Visaton B80

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
75dB?!

Human hearing instrument does not recognize phase..

edit. I found some measurements for Vifa .. greater distortion compared to Visaton, but not bad for the price..

Yes, good for even drivers costing 5x more sometimes. I don't think there is another 3 or 4 in driver that has a flatter response or as low HD for $60 or less. How much is the B80?

Many papers indicate, but do not give any proof.. Olive and Toole all theirs research base on double-blind hearing tests, but people used for that tests was trained before.. this is not objective at all, and no proof..

As things stand now, human hearing instrument does not recognize the phase.. but we very good responds to distortion, only reactions are different..

Let's not deal with psychoacoustics before we learn the acoustics..
So, you have a speaker with several times larger distortion and 12dB lower sensitivity than Visaton AL170_B80.. that is why you goes several times cheaper..

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Sensitivity of TC9FD is 85dB at 2.83v about same as Visaton B80. HD is typically -45dB to -50dB from 300Hz to 10kHz at 85dB and 1m. Data presented for XO and IR earlier was just for the XO visualization. Spectrogram shows pretty fast decay and smooth response. Where do you see that the B80 is superior?

Last edited:
Visaton is faster, lower THD, but I agree that Vifa is not bad at all..

However, since I do not make speakers every day more expensive drivers was option.. I've thought about combination with Visaton W170S, but AL170 works better..

Attachments

• Visaton B80 CSD.jpg
    Visaton B80 CSD.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 743
  • nautaloss-spectrogram-10ms-gate.png
    nautaloss-spectrogram-10ms-gate.png
    557.8 KB · Views: 736
Last edited:
That B80 does indeed have impressive CSD. And excellent system results as well.

The TC9FD still appears to be the bang for the buck winner. I'm going to get a couple to fiddle around with myself. It would seem that Visaton's B80 is competing at a different price level, with drivers like the Alpair 7, Jordan, Fostex FX120, etc. How can we even get these b80 drivers in the US?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.