subwoofer for £100?!
Their 8" FR drivers have passed the $300 mark, and they weren't cheap to start with.

I know Visaton and you very obviously not, that's the point.

For all naive Apple users: A look inside the Foxconn suicide factory - Telegraph

As a Chinese, I know how Foxconn treat their workers. It's the pressure on them that drives them crazy, not the wage. Workers are treated relatively well, the only problem is how they isolate people to enhance efficiency and how they make sure no one steal designs and sell them to the others. Foxconn OEM/ODM for virtually every mobile device, from HTC to Nokia, from Apple to HP. The very PC that you're using is likely to be made by Foxconn. Things are getting better now though.

I don't see much problem with "Made in China". Arcam, KEF, Quad, Luxman, Wharfedale and Mission are all owned by Chinese companies, just to list a few. Face it, gentlemen. Even Eminence moved part of its production line to China.

As a Chinese, I know how Foxconn treat their workers. It's the pressure on them that drives them crazy, not the wage. Workers are treated relatively well, the only problem is how they isolate people to enhance efficiency and how they make sure no one steal designs and sell them to the others. Foxconn OEM/ODM for virtually every mobile device, from HTC to Nokia, from Apple to HP. The very PC that you're using is likely to be made by Foxconn. Things are getting better now though.

I don't see much problem with "Made in China". Arcam, KEF, Quad, Luxman, Wharfedale and Mission are all owned by Chinese companies, just to list a few. Face it, gentlemen. Even Eminence moved part of its production line to China.

I think that you did not even read what I wrote. No problem with "Made in China" but to declare Chinese products as "Made In Germany" is a problem.
BTW, I love TangBand & Alpair (China & HK).

Stop your nationalist propaganda and read that:
Stop being so naive about the Apple-Foxconn suicide | TechCrunch

Apple i-Manufacturer FoxConn in China Accused of Inhumane Treatment of Workers | UNCOVERAGE.net

Undercover Report From Foxconn's Hell Factory

The Foxconn Suicides

9 Worker Suicides in One Year at Foxconn Factory Making Apple, Dell, and HP Electronics in China - Associated Content from Yahoo! - associatedcontent.com

As China's Economy Grows, So does China's Child Labour Problem | CLB

Apple admits using child labour - Telegraph

BBC News | ASIA-PACIFIC | Rising child labour in China

may be you understand the driver not, the only way to get the driver sing,
don´t use it in bass...

Good joke:rolleyes:
There are other FR drivers producing clean bass so what. What is the reason for buying a huge FR driver and putting that thing in a huge cabinet but you can't use it for the lower registers. The TangBand 8" drivers & Gradient & Alpair are all capable in the bass region and they do sound tight & fast. Even more reasons not to use the B200.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.