Visaton B200+Eminence Beta 15=OB!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, here they are:

Well, it is different :) The bass changes, and while it still sound like OB bass, -open, there is a more punchier quality to it. The "attack" of the drums is felt more, and there seems to be better integration of the bass with FR. At certain points it feels like if the Bass if coming out of FR driver (which is not the case), so it means that the integration is good.
On the downside, the whole sound-stage is bit shrunk and not as airy/wide as before the mod, but I don't regret it, because it is still wide/big enough, while it is punchier than it used to be. "Punch" was the quality that I missed most on OB bass, and now some of it is there.

Beware that you need to experiment with the opening of the slot: if too narrow, it will choke the bass lines which will start to sound boomy and one-note-ish, just like ported boxed do. As you widen the gap, it start sounding more balanced. So you have to find the optimum gap, which will mean that you find the balance you like between the "punch" and "airiness".
Sorry for some audiophile terms :), but sometimes is hard to describe what you hear.

Summary: It is a worthwhile mod, and the only thing I regret is not having another pair of Betas so I could slot load them "face to face" as Nelson did. :)

@AuroraB

B200 is a good driver on Open Baffle only. However, I did not like them in their stock form, they have undergone some mods, like installing a phase-plug and Enabl mod. Still they needed some correction. I did it actively. For a hint, look here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/99662-visaton-b200-taming-shout.html

If you have a space, I wholeheartedly recommend an OB with a pair of 15's bass drivers, with active x-over....

Hello Vix,

i have Eminence Beta 15A and Saba green cone mids and highs, 2way active by PC (Thuneau Allocator software), crossed at 100Hz, slope 24db, and passive 1st order mid-high.

I want to make a T-bass circuit, the question is: you used the values as in first post of T-bass circuit link you provided earlier, or you tested and have better values for Eminence Beta 15?

Thanks!

have been LOVING my B200/Alpha 15A combo for years
Recently bought Erik de Best's Klang und Tone dipoles (2007/2)
http://www.lautsprechershop.de/inde...rechershop.de/hifi/audio_circle_dipole_en.htm

And with the subs on it sounds lovely sometimes amazing (plate amp <120Hz with the b200's playing without filter)

The b200 on their own it sound poor. I think the enclosures are hurting the performance of the b200 big time. Also need to do the phase plug mod.
Actually if I turn the sub-array around I will have something of a slot loaded arrangement? Hopefully will be able to experiment a little this weekend.

Attachments

• close-up B200.JPG
    close-up B200.JPG
    857.6 KB · Views: 597
  • back total.JPG
    back total.JPG
    836.7 KB · Views: 586
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.